Confirmed with Link: Muzzin to Toronto for 2019 1st, Grundstrom, and rights to Durzi

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Always have to wonder if there would be more of a bidding war leading up to the TDL but maybe Toronto upped their offer from recent ones and Blake pounced. Does good by Muzzin as well by sending him to Toronto.

Grundstrom sounds like the type of player this team needs. Yes, they need more elite talent but they also need a lot more effort and buy-in.

This has to signal more of a rebuild than a retool. None of the return is something that can replace Muzzin and there is nothing in Ontario that is ready to do so either, although replacing people when you are in last place might not matter too much.

Would love MacD to get a tour of duty here to finish out the season.

He should never see the NHL again. Worse than Phanuef.

More likely that Clague gets his "cup of coffee" now that Muzzin is gone.

Kovy must likely staying unless he forces a trade.

I dont think they will trade Kovy. But he wants to win a cup, so he'll ask to get moved.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
The Mayor called this - said Kings would deal Muzzin for a 1st.

Carter and Quick are next.

Kings will build around Kopitar, Doughty and Peterson. Team will be very different next season.

Next to go is Hagelin. Don't think they would move Fattenberg and I wouldn't move Thompson will all the youth coming in.
Dont say that to much,there's haters that will make excuses saying otherwise.:laugh:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Probably the one thing you guys can be excited for is that this 1st round pick could be a mid-round rather than late-round pick. The Leafs have not been good for the past couple months imo. Relying on talent a lot. Muzzin will help the defence for sure but I think the issue is more structure than personnel. Mike Babcock, possibly the most stubborn coach in the NHL, really has been struggling to adapt or get consistency. The team usually wins on a combination of MVP like goaltending and individual forward talent.

My expectations of them getting past the 1st round are no higher than like 30-40% right now. So this could end up being like a 16th overall pick or so and that's the range that a guy like Barzal was drafted (or even Liljegren last year by the Leafs who's looking pretty good). Grundstrom is a really nice piece to have long-term.

Leaf fan wondering if muzzin was just having a down year this year due to playing on a struggling kings team. Or does he look like he has lost a step and will be declining? Grundstrom is one of my favourite prospects. You guys will love to have him. Durzi is an overeager but has good skills and I think he will be a nhl player in 3 or so years. 1st rounder will be some where in 20s to maybe 31(if we can do the unthinkable). This deal is a really good one for the kings.

I have the same question, I know he was a legit top pairing guy around 2013-14 but haven't paid as much attention to the Kings recently and remember hearing how he was declining a bit last season.

Reactions: SlimCharles

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Omg I forgot he's on the team. Smh

giphy.gif

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
Not completely a fan of the trade,its ok but its Blake's job not mine.
Not completely a fan? Unless you value Durzi very highly which is possible, you posted on the trade board that Grundstrom and a 1st would get you a dial tone and number blocked. It would seem you are definitely on the side of this being a bad trade (again assuming you didn't already have your eye on Durzi?)

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Not completely a fan? Unless you value Durzi very highly which is possible, you posted on the trade board that Grundstrom and a 1st would get you a dial tone and number blocked. It would seem you are definitely on the side of this being a bad trade (again assuming you didn't already have your eye on Durzi?)
Not a fan of the trade.The 1st is going to most likely be late and not a huge fan on Grundstrom.Durzi is a nice piece.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
So don't say not completely a fan or its an OK trade. You dont like it, its ok...
Is a ok trade in my opinion,not spectator.Since the 1st is probably going to be late and Grundstrom is a top 9 player,I hoped for a better piece than Grundstrom coming back.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
It doesn’t exactly take Nostradamus to realize that a 1st was almost surely coming back in any deal for Muzzin.
Well considering 3/4 of the board thought this team was a contender since 2015,that statment doesnt say much.Theres a few who have given credit when its deserved.
:popcorn:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Toffoli, Carter, Quick, Martinez... sell sell sell sell.

If we can get scraps for Hagelin, Clifford or Lewis or Thompson I do that too.

I just dont know how to get rid of Brown, Kovy or Phaneuf.

They don't? Not in trades anyway. The Rangers wrote their rebuilding letter, and made one bigger non-UFA trade since writing the letter. Just because Muzzin went, doesn't mean it's Crazy Eddie time just yet.

Everyone on the main board is saying he can play the right side and I'm wonding if I've been taking crazy pills. Never seen him on the right side unless he was lost.

Nobody watches the Kings.

Muzzin doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would play his off side. He's not agile enough. Martinez is, but he may not be talented enough. That's why RHD are so damn valuable. They really are the closest thing to LHP's in baseball. That's why the Kings have had such a difficult time replacing Voynov. You rarely, if ever, see RHD play on the left side. It's pretty much always the lefty the switches, and he has to be a certain kind of player. If Muzzin ends up playing well on the right side, the Kings have been doing things very wrong.

And this group thinks that Quick won't fetch a 1st....lol

Goalies are more difficult to trade than defensemen. Especially older ones with years on their contract. Muzzin can play 1st, 2nd, or 3rd pair. PP, SH. Hell, maybe even the right side, who knows. Quick is either on the ice or on the bench.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It doesn’t exactly take Nostradamus to realize that a 1st was almost surely coming back in any deal for Muzzin.
Exactly. I think Blake did okay with this deal. I said in an earlier post what I would be looking for in exchange for Muzzin and it was a 1st round pick + a prospect hopefully having a good year in his first year in the AHL. At 21 years of age Grundstrom seems to fit the criteria I prescribed for the AHL prospect.

Durzi is a wild card in the deal and a nice bonus. He is at a minimum another asset for Blake to use in the future.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I don’t think it is a coincidence that Muzzin is performing well as an individual when the Kings are a bad team. I bet we look back and see this as a moment when the Kings sold high.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I've given Hoven credit when he gets things right that are real scoops: I have no problem doing so.

"Calling" that a Top 2/3 defenseman at a good cap hit would return a 1st round pick from a contender is stating the obvious.

Reactions: Maynard

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I have no opinion of Hoven, he is a modern day Dancing Boy. He obviously has a connection somewhere in the organization that sometimes provides him with good information. I wouldn’t say his hockey knowledge is anything amazing but he’s also not a moron.

Reactions: Reaper45

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
He should never see the NHL again. Worse than Phanuef.

More likely that Clague gets his "cup of coffee" now that Muzzin is gone.

I dont think they will trade Kovy. But he wants to win a cup, so he'll ask to get moved.

Worse than Phaneuf? Sign me up!!!

So they are tanking. You're telling me that the tank can be accelerated while also giving us paying customers at the games some entertainment value? I fail to see the downside to this. If it is development time for Clague, it can be at the expense of Fantenberg or even The Dion himself.

Reactions: Reaper45

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I have no opinion of Hoven, he is a modern day Dancing Boy. He obviously has a connection somewhere in the organization that sometimes provides him with good information. I wouldn’t say his hockey knowledge is anything amazing but he’s also not a moron.

I don't even dislike Hoven and have no problem with his existence in what is a tiny Kings news universe.

My issue is when I read things on here, such as "Brown isn't going anywhere. Organization says he is staying"

No. Hoven says he is staying. Maybe he is (not shocking at all) but the organization has not come out and said so. This is the point I've been making regarding him: he is not gospel but is treated as such at times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad