Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I really like a good metal song, as long as it just doesn't constitute some guy screaming into a mic. Then it's screamo.
Well, what I understand of screamo is that its bull****. Metal is one those terms that nowadays you can put almost anything under it.

I like mostly 80's and early 90's metal. Heavy, death, black, doom. Variety of stuff. Iron Maiden, Manilla Road, Black Sabbath (Dio is one of my favourites) etc.

Also the more extreme stuff like Entombed and Carcass

And a lot of whats between. Not just bands that recorded at that time but those who make music in the spirit of those times.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Type O Negative's cover of Black Sabbath's paranoid is probably in top-3 cover song on my list. Quickly thinking others are All along the watchtower by Jimi Hendricks and Hurt by Johnny Cash.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I shall play music on random until baseball starts.

Currently playing:

"Bladow!" by Busta Rhymes

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
You guys and your rap music...

Here's a sampling of some stuff I listen to:

[collapse=video1] [/collapse]

[collapse=video2] [/collapse]

[collapse=video3] [/collapse]

Toss in some White Stripes, Black Keys, Sheepdogs, and Foster the People (among others) for good measure.

I listen to everything you have listed here. :handclap:

Jake Bugg is great, not many people are familiar with him though.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Now the 'Pac/Biggie & East/West Beefs were legit. Rumors of 'Pac sleeping with Biggie's wife. Speculation that Biggie was behind 'Pac being shot. Someone shooting up the DPG trailer while filming their New York, New York Video.... etc.

One thing that always bothered me about that beef was how some people thought Hit Em Up was the greatest song that ever came out. It was so shocking at the time because of how blunt Tupac was, but as far as songs went, it was pretty terrible.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
One thing that always bothered me about that beef was how some people thought Hit Em Up was the greatest song that ever came out. It was so shocking at the time because of how blunt Tupac was, but as far as songs went, it was pretty terrible.
:laugh: yeah, it's really not a great song.

I think that was why I prefered the MC Eiht/DJ Quik beef. I like both artists and the songs were pretty good IMO.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Could only choose one option, but I listen to drum and bass mostly I guess, so chose "electronic" which is a vast term for a lot of very different types of music.

Also listen to a lot of old school hip hop and newer underground rap, and a lot of reggae/dancehall.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm on the Drake train. It's usually not the type of rap that I like, but I finally listened to the entire Dre album last night and Drakes If Your Reading This its to Late album is so much better it's not even funny. And I grew up on Dre.

That album has a certain flavour to it and you can listen to it from start to finish.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Not a lot of (heavy) metal fans here I guess? I dont listen a lot of "traditional heavy metal" but this guy simply has a great voice. Top-5 in the world for me. Bonus points if you recognize him without google.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFXcvqgWkHw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q__JrLTDOGo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSus9jRxcNs

I listen to a lot of metal but since I didn't see it on there, I voted traditional/ethnic since what I listen to almost as much as metal is probably music from Ex-Yugoslavia and the successive republics.

I usually stick to a lot of Folk Metal like Eluveitie, Viking Metal (which I suppose can fluctuate between Death Metal and Folk Metal bands) like Amon Amarth and Tyr and Power Metal bands like Iced Earth, Blind Guardian (who I am seeing in November and am STOKED about it!) and Sabaton.

You also can't go wrong with classics like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc.

Aside from metal, I listen to a decent amount of blues (SRV, BB King, Chuck Berry, Clapton, etc) and jazz and have recently started getting into some (I suppose you could call it...) Pagan folk groups like Faun (Germany) and Wardruna (Norway). Pretty much if it sounds good to me and resonates with me, I'll listen to it.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Aside from metal, I listen to a decent amount of blues (SRV, BB King, Chuck Berry, Clapton, etc) and jazz and have recently started getting into some (I suppose you could call it...) Pagan folk groups like Faun (Germany) and Wardruna (Norway). Pretty much if it sounds good to me and resonates with me, I'll listen to it.

I also listen variety of stuff, but I guess I dont really focus on any genre, I just pick what I like from every genre. 99% of this being rock in some from (when used really loosely, including basically anything that has guitars).

Does Moonsorrow work for you?

And since most of you here are Canadian, heres an anthem for you :naughty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJmR_cA4MpQ

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really dig instrumental jazz (horn and piano heavy) when I'm relaxing. But I don't have any downloaded or anything because I don't know who is good. Anyone here listen to jazz (maybe blues could fit too) that could recommend some artists?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I really dig instrumental jazz (horn and piano heavy) when I'm relaxing. But I don't have any downloaded or anything because I don't know who is good. Anyone here listen to jazz (maybe blues could fit too) that could recommend some artists?

Dave Brubeck and Oscar Peterson.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
Just saw this thread... and what was the OP smoking when they decided to leave "metal" off the list as a genre???

And do not begin to tell me that "hard rock" covers that...

Wow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad