OT: Music Sharing Thread 2

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Ha no problemm. Btw, considering we seem to like similar music, what's your favourite Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson song?

I'm a relatively new Porcupine Tree fan so my take on my favorite song probably isn't going to be taken from a larger selection compared to a band like Opeth (reason I got into PT) or Maiden who I've been listening to for years. Dark Matter and Trains stand out for me for whatever reason. I'm always open to suggestions though. :)

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'm a relatively new Porcupine Tree fan so my take on my favorite song probably isn't going to be taken from a larger selection compared to a band like Opeth (reason I got into PT) or Maiden who I've been listening to for years. Dark Matter and Trains stand out for me for whatever reason. I'm always open to suggestions though. :)

Well for being relatively new to them, you've definitely picked two good ones. Fear of a Blank Planet is probably my favourite PT album personally. I'm sure you've already seen this, but if you haven't you have to check out Anesthetize, live from Tilburg.

As you may know Rush are my favourite band, and imo this performance might be second only to Xanadu from ESL. Gavin Harrison is a god.

Reactions: Dorian2

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Thanks @ujju2 . Listening to it now. Pretty brilliant! Can definitely hear the Rush influence in Wilsons music on this one. And a shit tonne of Opeth sound which makes sense as Akerfeldt is a huge PT fan and friend of Wilsons. No need to mention the Floyd influence. This tune flies by fast. Holy f***.

Here's another band from Bergen I've recently caught onto lately....considered Prog Black/Folk/Melodic Metal....

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
BMTH's new song Kingslayer as I talked about earlier was just released 20 minutes ago.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Thanks @ujju2 . Listening to it now. Pretty brilliant! Can definitely hear the Rush influence in Wilsons music on this one. And a shit tonne of Opeth sound which makes sense as Akerfeldt is a huge PT fan and friend of Wilsons. No need to mention the Floyd influence. This tune flies by fast. Holy f***.

Here's another band from Bergen I've recently caught onto lately....considered Prog Black/Folk/Melodic Metal....

Huh, I'm liking these guys. I do wish the drums were higher in the mix on that first song though.

As for the Rush influence on PT, that's quite obvious on Anesthetize partly because Alex Lifeson played the first guitar solo on the studio version of that song. And yeah, the 17 minutes fly by really quickly. Very Rush-like in that regard imo. Also, I'm probably about as new to Opeth as you are to PT (I'm basically the opposite of you in that I found Opeth through PT) so I'd also appreciate suggestions!

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Huh, I'm liking these guys. I do wish the drums were higher in the mix on that first song though.

As for the Rush influence on PT, that's quite obvious on Anmesthetize partly because Alex Lifeson played the first guitar solo on the studio version of that song. And yeah, the 17 minutes fly by really quickly. Very Rush-like in that regard imo. Also, I'm probably about as new to Opeth as you are to PT (I'm basically the opposite of you in that I found Opeth through PT) so I'd also appreciate suggestions!

Listen to the entire Blackwater Park album from start to finish. That's the first one the Wilson produced for them. Also Deliverance and Damnation, which is basically a double album. He's mixed 3 other albums for them as well as doing Storm Corrosion with them.

You'll hear Wilsons vocals in this lighter one from Damnation.

This is off of Blackwater Park which is quite a bit heavier

Reactions: ujju2

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
New music from System, what a ride 2020 has been. I thought we’d never see new stuff from them after it’s been so long. Amazing to hear their sound hasn’t changed at all in 15 years.

BlueCheeseWithWings

Aug 1, 2018
New music from System, what a ride 2020 has been. I thought we’d never see new stuff from them after it’s been so long. Amazing to hear their sound hasn’t changed at all in 15 years.

The message is more important than anything. If I were able to travel there I would. What is happening there needs to be exposed.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Faouzia released a song with John Legend. This girl is going places.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Faouzia released a song with John Legend. This girl is going places.

Not my cup of tea, but I'd have to agree that this 20 year old is definitely going places. I'd argue that John Legend actually took something away from that tune in all honesty. What a rich voice she has.

Reactions: Zaddy

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta

Been listening to this song a lot lately. Hard to believe this was released when I was only 2 months old. o_O I looked up the meaning behind the lyrics the other day. Wow! I had no idea there was so much termoil in Ireland for so many years long after the Irish War of Independence. Very interesting!

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
thought I would mellow more as I aged, but I got back into BFMV again.....just can't get enough.
am listening to this album as much now as when it was first released

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not my cup of tea, but I'd have to agree that this 20 year old is definitely going places. I'd argue that John Legend actually took something away from that tune in all honesty. What a rich voice she has.

I don't really get John Legend at all, in any of his work. Must not be my thing. Agree that his contribution to that song seems just off and detracting from it. To the point you want him to shut up a bit..;)

But overall the song features the kind of oversinging and several syllable too many stylings that kind of annoys me. Like that Celine Dion kind of thing. But I could listen to a song like this 5 times and not remember a bit of it a day later. Its just weird. Nothing pulls me into it. Find that with so much R & B stuff today.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad