OT: Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Best transition from accoustic to electric I've ever heard.

Cue in at 2:17, which is the tail end of the accoustic segment and listen through up to 4:37. There are so many delicious beats and patterns in there, they never get old.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
To be fair, I wasn't listening to heavier stuff at first, I started with bands like yours.. then came some others:

Apocalyptica
At first, they were 4 guys playing Cellos. They got bored of playing classical music and they were Metallica fans. So they made an album full of Metallica covers. 8 albums later, they are pretty well-known even though they never play on the radio. Some of their songs once played on MusiquePlus some years ago

Korpiklaani
Dubbed as happy metal. I went to 2 of their shows in Montreal. Even though half their songs are in Finnish, people really love them and they will even try to sing along. The band always seem happy and surprised by the fan reaction every time they're around. they were once releasing one album every year :laugh:. Their songs are mostly about booze and folk stuff from Finland. I'm a man with a plan and the plan is to booze as much as I can!

Alestorm
Another drinking band (from Scotland) but, this time around, they're writing stuff about booze and pirates. They also made a parody of Gaga's Telephone clip/song with Magnetic North

Grace is my favorite Apocalyptica song. I get shivers

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
I’m a country and rock woman although I’ll listen to most stuff, I’m quite eclectic, just not jazz or the plinky plinky stuff. Adelita’s Way is a hard rock band that I like.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Haha... didn't remember it was in NHL 09

Yup, I remember the songs very well for the NHL games I played, because I usually would play one for 2-3 years before buying a more recent one (read here before my parents would be me a new one).

NHL 09 was actually the last NHL game I got. I feel the games don't change much year-to-year nowadays.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was in the audience for a Jan Hammer concert during the 1991 Jazz Fest. His solos were magical, played off the keytar. And Tony Williams was right on top of it, with brilliant fills.

Lineup was:
Jan Hammer - Keyboards
Jordan Rudess - Keyboards (later Dream Theater)
Fernando Saunders - Bass
Tony Williams - Drums

Can't believe they have the whole concert on Y/T.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I guess it's more rock/metal, I am too old to enjoy the real heavy stuff, I am a sucker for the melodic type of rock bands from the 80s and I like some of the bands of today especially the ones with better vocalists.

Here's one that fits the above criteria. Carlos Santana hits this Stones's cover right out of the park. He does so many little things that add to the whole. Check out what he does at 5:12, just when you think the song is winding down, he pulls this little riff that bookends the song beautifully. Hoping you like it.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I should have said that I was an old school metal head, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC DC, DIO, Whitesnake and so many others. Based on your favs itseems that your preferences are much heavier than mine.
Same here, grew up on Maiden, Priest, Scorpions, Whitesnake, Ozzy, Dokken, WASP, Crue, Metallica, Ratt. Mostly what we’d call Hair Metal now but Columbia House had as Heavy Metal back then haha

Volbeat are probably one of the newer heavy metal bands I really like

Disturbed Sound of Silence might be one of the best songs I’ve heard in the last decade tho and love the video

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm too curious, what's plinky plinky?

I too found that label intriguing.

Closest Google offers is Plinky Plonk music, which the urban dictionary defines as:

A musical style that allows the listener to predict the entire track within 8 bars or less, usually favored by lesser talented drum and bass producers. ... Also included: Casio sounding Plinky Plonk synth presets, misplaced high reaching vocal/lyric, distorted bass stabs, trumpet samples.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta

Closest Google offers is Plinky Plonk music, which the urban dictionary defines as:

A musical style that allows the listener to predict the entire track within 8 bars or less, usually favored by lesser talented drum and bass producers. ... Also included: Casio sounding Plinky Plonk synth presets, misplaced high reaching vocal/lyric, distorted bass stabs, trumpet samples.
The wife and I went to see these guys last night. The sold out crowd who stood rather than sit for pretty much the entire show didn't seem to mind the plinky-plonk.

And given the news about Aretha Franklin's passing, the title of this song is on point today.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The wife and I went to see these guys last night. The sold out crowd who stood rather than sit for pretty much the entire show didn't seem to mind the plinky-plonk.

And given the news about Aretha Franklin's passing, the title of this song is on point today.

OK, that sequence of a guy breaking a heart with a hammer was more than I could take.

I was waiting for the singer to break into "Take onnnnnn meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, take me on ..." at some point. :sarcasm:

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
OK, that sequence of a guy breaking a heart with a hammer was more than I could take.

I was waiting for the singer to break into "Take onnnnnn meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, take me on ..." at some point. :sarcasm:
If that's more than you can take then you'd have had trouble with singer Andy Bell's "costume" last night which consisted of what amounted to a speedo. That, and his heavily tattooed body was all he was wearing by the end.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hey come on. Let's not fat-shame a dead person who can't defend themselves.
:sarcasm:

Too soon? :sarcasm:

Franklin wasn't exactly careful about her diet in the last few years. There is this one story from a hotel manager where he described how Franklin booked a room for 4 days and had all of her meals ordered in, all of them junk food. When she finally left the room, there was a stench of flatulence that was so overpowering, that the cleaning staff complained and there usually not much that fazes them.

Reactions: Laurentide

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If that's more than you can take then you'd have had trouble with singer Andy Bell's "costume" last night which consisted of what amounted to a speedo. That, and his heavily tattooed body was all he was wearing by the end.

I guess to each their own musical ... ugh, tastes? Not for me but the beauty of music is how there is an audience for everything. Hopefully you enjoyed your evening.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Same here, grew up on Maiden, Priest, Scorpions, Whitesnake, Ozzy, Dokken, WASP, Crue, Metallica, Ratt. Mostly what we’d call Hair Metal now but Columbia House had as Heavy Metal back then haha

Volbeat are probably one of the newer heavy metal bands I really like

Disturbed Sound of Silence might be one of the best songs I’ve heard in the last decade tho and love the video

Wow is all I can say in response to this post! We have identical tastes in music, I forgot good old Blackie Lawless, "I'm a wild Child". I have seen Eddie in you avatar and assumed you were a Maiden fan. I also loved bands like Great White(Jack Russel is one of the great vocalists of all time), Dokken was and still is another fav of mine. I have listened to sound of silence about 100 times no lie. I also completely love Volbeat, cheers my friend, here is a fitting end to my post.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017

It’s an actual thing? Sounds about right, bands like Chic, I don’t like that style.

Shame about Aretha Franklin she was great

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I guess to each their own musical ... ugh, tastes? Not for me but the beauty of music is how there is an audience for everything. Hopefully you enjoyed your evening.
I had fun but if not for my wife wanting to go I doubt that I'd have spent money on an Erasure concert. I've got tickets to see these guys in October. Much more my style.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Could listen to this all day long ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad