TSN: Mutiny among players about Therrien -Now with a poll!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I think you are strengthening ak90210's point with the numbers you cited.

An entire country (and multiple individual cities/towns) can put up with a coach of their favourite football team, who doesn't speak ENGLISH...in ENGLAND!!!

A province of "7 Mil" can mostly understand and/or speak English, yet they can't accept a coach who doesn't speak French (I should point out that there are some serious differences between France and Quebec given which continent they are parts of, their exposure or dependence on English, and how they do business.)

Also:

I did a very quick search of Ligue1 (French football league...as in France) coaches. It is well known that they hire coaches who can't speak French. Quick example:

http://www.chronofoot.com/om/om-fab...er-l-039-olympique-de-marseille_art42155.html

Explain to me why this is ok in France, for a team like Marseille
, but not ok for the Habs.

You did it yourself in your second ( ).

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I know they were just examples and that you didnt say you'd want Muller personally...

but I dont see why he would get a pass, from my personnal view it's because he's an average coach... but for all of those saying we should go for the best coach period, no preferential treatment for anyone (bigger pool and al'), I don't see why it would be OK for them either to give a pass to Muller. I mean, if they really want the best available, I think they'd be against ANY preferential treatment, no ?

Preferential treatment in this case means considering hiring a non-French coach, not actually hiring him over more qualified options.

I wonder if it's reasonable to hold out for some dark horse candidate who's been in the minors or some junior league, but who may be the next big thing. (And who's French.) Of course, we're probably all tired of the inexperienced thing. I mean really really the real deal. Tbf, Julien was good with us. Theo sank him. Then Julien become an idiotic sob after joining boston. (As is the initiation process into that organization.) Boucher was soooo sought after as we all know. We supposedly screwed up big time by letting him go to TBay. Then we were all counting (pun intended) the days until he would become available. Now we have serious doubts.

Yeah...I think I'd rather take a sure deal, as much as that's possible.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Preferential treatment in this case means considering hiring a non-French coach, not actually hiring him over more qualified options.

I wonder if it's reasonable to hold out for some dark horse candidate who's been in the minors or some junior league, but who may be the next big thing. (And who's French.) Of course, we're probably all tired of the inexperienced thing. I mean really really the real deal. Tbf, Julien was good with us. Theo sank him. Then Julien become an idiotic sob after joining boston. (As is the initiation process into that organization.) Boucher was soooo sought after as we all know. We supposedly screwed up big time by letting him go to TBay. Then we were all counting (pun intended) the days until he would become available. Now we have serious doubts.

Yeah...I think I'd rather take a sure deal, as much as that's possible.

but you understand this preferential treatment isnt hockey related right ? (he wouldnt get preferential treatment because of his qualities as a coach)... you get that ?

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
but you understand this preferential treatment isnt hockey related right ? (he wouldnt get preferential treatment because of his qualities as a coach)... you get that ?

a) you used the word preferential to describe him, not me
b) you know this, it's just your typical attempt at laying traps that nobody steps on
c) the original comment was that IF Muller were hired (assuming him being the best COACH, due to COACHING), he might get a pass from the language police. So that's reversing/abolishing the preferential treatment, actually.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
a) you used the word preferential to describe him, not me
b) you know this, it's just your typical attempt at laying traps that nobody steps on
c) the original comment was that IF Muller were hired (assuming him being the best COACH, due to COACHING), he might get a pass from the language police. So that's reversing/abolishing the preferential treatment, actually.

I know, and you said "pass" wich is more or less the same
(if you want to play semantics go ahead)

you should write novels for a living.

he's an average coach, therefore there's no reason for him to get a pass. Told you already. He's average, so if he ever gets preferential treatment it sure wont be because of his coaching abilities. Your example was stupid (Babcock was a good one, but Muller ? come on now - you're smarter than that), dont blame it on me.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Eleven votes for Ron Wilson. Incroyable.

Then I look and some of the votes are from people with "LeafFan" and "Bozak" in their usernames so it makes a bit more sense.

We do have at least one regular poster here who apparently feels that ****canning Therrien to hire an Anglo version of the same would somehow make sense. I will refrain from outing this person but Jeebus, anyone who would claim to want Ron Wilson to coach their team must be watching hockeyfrom some alternate universe.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Eleven votes for Ron Wilson. Incroyable.

Then I look and some of the votes are from people with "LeafFan" and "Bozak" in their usernames so it makes a bit more sense.

We do have at least one regular poster here who apparently feels that ****canning Therrien to hire an Anglo version of the same would somehow make sense. I will refrain from outing this person but Jeebus, anyone who would claim to want Ron Wilson to coach their team must be watching hockeyfrom some alternate universe.

It's BiggestLeafsFanEVER you're referring to, isn't it?

Wandering Maroon

Sep 11, 2010
If Boucher is the new bench boss, bring in a strong defensive coach. And no more of that embarrassing trap that he used in Tampa Bay.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
If Boucher is the new bench boss, bring in a strong defensive coach. And no more of that embarrassing trap that he used in Tampa Bay.

Louis Jean ‏@LouisJean_TVA 53s

Breaking: former NHL coach Guy Boucher accepts head coaching position with HC Bern of the Swiss league. Will coach his 1st game on Friday.

Naoned

Also:

I did a very quick search of Ligue1 (French football league...as in France) coaches. It is well known that they hire coaches who can't speak French. Quick example:

http://www.chronofoot.com/om/om-fab...er-l-039-olympique-de-marseille_art42155.html

Explain to me why this is ok in France, for a team like Marseille, but not ok for the Habs.

Just for starters, I'm all for hiring a coach who doesn't speak french to lead the Canadiens if he's better than french candidates. Most journalist speak english in Montreal, and if they don't, Bergevin could hire an interpretor. I'd be really intrigued to see how fans and media would react if we somehow signed an elite anglo coach... No offense to Cunneyworth, but his pedigree did not make the pill easy to swallow...

But as for your example, it doesn't really work. In France, french is the only official language. We are not surrounded by roughly 26 M strictly anglo canadians and more than 300 M americans. We never had to defend our language. In Quebec, french canadians had to fight to preserve their culture. You can't really compare these two situations.

Plus Marseille has not been under a foreign coach for quite sometimes now (unless you're talking about Gerets, who's from Belgium and speaks french). Ravanelli played in Marseille and says he'd like to be their coach at some point. But he'll probably never be, since he failed miserably in Ajaccio, his first position as head coach of a L1 side. Paris would have been a better example, Carlo Ancelotti (Italy) was the manager last year. ;)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Jesus christ.. this is a ****ing nightmare.

Unless he has an NHL out clause, we're ****ed with no solution.

AND it means Bergevin hasn't even been in contact with Boucher.

Top 10 here we come. RIP Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu, Leblanc, Bournival, and Gallagher.

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Looks like if Therrien goes, the replacement is either Lefebvre or Marc Crawford. :laugh:

My mother was fond of the quote "He who hesitates is lost". Bergevin hesitated, and lost. Given the "writing on the wall", this "miss" by Bergevin is quite simply unacceptable. Other mistakes he's made I expected of a rookie GM and was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, as long as he learned from them. This? Not so much...:help:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
anyone catch Sergio Momesso this morning on TSN 690? Very interesting bit. I like Sergio because he's no BS, he travels with the team and he gets insider info. so here's what he said:

1) all the upper management hockey staff is meeting in montreal over next couple of days for emergency meetings

2) a trade will occur before Therrien is canned.

3) Guys (he believes) though i'm convinced those names may have been floated to him - who may be traded include: Eller, Leblanc, Markov (if bergevin already feels he can't sign him), possibly another dman - he doesn't feel Beaulieu is ready

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
lulz at people thinking Therrien was anywhere near getting fired. Team would fail under Boucher too since Bergy doesn't have a clue.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
anyone catch Sergio Momesso this morning on TSN 690? Very interesting bit. I like Sergio because he's no BS, he travels with the team and he gets insider info. so here's what he said:

1) all the upper management hockey staff is meeting in montreal over next couple of days for emergency meetings

3) Guys (he believes) though i'm convinced those names may have been floated to him - who may be traded include: Eller, Leblanc, Markov (if bergevin already feels he can't sign him), possibly another dman - he doesn't feel Beaulieu is ready
Markov? Really?

And if we deal Eller, I'll be pissed.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

In other words, a stupid panic trade with long term implications...Dealing away part of the young core (Eller) after Bergevin promised he wouldn't touch the future.

Yep, seems about right for this stupid bozo Bergevin. So glad we got this "great, progressive GM"...

Maliki2

Mar 31, 2005
Saint Albans, VT
Markov? Really?

And if we deal Eller, I'll be pissed.

Markov has looked like garbage and he will continue to fall as he gets older. Trade him now while we can get something.

As far as Eller...he hasn't done jack **** in awhile either. Not against trading him either.

Its time for a major shake up.

Resigning a terrible Markov to a 3 year..5+ mill contract would be another disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad