OT: Music Sharing Thread 2

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
I be 2;30 in, some guy in the band and I'm like "What is that even" ? hehe

Weirdest looking band in the world competition. my wife would be whats all that silverware stuck in her face.

I did manage to get my wife to get into Metallica a bit, Led Zep, Smashing Pumpkins (she actually requested Siamese Dream the other day, we're making progress) but this would be right out of her comfort zone.

She sure didn't do well with the newage punk videos I posted up above. She's decidedly against punk in all its forms. To get back at me she listens to Country music.

ps The Swedish girl looks 16, avert your eyes. ;)

Crank it!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is the metallica song and version that gets my wife everytime. Nothing else matters

With zep she's partial to Physical Graffiti which is pretty good taste because I freaking love that album.

Pumpkins its Siamese Dream album. We got to see Pumpkins twice, Metallica twice. Pink Floyd, so many others.

Reactions: MesstoFace11

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Guess Miley's found a new love for Rock because of doing this classic. Sounds like some pretty killer meaty vocals!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^Powerful vocals. Really good.

I expected not to like it, but shes got it, definitely got it. Found this one a couple weeks ago.

dont like how she emphasized the Na Na Na parts though.

Reactions: Dorian2

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Not a fan of Miley.

:thumbd:

Would rather listen to Bonnie Tyler.

The thing I like with Miley is her willingness to step out of her own comfort zone to do something different than the average Pop diva would. Although I don't actually listen to her music except for when the odd video shows up here or there, I respect the possibility that what she's doing at a much larger capacity along with a younger crowd could generate some positive side effects for our own gnre and generational preferences as well. She's one of the few artists that still use an instrument playing band due to her own country roots that are deeply tied in with the past stars of that genre. I'm hoping that if artists like her can inspire people that would otherwise not listen to too much of this music might be inspired to either start listening and demanding better musicianship and content rather than the music that's built on auto tune and recorded to the unchanging tracking tempo with no variation. Particualrly in the most popular music form today that''s EDM. ** Not taking anything away from some of the really good EDM artists, DJ's, and many of the Pop artists out there BTW...more to do with the big labels pocket wads of cash....

But I also like to listen to different shit all the time as I get bored really easily. ;)

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not a fan of Miley either but i was immediately impressed with her singing ability and being able to belt it out, and she has some range, flexibility, and can jump musical genres better than what I would have expected. Also appreciate that she's even into these genres and familiar with them, and the love of them is evident in how she performs the songs with passion.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Not a fan of Miley either but i was immediately impressed with her singing ability and being able to belt it out, and she has some range, flexibility, and can jump musical genres better than what I would have expected. Also appreciate that she's even into these genres and familiar with them, and the love of them is evident in how she performs the songs with passion.

I was wondering if she's singing closer to her natural range myself. She seems to be more contralto than the few I've heard before. I certainly could be wrong though as I haven't heard much. I'm also a fan of her Godmother, so there's that. :thumbu: She still has some work to do on zeroing in on the range in that singing style though. Sounds like she's just getting used to singing that way to me.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I love seeing a good old kid from Saskatchewan helping to save country music that's currently circling the drain down south. His is the best version of this song. But he pretty much kills it in everything he does. (Strange thing: he's former Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall's son.)

One more:

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I love seeing a good old kid from Saskatchewan helping to save country music that's currently circling the drain down south. His is the best version of this song. But he pretty much kills it in everything he does. (Strange thing: he's former Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall's son.)

One more:

Although I'm not too crazy about his vocal style I do appreciate what he's doing. Sounds like he's got a much older school style tapping off Johnny Cash influences along with something familiar I can't quite put my finger on. For some reason the 1st tune gave me Gordon Lightfoot vibes though. Thanks for sharing. Go Canada.

BTW: I try to listen to any songs that people post and give my 2 bits on what goes through my head when I listen to it. It's not to try to come across as knowledgeable.....I just love bouncing my own thoughts on them in words. Helps me relate better to music I'm not familiar with.

Last edited:
Reactions: soothsayer

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
BMTH have really put out some bangers recently. They're quickly becoming one of my favorite bands (again).

This was released yesterday.

Their next single "Kingslayer" in collaboration with Japanese metal-pop band Babymetal has leaked and is pretty cool too.

Babymetal is a pretty special and unorthodox band btw for those who aren't familiar with them. Really cool mix of metal and j-pop.

Interestingly they're a lot more famous outside of Japan than inside it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I was wondering if she's singing closer to her natural range myself. She seems to be more contralto than the few I've heard before. I certainly could be wrong though as I haven't heard much. I'm also a fan of her Godmother, so there's that. :thumbu: She still has some work to do on zeroing in on the range in that singing style though. Sounds like she's just getting used to singing that way to me.

You got me at Contralto. I just enjoy music, I know nothing about it. I can't comprehend music notation even. Part of that being I can't tell one note from the other. I can remember in my head exactly what countless songs sound like, but I can't play music, can't read notes, I just seem incapable at any of it and tried learning multiple times. Many of my friends, in bands, they just listen to a record and they know what notes are being played, pick up a guitar and play the song in minutes. I sit transfixed like magic occurred. lol I understand music less well than I understand calculus. heh

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I don't listen to enough Rory to be considered a fan, but I love the stuff I've checked out. He really seems to be under a lot of radars for his super progressive style in that genre at the time. Maybe another one of those "guitarist guitarist" types?

@Drivesaitl , think "Cher" for Contralto. But I'm wrong on this count. I've just taken up voice study so I'm really new at it at this point.

Many people seem to think that Miley is a coloratura contralto because a common misperception is that any low voiced female is a contralto. However, Miley is a mezzo-soprano. Many low voiced women are, in fact. Contraltos have a specific timbre and a certain androgyny to their voices; Miley’s voice – while deeper than the average woman – is too feminine to be contralto. She can go quite low when singing, yes, but that does not make her a contralto. Similarly, she is not a coloratura because coloraturas have agile voices; hers is not. Her voice doesn’t have the light and flexible quality of the typical coloratura. Mezzo-sopranos have lyrical and dramatic voices, so now you can see why Miley fits into this category. Her singing voice is dramatic, bright, and very lyrical.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't listen to enough Rory to be considered a fan, but I love the stuff I've checked out. He really seems to be under a lot of radars for his super progressive style in that genre at the time. Maybe another one of those "guitarist guitarist" types?

@Drivesaitl , think "Cher" for Contralto. But I'm wrong on this count. I've just taken up voice study so I'm really new at it at this point.

I was wondering the same about Rory. Nobody I know growing up was listening to him although it sounds like we should've been. Definitely seems he was under radar. maybe more popular in UK than here? I dunno. Does some amazing things with guitar but kind of got lost in the shuffle what with how sizzling hot the 60's and 70's were for music. The aficionados seem to be familiar with his work.

You can never really figure what gets all the accolades and what gets all the record sales. Often not the same thing. Rory definitely seems more popular now than back in the day. Conversely today hardly nobody knows about acts that were popular at the time like Jethro Tull,

Reactions: Moreaupheus

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Steven Wilson is a freaking genius. Although the jury's still out on TFB...

So far I've only heard Personal Shopper and Imminent Sleaze on that one. I guess he took a left turn at the old school Pop stuff on that one. So far I think the 2 mentioned tunes are pretty killer. Guitar at the end of Imminent Sleaze gives me havy Jeff Beck Guitar Shop vibes for some reason. Did Guthrie play on that one?

@Drivesaitl , I think Gallagher might have been overshadowed by the likes of SRV, Hendrix, and possibly Moore. I really couldn't say as I wasn't into that scene.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
So far I've only heard Personal Shopper and Imminent Sleaze on that one. I guess he took a left turn at the old school Pop stuff on that one. So far I think the 2 mentioned tunes are pretty killer. Guitar at the end of Imminent Sleaze gives me havy Jeff Beck Guitar Shop vibes for some reason. Did Guthrie play on that one?

@Drivesaitl , I think Gallagher might have been overshadowed by the likes of SRV, Hendrix, and possibly Moore. I really couldn't say as I wasn't into that scene.

I've heard Personal Shopper and Eminent Sleaze, as well as King Ghost which was leaked a while back. I have no idea if Guthrie played on Eminent Sleaze. Overall I like it, but I miss SW's prog stuff. This is way out in left field from his usual style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad