Injury Report: Muzzin injured || Out for the CLB series

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
At least it’s “he’s out for the series, but may be back later in the playoffs,” and not “he’s out for the playoffs.” If it’s a neck/spinal issue, it must be either a soft tissue injury, or very minor spinal injury, not the more major spinal injury, which was probably the worst case scenario.

Obviously I want Muzzin back on the ice, he’s our 2nd best dman, but his health is the #1 priority so far. And at the moment, it doesn’t sound too major/long term.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Go Rosen or sandin. Rather have a skilled player who can move the puck with space then a giant ogre who sucks at making open breakout passes. All 3 guys probably struggle against cbjs forecheck but sandin is the most dynamic and has the ability to completely outplay expectations

Reactions: ToMaLe

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Happy to hear he's been discharged.

The task at hand became just a little bit tougher with this news. There could be some optimism within "rest of this series", depending upon how well his teammates can fare.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Too bad about Jake, but if he's back at the hotel with the team that's encouraging.

As for the D pairings with Muzzin out, I'd say don't fix what wasn't broke, as much as possible, so that puts Marincin with Barrie.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
YUP, write me in for Marincin with Barrie and MM can put some time in at PK.

I always roll my eyes when I see Martin has been extended year after year but he always seems to be next man up.
I would have thought Rosen was above him on the depth chart but I guess not.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Id say size. Sandin is not best suited for CBJ and he’s also still kind of raw. Some games he’s great, others he’s not that great
See Nick Robertson. Sandin all the way or it’s not even reasonable. Put Liljegren in for Ceci also and I wouldn’t worry as a matter offact. The better skaters and passers beat this trap team. Sandin has been smart getting pucks through to the net every game he played.

Sandin should get in and get his feet wet. Why would a good player/prospect not get in for this expierence. He does enough already to play a tidy safe game. Not replacing Muzzy but best option

Edit: I’m going to give Ceci his due. He’s been right there blocking shots and stable. I shouldn’t have been so out of touch because i have a pre formed opinion on him. He’s been really good so i take that back.

Last edited:

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

Never forget.

I love how he looks surprised during the celebration and has that face that says “ Did that just happen?”.

He used to go on some good rushes on the Marlies and looked like a superstar at times.

While I am very critical of Marincin and don’t really feel he should still be on this team, I think he’ll be alright against this Columbus team. His “wingspan” covers a lot of area and if can just keep it simple, it might not be too bad.

I may even put my life on the line and play the “WTF MARINCIN!”, drinking game.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Happy to hear he's been discharged.

The task at hand became just a little bit tougher with this news. There could be some optimism within "rest of this series", depending upon how well his teammates can fare.

Not much tougher, if we can't take CLB without Muzzin we have no shot anyway. The wording of the news is a bit vague but it does sound likely that he will be back soon and if he's back for the start of the next series, then it's all good.

Reactions: Buds17

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Put Sandin in and increase Dermott's role. I would rather have Dermott assume a bigger role on the penalty kill then have to drag around Marincin the rest of the time.
Yesh, Sandin is our future and needs to play for that crest on his shirt and get some pride in what he does for us through being depended on. Not MM

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The assessment which I see all over the place here, elsewhere (and basically agree with myself) that Marincin (6'4", 209 lbs) has to go in because of size (and the PK - although that is completely not true as far as I am concerned with Dermott, Holl, Ceci and Rielly still in the lineup) pretty much makes a mockery of the design of the Leafs' D prospect pipeline of Sandin (5'11", 187 lbs) Liljegren (6' 192 lbs) Kivi (6' 181 lbs), Hollowell (5' 10", 170 lbs) Duszak (5'10" 185 lbs) Lindgren (6' 161 lbs) Kral (6'1" 172 lbs) Kokkonen (5'11" 198 lbs) Loponen (5'11 187 lbs) Koster (5'9" 172 lbs). With the exception of Rubins (6'4" 220 - undrafted) and Rasanen (6'7" 209 who has fallen off the map).

We want and need small puck moving D until the games actually matter I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monsieur Gustave H

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not much tougher, if we can't take CLB without Muzzin we have no shot anyway. The wording of the news is a bit vague but it does sound likely that he will be back soon and if he's back for the start of the next series, then it's all good.

Could be. "Tougher" in the sense that Muzzin is one of the bigger minute players on that blueline. Possibly not unrealistic to suggest that this series could go the full five either. I am still optimistic about our chances of advancing.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Fun fact - Marincin is the second longest serving Leaf on the roster currently if you look at it from a 'when they first played a game as a Leaf' scope.

He was acquired in 2015 and played 65 games .. That edges out Nylander, Hyman, and Kapanen who debuted later on that season.

Only Rielly has been with the team longer.

With AJ and Engvall were within the organization, they were just new prospects in the system at that time.

Let that sink in.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
Hopefully he recovers and is healthy for round 1 if needed. If we play like game 2 again we can beat Clb without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad