OT: Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Not what I gravitate towards, but this instrumental post-rock band is great. Love this album.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For your question, it's simply a box that redirects you to the "Yoel Suban" track. You can press "x" on the top-right corner as you move your cursor over the artist name and title.

You are right. There isn't much of a techno scene in Montreal. This past winter, however, I went to see "I Hate Models" & "Stranger" at a location in Verdun. It was well organized, the venue was nice, and the sound system was more than adequate for the type of music playing. The event was presented by OCTOV (<--- Facebook page). Their next event is on August 17 if you're interested. Also, Igloofest has been a blast these past couple of years, with good House and Techno artists playing in Montreal.

As for great vocal Trance tracks, here are a few:

Solarstone - The Spell (ft. Clare Stagg) (Pulser Remix)

Headstrong - Tears (ft. Stine Grove) (Aurosonic Progressive Mix)

Above & Beyond - Love Is Not Enough (ft. Zoe Johnston) (Original Mix)

Yuri Kane - Right Back (Anton Firtich Remix)
Yuri Kane - Right Back (Anton Firtich Remix) [HQ]

Wendel Kos - Restlesness (ft. Rose) (Original Mix)
Wendel Kos Feat Rose - Restlessness (club mix by dj coverius)

Dash Berlin - Till The Sky Falls Down (Original Vocal Mix)
Dash Berlin - Till The Sky Falls Down (Original Vocal Mix)

I own a trove of Trance music, which I'll have to rediscover someday.

Enjoyed Above & Beyond, nice crescendos in there.

Yuri Kane's beat track sounds canned, reminds me of the type of backbeat they used in the 70s. Wendel Kos goes a step further into retroville with a claptrack, which evokes the disco era. Dash Berlin also has a canned beat. Are these tracks from a long time ago?

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
A long time ago when I lived in Sweden I turned on the TV and and there was a Cuban artist named Silvio Rodriguez, he sat with an acoustic guitar and sang a song about a Chagall painting the song was called óleo de mujer con sombrero. I wrote down the name and forgot about it. Then many years later when I lived in Virginia I watched an art house movie and there was this song and I stayed to see who it was and it was sung by an American but the composer was Silvio Rodriguez. So I bought his 6 first albums. This was the second time I bought music that was neither in English or Swedish (I bought Brel and Georges Brassens in French). He is an excellent guitarist and he's really big in South America and Spain) I learned some of the songs. Here's a really good one called La Maza

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was on this when it came out. Twas groundbreaking. Made me laugh a couple of years ago when this guitar player with a master's degree was trying to introduce me to it, as he had just discovered it, lol. Paco hits it out of the park.

Features an uber talented trio of Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola and John McLaughlin.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not what I gravitate towards, but this instrumental post-rock band is great. Love this album.

Post-rock is not a genre that I was familiar with. There is a dreamlike quality to it that evokes some of the trance music you posted.

Post-rock is a form of experimental rock characterized by use of rock instruments primarily to explore textures and timbre rather than traditional song structure, chords or riffs. ... Prominent post-rock groups include Sigur Rós, Explosions in the Sky, Mono, Godspeed You!

I didn't know there so many bands doing this: List of post-rock bands - Wikipedia

I could see playing this kind of music while you're on long road trips, something about it makes you want to travel long distances. Imagine driving through what's left of Route 66, head to the Grand Canyon or any destination that promises amazing sights and views.

Or maybe, this is the music that will be heard more and more when marijuana becomes legal.

Edit: Finished listening to the whole thing -- it's amazing, thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Reactions: PhysicX

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Reading the user comments from your clip above, I saw references to others in the same genre and God Is An Astronaut came up. So I hopped on this:

Beautifully textured music. Are you familiar with them?

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Reading the user comments from your clip above, I saw references to others in the same genre and God Is An Astronaut came up. So I hopped on this:

No, but I will listen to it next time I'm gaming. Background music.

Reactions: Runner77

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

You should lookup for Godspeed You!, they're from Montreal. I haven't been listening much to post-rock for a while. I liked Godspeed and Sigur Ros as background music while I was doing other things. These two are probably the best:

I often feel like it's more or less the very same music/chords across the bands

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No, but I will listen to it next time I'm gaming. Background music.

Listened to the whole thing and it is to my novice post rock ears, in the same genre as Red Forest.

Funny how one track leads to another. Music is fascinating that way, an endless source that always finds its way to some other thing just as fascinating.

Reactions: PhysicX

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone familiar with this? Strongly recommended if you're a prog afficionado or if you're simply a fan of quality musicianship. Enjoy.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
The best song of all the time : Imagine - John Lennon.

My favorite song of all the time : Unforgiven - Metallica.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The best song of all the time : Imagine - John Lennon.

My favorite song of all the time : Unforgiven - Metallica.

I still have a soft spot for this ...

At 5:06, "Bob Mayo on the keyboards! Bob Mayo!"

Frampton on the talk box.

And from 11:27, one of the top rock guitar solos of all time. A tour de force taking it to heights unknown, a rich, powerful sound that takes me away every time, love every note. The type of solo that some musicians will never come up with a lifetime. A masterpiece.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Theres nothing good on that list, youre fine.

Osheaga was a bit ho hum this year but from that lineup i would have gone to

Future
Mac Miller
Cypress Hill
Gramatik
Vince Staples
The Underachievers
maybe Elephant Stone

weird i thought Tyler the Creator was at Osheaga this year but he's not on that graphic list

i mainly didn't go this year because way too hot and all those acts would be better in a club than a festival except maybe cypress hill with a big crowd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad