Injury Report: Muzzin injured || Out for the CLB series

TopProspect91

Registered Abuser
Sep 11, 2004
Toronto
You dress Marincin simply because he’s effective at the PK, where Muzzin was huge for us.

At 5v5, you reduce his minutes and play Dermott more. He’s been fantastic all series, now is his opportunity to play a bigger role.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Winning a three-game series is a short-term decision.

Player development is a long-term goal.

The Leafs can make short-term playoff roster decisions without sacrificing their long-term goals for their other players under development.

Furthermore, Marincin is expendable while younger high-value assets are not. If things go sideways, better it be on Maricin than on Sandin or any of the other young players you mentioned.

Chicago has 19 year old small puck moving D, Boqvist, in their playoffs lineup successfully because they have a proper partner (Keith) for him.
Two years ago Colorado had 19 year old small puck moving D, Girard, in their playoffs lineup successfully playing 22 minutes a night because they had a proper partner (Johnson) for him.
Toronto does not have 20 year old small puck moving D, Sandin, in their playoffs lineup - even when an injury is bringing Marincin into the lineup instead, because they don't have a proper partner for him and seem to have zero interest in getting one.

And considering that Sandin should have putting on some mass, but instead was told to stay in game shape, if they are not going to play him the team should have told him to stay home, put on mass from April until the SHL starts and then have him play there. Terrible development, which is par for the course for this team with their D.

If you are going to draft and sign almost a dozen small puck moving D, but never get them successfully integrated into the lineup because the design of your D-core is an embarrassing train-wreck then there was no sense drafting or signing any of those small puck moving D in the first place. Complete waste based on a bad vision and terrible execution.

Last edited:
Reactions: brhymes19

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Chicago has 19 year old small puck moving D, Boqvist, in their playoffs lineup successfully because they have a proper partner (Keith) for him.
Two years ago Colorado had 19 year old small puck moving D, Girard, in their playoffs lineup successfully playing 22 minutes a night because they had a proper partner (Johnson) for him.
Toronto does not have 20 year old small puck moving D, Sandin, in their playoffs lineup - even when an injury is bringing Marincin into the lineup instead, because they don't have a proper partner for him and seem to have zero interest in getting one.

If you are going to draft and sign almost a dozen small puck moving D, but never get them successfully integrated into the lineup because the design of your D-core is an embarrassing train-wreck then there was no sense drafting or signing any of those small puck moving D in the first place. Complete waste based on a bad vision and terrible execution.

You sound bitter. Did you miss the game last night?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

We all expect him and Lilj in the lineup regularly next year, no?

Seems to be more about the role than partner. Sandin could play with any of the RHD well enough but Muzzin leaves a huge PK hole which is something Sandin can't do yet.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He’s out for the round only because the next 3 games are within his 4 day quarantine. Sis is dating muzzins wife’s bro lol

4 days would make him eligible for game 5.
Aug 5,6,7,8
game 5 August 9

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
We all expect him and Lilj in the lineup regularly next year, no?

No. Who are they going to play with? If they are in the lineup with the Ds that Toronto has signed for next year they are going to look bad - which is something you should try to avoid to young D prospects.

Seems to be more about the role than partner. Sandin could play with any of the RHD well enough

Not true. Sandin looked pretty good with defensive D like Ceci and Marincin. Looked terrible with Barrie and Liljegren. As should be expected and would be the case with every young, small puck moving D who comes into the NHL - hence why those young, small, puck moving Ds are given proper partners.

but Muzzin leaves a huge PK hole which is something Sandin can't do yet.

Not really. CBJ has a terrible PP. And the Leafs have been fine on the PK without Muzzin. Last game of the season Muzzin was still injured but everyone else was back they killed off all 4 Tampa PPs with Dermott, Holl, Ceci and Rielly. Dermott should be getting more responsibility. He has earned it and the team should be seeing more of what he can do before next year anyway. (and Dermott played 50% more minutes on the PK than Marincin this season - and allowed fewer goals against despite the much higher minutes).

I get it - Marincin is going to play because he is the safety blanket that is needed right now. I have said so myself before the playoffs started that Sandin won't and shouldn't play. But if you need Marincin for a safety blanket after one injury then you have a poorly built team and you are doing a bad job bringing D-prospects into the lineup. And if the problem is that your D-prospects are the wrong type of D to play against big, heavy teams then you have a problem.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You are leaving yourself super exposed by only dressing 3 centres and a potential fill in centre in Engval.
No harm if you have to reduce Marincin's minutes and go 5D IMO
Barrie played less than 20 mins last night and he can easily play an extra 5 minutes.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
Dermott only played 15 minutes through 2 games. Pair him up with holl for close to 20 mins. Should be good but muzzin is still a loss.

I've been very impressed with Dermott in the first two games. I think he's ready for a much bigger role. Marincin however, I don't think I can say I've been impressed with him once in the last few years.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
No. Who are they going to play with? If they are in the lineup with the Ds that Toronto has signed for next year they are going to look bad - which is something you should try to avoid to young D prospects.
D isn't set but id expect them to pair together and shuffle in with other partners randomly early until they find a fit (assuming it's not with eachother)

Not true. Sandin looked pretty good with defensive D like Ceci and Marincin. Looked terrible with Barrie and Liljegren. As should be expected and would be the case with every young, small puck moving D who comes into the NHL - hence why those young, small, puck moving Ds are given proper partners.
Holl, a defensive D, is the one missing a partner, but they won't want to roll Sandin in to those minutes and play the PK.

Keith isn't what id consider to be a safe partner either fwiw. If they wanted Sandin in you could easily throw him with Ceci, Holl and Rielly to get icetime.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
D isn't set but id expect them to pair together and shuffle in with other partners randomly.

I hope not. I think that Sandin is a great prospect who has first pairing potential but that will only happen with proper mentoring. Hopefully they either keep him in the minors next year or trade him.

And Keith is one of most amazing D-partners that any young D could ever ask for. Boqvist improved immensely over the course of the season.

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
I highly doubt it will be Sandin. They need a LHD to PK and pair with Barrie as the 3rd pairing.
The easiest move.... is moving up Dermott and bringing in Maricin.
If it was any other RHD besides Barrie, you could consider Sandin. But a Sandin/Barrie duo seems problematic.

Unless they want to move Barrie up with Reilly, and pair Ceci with Sandin. But I doubt they want to go switching all the defensive pairings in the middle of a series.

They could also just keep Dermott with Barrie, just move Holl up with Reilly, and then make the 3rd pairing Sandin/Ceci.

Mar 26, 2010
Ouch, that hurts.

Best shut down D the Leafs have.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

And considering that Sandin should have putting on some mass, but instead was told to stay in game shape, if they are not going to play him the team should have told him to stay home, put on mass from April until the SHL starts and then have him play there. Terrible development, which is par for the course for this team with their D.

Did any of those players have significant regular-season playing experience before starting in the playoffs?

I don't know the answer to that and don't have time to investigate, but if so I think it would make an important difference on their career paths.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I hope not. I think that Sandin is a great prospect who has first pairing potential but that will only happen with proper mentoring. Hopefully they either keep him in the minors next year or trade him.

And Keith is one of most amazing D-partners that any young D could ever ask for. Boqvist improved immensely over the course of the season.
Keith is prone to bad pinches and overpaying situations because of his strong skating. He's got a lot of assets, but let's not make him out to be this stay at home D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad