OT: Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Wow is all I can say in response to this post! We have identical tastes in music, I forgot good old Blackie Lawless, "I'm a wild Child". I have seen Eddie in you avatar and assumed you were a Maiden fan. I also loved bands like Great White(Jack Russel is one of the great vocalists of all time), Dokken was and still is another fav of mine. I have listened to sound of silence about 100 times no lie. I also completely love Volbeat, cheers my friend, here is a fitting end to my post.

That’s awesome! I got to see Volbeat live a few years back at a rock festival, they came on after GWAR (one of the funniest/weirdest bands I’ve ever seen live...)

For the concert goers out there interested in thoughts on most surprisingly good shows and most disappointing acts they’ve seen live

For me hands down one of the best unexpected great shows I’ve ever seen was Linkin Park with the late Chester Bennington. It was at a rock festival and they were on just before Metallica, hard for me to say it but they blew them off the stage. Always liked their music but didn’t realize how many great songs they had and watching Chester live was something the albums didn’t do justice for

Most disappointing was Van Halen, saw them on the reunion tours with both Sammy and DLR, if any band looked like they were 100% sellouts in it for the money it was both of these shows - maybe back in the day it was different but went home really disappointed- maybe moreso with Roth as the music just sounded like crap, could barely tell one song from another

Reactions: OldCraig71

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Sorry to the news about Aretha, what a great powerful voice.

Glad she was in the Blues Brothers movies along with other legends.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Sam Smith (an English singer not sure if he’s known over here) has got a load of grief on social media for saying he doesn’t like Michael Jackson’s music. I’m putting it on record now that I can’t stand Michael Jackson’s music and I’m not that keen on The Beatles.

(useless fact I share MJ’s birthday disappointingly, luckily I’ve since found out the great Chris Hadfield also shares my birthday)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Some Canadiana, to soothe our virtual wounds.

I never tire of this. Timeless.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
April Wine, seriously underrated Canadian band. Love how they line up their guitar parts at 2:41.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Some good ole fashioned rock. If you watch the clip, you can definitely tell they're Canadian ...

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Rise Against were at Osisko en lumière in Rouyn-Noranda last week. Amazing show, as always. AFI were meh tho. They really changed their style. I still remember the good ol AFI

Ahhh.... Rodney Mullen and old school hardcore Punk... nothing better.

Anti-Flag were in Shawinigan at the same time.I think.. :(

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
You guys may like the Struts, it's very close to old hair metal bands

And Greta Van Fleet is the closest to Led Zep

Greta van vleet's similarity to led zep borders ( if still not formally crossing into) appropriation. I'm not saying it bad, per se, but everyone of their songs drips with deja vu.

as a vehicle to get people to go back and listed to led zep again, its genius. as a stand alone band, not so much.

but to each his own.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I like a few songs by Alice in Chains. Tool is another band that I've never been able to like completly. I own 2 or 3 albums but I only like a few songs. Somehow, I kinda like some covers that people have been doing better than the original songs

I'm not sure about the vocals though... well.. at least for the first 2min

this song though

Reactions: OldCraig71

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Used to contribute there and forgot about it. Thanks for the heads up.

Also, several team forums have their own version of this thread.
I don't visit other teams forums, if I did, I'd never get off this site. :laugh::huh:

That thread is great way to discover new artists. In the last part, I had a daily alphabetical Beatles cover thing going. Found some great stuff that way, in particular these girls which I absolutely adore.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I like a few songs by Alice in Chains. Tool is another band that I've never been able to like completly. I own 2 or 3 albums but I only like a few songs. Somehow, I kinda like some covers that people have been doing better than the original songs

I'm not sure about the vocals though... well.. at least for the first 2min

this song though

With you on Tool, my buddy is a huge fan and dragged me to one of their shows thinking he would convert me but don't think I was 'medicated' enough to crossover

One of my favourite blending of songs below

Don't love either's previous versions of the song and was never really a Boss fan growing up - thought he was too much on the Pop side with Born in the USA but he's grown on me as I listen to him more in my older age.

Poor guy tho in this one, works his ass off to do a solo and then Morello's makes it look like a walk in the park, especially at the end - lesson in talent vs hard work for our GM maybe lol

Reactions: ArtPeur
Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
I can't believe I saw this thread title for so long without even clicking on it...

Some Thunderdome classics (1252 Stanley, next to Chez Paree. Gone but not forgotten)

Oh man... your post just hit bull's eye for me. The Thunderdome (I coudn't care less about the naked women downstairs :laugh: ), Alcatraz, La Cour, La Nausée (now Le Loft?)... So many great memories.

Reactions: Laurentide

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
April Wine, seriously underrated Canadian band. Love how they line up their guitar parts at 2:41.

Had interesting discussion tonight about state of Canadian music. There was a golden age from the 70s leading up to the Hip. But then it started to fade with some notables here and there and since, say, the Arkells what has there been? And why the decline?

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad