Rielly Holl
Dermott. Barrie
Sandin. Ceci

1st PK - Hyman. Marner - - Holl- Ceci
2nd PK. Kerfoot. Kapanen. - Rielly Dermott

Reactions: Obo

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The only way he is back at hotel is if MRI came back clean - no spinal problems. You can pinch a nerve in neck and give you feelings you had temp loss of sensation. But best to take precaution and see how things progress over time. My guess is what Leafs have decided to do.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The only way he is back at hotel is if MRI came back clean - no spinal problems. You can pinch a nerve in neck and give you feelings you had temp loss of sensation. But best to take precaution and see how things progress over time. My guess is what Leafs have decided to do.

If Muzzin was seriously hurt I imagine the only option would be to let him go home and recuperate, not to go back into bubble life for an indeterminate amount of time with no access to medical attention and hope of playing. So I’m taking this as good news for him personally. If not the chances of him playing in the qualifier again.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
No point keeping 4th line to play 4 minutes. I think it’s less risky dressing 7 D and rolling with the best guy for the current situation.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I would drop Engvall and dress 7D. 4th line isn't getting much ice anyways. Marincin getting the majority of extra time but Sandin being used for the odd offensive zone start against weaker lines.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If Muzzin was seriously hurt I imagine the only option would be to let him go home and recuperate, not to go back into bubble life for an indeterminate amount of time with no access to medical attention and hope of playing. So I’m taking this as good news for him personally. If not the chances of him playing in the qualifier again.
Yeah and there is a chance he may play again in this series if it gets to a game 4/5 and he feels great. I have seen weirder things happen over da years with guys. It was best for Leafs to put out note he is gone for series because it takes pressure off him and rest of team and lets them focus on game 3. Nothing to say he can't come back if he is feeling great and is medically cleared to play and wants to play. But my guess they are hoping team can take series without him. You can bet Muzzy will be chomping at bit to play if he feels great today and tomorrow with no after affects.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This basically gives him a week of rest if the Leafs advance, so I don't believe it's serious. Likely more precautionary.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Yeah and there is a chance he may play again in this series if it gets to a game 4/5 and he feels great. I have seen weirder things happen over da years with guys. It was best for Leafs to put out note he is gone for series because it takes pressure off him and rest of team and lets them focus on game 3. Nothing to say he can't come back if he is feeling great and is medically cleared to play and wants to play. But my guess they are hoping team can take series without him. You can bet Muzzy will be chomping at bit to play if he feels great today and tomorrow with no after affects.

Nah man, he’s done for the series. He’s going to be out for at least the next 4 days minimum.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Only looking at D who played at least 20 games.

Sandin
Pros
- Had same 1st assist rate as Justin Holl.
- Actually hit at the 2nd highest rate for Leaf's defensemen.
- Giveaways were comparable to Rielly.
Cons
- Started 59.4% of his time in the offensive zone. Sheltered.
- Team's save percentage was the worst when he was on the ice.
- Plus/Minus: -7

Marincin
Pros
- His blocked shots rate was best on team, 14th in league
- Takeaways/60, Marincin was 48th in league.
- Playoff experience, career playoff experience Plus/Minus: +2
- 6'5"
Cons -
- Giveaways/60, Marincin was 2nd in the league
- Plus/Minus -1
- No snarl to his game.
- Leafs aren't playing Vancouver.

Think the two outcomes are going to be something like:
Rielly - Ceci
Sandin - Holl
Dermott - Barrie
or
Rielly - Ceci
Dermott - Holl
Marincin - Barrie.

Personally think I'd rather roll Rielly - Ceci and Dermott - Holl and then spot Marincin - Barrie as the third pairing.
Sorry to say, but Sandin so far starts in the opposition's end and his team still suffers the most defensively. Not a good combination.
Also with this being the playoffs, the team is playing tighter. Dependency on Marincin needing to do some elaborate outlet pass
should be less required.

Reactions: TopProspect91

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
It's not a clean play but I dont think it was THAT bad. He gets cross checked, stumbles and runs into a players leg. That being said, Keefe needs to sick Clifford on Dubois. Dubois has to answer for it.

...yeah right...not with these muppets lol...Clifford would have to catch PLD first, cause guaranteed PLD straight refuses to drop em over this...dirty players tend to be that way...and before anyone says it I don't give a hoot if PLD is normally clean...that was a dirty play, you don't criss check someone in the numbers by accident...and no I don't think suspension is warranted...but the guy shouldnt get off scot-free either

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Nah man, he’s done for the series. He’s going to be out for at least the next 4 days minimum.
Exactly what Leafs want everyone to believe ... it is da perfect PR announcement which means very little legally but sets expectations for a potential heroic comeback

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
...yeah right...not with these muppets lol...Clifford would have to catch PLD first, cause guaranteed PLD straight refuses to drop em over this...dirty players tend to be that way...and before anyone says it I don't give a hoot if PLD is normally clean...that was a dirty play, you don't criss check someone in the numbers by accident...and no I don't think suspension is warranted...but the guy shouldnt get off scot-free either
NO ONE ON CLB's wants to fight Clifford. It does them no good to have a guy beaten up. and Clifford is not going to just rag doll someone either. But it is good for our bench to have him on it. It is always best to have toughest guy on your bench to police da game.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
NO ONE ON CLB's wants to fight Clifford. It does them no good to have a guy beaten up. and Clifford is not going to just rag doll someone either. But it is good for our bench to have him on it. It is always best to have toughest guy on your bench to police da game.

Hopefully someone lays PLD out cleanly early in the next game (we have a series to win no sense taking penalties)

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Someone going at Dubois... Be it to fight or a big clean hit, would go a long ways in showing toughness. It shows you have eachothers backs. No I'm not saying to go all Todd Bertuzzi on him. But nothing wrong with a "hey that's not gonna fly here"

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Did any of those players have significant regular-season playing experience before starting in the playoffs?

I don't know the answer to that and don't have time to investigate, but if so I think it would make an important difference on their career paths.

Boqvist played 41 games in the regular season over two stints (essentially all with Keith) not much difference than Sandin's 28 games over two stints. The difference is that the Hawks seemed to be trying to build Boqvist up over the course of the season. I watched his last couple games of the regular season. Extremely confident. Yes, he is only getting #6 minutes in the playoffs, but he is playing against a team with McDavid and Drai on it. Great experience - he will be better for it.

Girard played the whole season - keep in mind 19 years old, smaller than Sandin, 47th OA - but he played with Nemeth (6'3" 230) for first half and Johnson (6'4" 225) for the second half and that latter veteran has been partner for the two subsequent years. Both Boqvist and Girard played more than 2 minutes a game on the PP during the regular season.

Sandin has been used to plug holes, played with a bunch of different partners and looked less confident as time went by. Girard and Boqvist were developed with a purpose towards the future.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Keith is prone to bad pinches and overpaying situations because of his strong skating. He's got a lot of assets, but let's not make him out to be this stay at home D.

Doesn't need to be a stay a home D. Ceci made some bad pinches when playing with Sandin as well. Needs to be a partner that the young D knows they can trust if the young D makes a mistake with the puck. That's not Barrie. Keith also has almost 1300 games NHL experience averaging over 25 minutes a game. 3 Cups, 2 Norris, 1 Smythe and has dealt with almost any experience that can happen on the ice.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Engvall looked great last night, no way I drop him.

If anything, it should be Spezza.

But I am not worried about getting Sandin in for maybe 5 minutes in a game. He's good, but he's not good enough to get him into the lineup by any means necessary. I am not even sure he should be on the opening roster next year...

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Only looking at D who played at least 20 games.

Sandin
Pros
- Had same 1st assist rate as Justin Holl.
- Actually hit at the 2nd highest rate for Leaf's defensemen.
- Giveaways were comparable to Rielly.
Cons
- Started 59.4% of his time in the offensive zone. Sheltered.
- Team's save percentage was the worst when he was on the ice.
- Plus/Minus: -7

Marincin
Pros
- His blocked shots rate was best on team, 14th in league
- Takeaways/60, Marincin was 48th in league.
- Playoff experience, career playoff experience Plus/Minus: +2
- 6'5"
Cons -
- Giveaways/60, Marincin was 2nd in the league
- Plus/Minus -1
- No snarl to his game.
- Leafs aren't playing Vancouver.

Think the two outcomes are going to be something like:
Rielly - Ceci
Sandin - Holl
Dermott - Barrie
or
Rielly - Ceci
Dermott - Holl
Marincin - Barrie.

Personally think I'd rather roll Rielly - Ceci and Dermott - Holl and then spot Marincin - Barrie as the third pairing.
Sorry to say, but Sandin so far starts in the opposition's end and his team still suffers the most defensively. Not a good combination.
Also with this being the playoffs, the team is playing tighter. Dependency on Marincin needing to do some elaborate outlet pass
should be less required.
Marincin is 2nd in league giveaways? We should not be playing this guy over Sandin.

Into the sun with him!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The best news is hes mainly okay and no long term damage.

While it sucks he will miss the next few games, I think Keefes system can hopefully slot in another body and get similar results.

Need to ask Dermott to carry a heavier load and probably bring in Marincin for sheltered bottom pairing and ok usage

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4