OT: Music Sharing Thread 2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

As someone who likes both bands I'd point out that while one part of Stairway was borrowed that this can often happen on an unconscious level and we can often remember a song subconsciously, having been exposed to it. Little doubt that this would have been the case, but this is the history of music, art, and that some borrowing goes on. Theres also no doubt that Led Zep made the song, gave it many more segments and on the whole could be said that the song only sampled Taurus, (it isn't a tape loop, just saying they played a similar part of a song) something that has been industry standard since.

In fairness to Spirit, and Randy California, who was brilliant on his own RIP, this is his estate pursuing this. I doubt somebody that had played with Jimi James and the Blue Flames (Jimi Hendrix) was too concerned about borrowing. Randy himself loved to cover Dylan and others. Many spirit samples have also been used in other artist songs, and direct tape loops of recordings, and no actions on that. Spirit put out an interesting catalog that is still heavily borrowed from today. Good on them, they had interesting Rock-Jazz canon that gets showcased a lot albeit of a band only known by its fans.

I've posted this before. Heres Randy Californias rendition of a Jimi Hendrix cover. A song that has been covered by countless artists. This being what occurs in music, and in rock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dorian2

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

I'll never forget their debut album and this killer song.

My buddies and I at the U of A played this as our theme song every day. I've heard it a thousand times but it never grows old--always fresh.

Rest in peace Eddie.

Reactions: Up the Irons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad