OT: Music Sharing Thread 2

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Thanks for that. I thought Hello did New York Groove originally but nope. Ballard's the man!

Ballard wrote it, perhaps Hello performed and recorded the song prior to Frehley.

R.B was in Argent for a bunch of underrated albums. Unfortunate Argent is known for Hold yer Head up which is an albatross cause I think they have some great albums that I collected on vinyl, and they’re only known by that one (kinda lame) tune.

I discovered them (Argent) through a kiss cover, that kiss ‘updated’ with some lyric changes, different key...and the kiss version is definitely one of my fave tunes of all time:

Reactions: Dorian2

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Funny thing about Kiss is that they also did a few covers live which you'd never expect. I freaked out when I saw them do one of my favorite all time tunes for Animalize at the Kinsmen.

First song I remember hearing on the radio when we came back from Germany.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Funny thing about Kiss is that they also did a few covers live which you'd never expect. I freaked out when I saw them do one of my favorite all time tunes for Animalize at the Kinsmen.

I like the 80s spandex Kiss period.

I like the 80s kiss spandex jazzercise Kulik period.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Really enjoy how much Rock is making a strong comeback. Any other fans out there of these guys?

Considering the first tune....will be digging in deeper on this band! Getting Doors, Zepplin, and a Sabbath brooding feel to it for the way my ears are tuned. Thanks for the heads up. Guitarists LP sounds killer!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Considering the first tune....will be digging in deeper on this band! Getting Doors, Zepplin, and a Sabbath brooding feel to it for the way my ears are tuned. Thanks for the heads up. Guitarists LP sounds killer!

Glad you liked it. Sounds like a really good live band to see. I like everything Drummer, base player/vocalist, Guitarist. On some of their stuff, yep, Doors, but yep, very Early Sabbath, all kinds of influences in them Witches. heh.

They're versatile though and have an eclectic catalog by now. Really are a get into a groove band like "The Verve" who I also really like, for instance this early track.

Album version, same song, more wonderful groove

Anybody I know that likes older rock is loving All them Witches.

KEXP is also just amazing for their recordings. I mean just perfect recordings. The best live recordings out there. They're doing a lot for return of rock as well. They got that perfect mix which is suited for it, which helps the artists sound their best and get more esposure and listens.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
AC/DC's latest single

I don't want to harsh on a band I've seen live and listened to off and on for decades. But the thing that's bugged me about AC/DC for years is that they'd never moved along with any progression in style. To me, and I'm not a "fanboy" to be sure, their ultimate break out from the original killer sound they had with Bon Scott to the new sound with Johnson and Back in Black was an amazing step in a new progressive sounding direction. But they never seemed to move along from that basic sound. This isn't meant to be a criticism of an iconic hard rock band or to neglect the merit of the members of the band who I have great musical respect for. Just wish they could have managed to move their sound forward better. This is something I personally struggle with as an original musician and song writer as well....you wouldn't want to hear me criticize myself. It can get ugly at times. ;)

Reactions: ujju2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't want to harsh on a band I've seen live and listened to off and on for decades. But the thing that's bugged me about AC/DC for years is that they'd never moved along with any progression in style. To me, and I'm not a "fanboy" to be sure, their ultimate break out from the original killer sound they had with Bon Scott to the new sound with Johnson and Back in Black was an amazing step in a new progressive sounding direction. But they never seemed to move along from that basic sound. This isn't meant to be a criticism of an iconic hard rock band or to neglect the merit of the members of the band who I have great musical respect for. Just wish they could have managed to move their sound forward better. This is something I personally struggle with as an original musician and song writer as well....you wouldn't want to hear me criticize myself. It can get ugly at times. ;)
If I can add to this while I like AC/DC I preferred the Bon Scott iteration. Not that AC/DC didn't go on to have quite a catalog after, just liked the Bon Scott sound more. I think a shift there occurred somehow that transformed the band. While they became bigger, and a Stadium act under Johnson it also became formula.

I have a mixed relationship with AC/DC and some frustration as well because in some way I think they took rock to a dead end of sorts. I think AC/DC. ironically was one of the reasons rock couldn't find its way after. In short AC/DC sound is jackhammers, bombast, and thunder thrown in. In terms of a sound where can you go from there? Its like they represent turn it to 11 from spinal tap. The problem with AC/DC sound is they became the easily digestible sound that non rock fans would figure was rock.

So many people that liked other forms of music would listen to AC/DC but never Led Zep, Black Sabbath, Rush, Pink Floyd etc. Got to the point in the 80's/80's where if you went to a club there would be all kinds of sucky music played and the only rock was the 1 token AC/DC song and maybe one token KISS song. I think even for those that like rock music as a form bands like AC/DC and KISS were bombast forms that became addictive tastes and music that delivered constant soundbite rather than subtlety. People lost their taste for progressive, nuance, or even the range that rock could be. AC/DC being a wall of sound that couldn't be bettered and artists and consumers for years didn't try.

I mean I'm not blaming AC/DC at all. Just that rock music died out for quite awhile in the collective conscience. Thankfully it seems to be coming back.

Reactions: Dorian2 and ujju2

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

No argument about AC/DC not really changing anything up in their song writing and playing over most of their catalog, but I will push back on a couple fronts.

Yes most radio/single releases sound a lot a like, but on album to album basis, I beg to differ on that sentiment. Each album has its own vibe or aura/theme about it that makes each one kinda unique, even in the Brian Johnson years and each album has its own gem that most people dont hear because they just listen to whats on the radio, rather than giving an albums a front to back listen. Ballbreaker as an album has a different tone and feel from Razor's Edge. Razor's Edge has a different vibe from most of their 80's albums. Stiff Upper Lip has a much more jazzy feel/vibe to it than almost anything else they did.

And on them not changing much or "progressing", while yes its fun to go on a journey with a lot of bands as they grow over the years (especially metal bands), its also nice to have a band that you know what you will get, and its going to kick ass. Some bands will progress, and some take you on a fantastic journey over the years, others.........not so much.

@Drivesaitl Its not AC/DC's fault rock got stagnant. They were a revolution for their time because they stayed true to their form and brought a brand of hard rock that nobody else did. Its why they've been able to endure over the decades while so many fads have come on gone over the time. They didn't sell out to what the "popular" crowd was into by hitching onto anything they never really identified with before. I think thats why they've managed to gain and maintain the following they've gain over the almost 50years they've been around. AC/DC knows who they are, what they're good at, and full on embrace it regardless of what record labels might think, or what the fad of the day is or what their nay sayers say. And to wrap things up, IMO thats what makes them so easy to relate with and for someone like me to be such a big fan. They're a no nonsense blue-collar hard rock band that goes balls out making fun riffs that are fun to listen to, fun to learn to play, and fun to just flat out rock out too. If modern day bands don't know or dont figure out how to tap into that themselves.......that's not AC/DC's fault.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
No argument about AC/DC not really changing anything up in their song writing and playing over most of their catalog, but I will push back on a couple fronts.

Yes most radio/single releases sound a lot a like, but on album to album basis, I beg to differ on that sentiment. Each album has its own vibe or aura/theme about it that makes each one kinda unique, even in the Brian Johnson years and each album has its own gem that most people dont hear because they just listen to whats on the radio, rather than giving an albums a front to back listen. Ballbreaker as an album has a different tone and feel from Razor's Edge. Razor's Edge has a different vibe from most of their 80's albums. Stiff Upper Lip has a much more jazzy feel/vibe to it than almost anything else they did.

And on them not changing much or "progressing", while yes its fun to go on a journey with a lot of bands as they grow over the years (especially metal bands), its also nice to have a band that you know what you will get, and its going to kick ass. Some bands will progress, and some take you on a fantastic journey over the years, others.........not so much.

@Drivesaitl Its not AC/DC's fault rock got stagnant. They were a revolution for their time because they stayed true to their form and brought a brand of hard rock that nobody else did. Its why they've been able to endure over the decades while so many fads have come on gone over the time. They didn't sell out to what the "popular" crowd was into by hitching onto anything they never really identified with before. I think thats why they've managed to gain and maintain the following they've gain over the almost 50years they've been around. AC/DC knows who they are, what they're good at, and full on embrace it regardless of what record labels might think, or what the fad of the day is or what their nay sayers say. And to wrap things up, IMO thats what makes them so easy to relate with and for someone like me to be such a big fan. They're a no nonsense blue-collar hard rock band that goes balls out making fun riffs that are fun to listen to, fun to learn to play, and fun to just flat out rock out too. If modern day bands don't know or dont figure out how to tap into that themselves.......that's not AC/DC's fault.

You've pretty much put everything I didn't mention into a really well thought out response. I particularly agree with the whole album concept of AC/DC. For me, the last full album I listened to and one of my favorites is For Those About to Rock. I won't touch on the "what we hear on the radio" bit because that's an item that drives me up the wall. It's why I turn off AC/DC, the Scorpions, Zepplin, Deep Purple, and even Maiden at times when I'm listening to that shlock while driving. I'm a fan of all the bands, but the overplay kills my senses.

Reactions: yukoner88

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

hey, just for clarity I mentioned it wasn't AC/DC's fault, just that they took rock to a certain direction, and it ended up being a pretty much dead end road. They had great success, but people starting thinking rock sounds like AC/DC period, and have a harder time then getting into more nuanced or progressive forms of rock. AC/DC is kind of an easy listen. It appeals immediately and always. It doesn't take 5-10 listens, its automatic gratification. So it starts reforming the whole rock segment. (which speaks to how enormously successful AC/DC is)

But its a shame that for decades other rock bands were pretty tuned out and because rock started to be typecast of pretty simple bombast. I have misgivings with KISS as well. I mean for all they did well, they transformed the scene and made it harder for younger listeners to gravitate to much else. Some acts just pander too much to grab audience, showboat, and at some point becomes more about sales and merchandise than music.

For instance in this thread months ago people were talking about Frank Marino. An artist that for decades barely got a listen and was outplayed by the artists with big labels, big accounts, big sounds. But Frank Marino, as an artist, or guitarist is on top of his game, worth a listen. Thats the trouble when some acts hit so high, is that everybody else isn't even seen. A lot of great music got buried due to rock becoming monoculture and radioplay determining everything.

Reactions: ujju2

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
You've pretty much put everything I didn't mention into a really well thought out response. I particularly agree with the whole album concept of AC/DC. For me, the last full album I listened to and one of my favorites is For Those About to Rock. I won't touch on the "what we hear on the radio" bit because that's an item that drives me up the wall. It's why I turn off AC/DC, the Scorpions, Zepplin, Deep Purple, and even Maiden at times when I'm listening to that shlock while driving. I'm a fan of all the bands, but the overplay kills my senses.

I share your sentiment with radio play. All these bands with big catalogs, and the radio stations play the same 3 or 4 songs over and over again. Rush is another big victim of this. 40years of incredible music, but radio stations only seem to play Subdivisions, Flight by Night, or Closer to the Heart and which ever one they chose, play it 10 times that day.

Reactions: ujju2 and Dorian2

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
hey, just for clarity I mentioned it wasn't AC/DC's fault, just that they took rock to a certain direction, and it ended up being a pretty much dead end road. They had great success, but people starting thinking rock sounds like AC/DC period, and have a harder time then getting into more nuanced or progressive forms of rock. AC/DC is kind of an easy listen. It appeals immediately and always. It doesn't take 5-10 listens, its automatic gratification. So it starts reforming the whole rock segment. (which speaks to how enormously successful AC/DC is)

But its a shame that for decades other rock bands were pretty tuned out and because rock started to be typecast of pretty simple bombast. I have misgivings with KISS as well. I mean for all they did well, they transformed the scene and made it harder for younger listeners to gravitate to much else. Some acts just pander too much to grab audience, showboat, and at some point becomes more about sales and merchandise than music.

For instance in this thread months ago people were talking about Frank Marino. An artist that for decades barely got a listen and was outplayed by the artists with big labels, big accounts, big sounds. But Frank Marino, as an artist, or guitarist is on top of his game, worth a listen. Thats the trouble when some acts hit so high, is that everybody else isn't even seen. A lot of great music got buried due to rock becoming monoculture and radioplay determining everything.

I re-read your post not long after I responded n caught that on the 2nd read, but I already had my post up. I think a lot of what you're getting at was what kinda happened with heavy metal becoming hair metal and heavily corporatized by the big record labels later in the 80's and AC/DC by default kinda got lumped into the mess the entire genre had become. Society seemed to had kind of grew tired of the fad hashing n rehashing itself and became desparate for something different, which it found in grunge. Then electronics n remixing became a big thing and Napster came along and put a different kind of pressure and dynamic on the music industry, which unfortunately rock/metal probably suffered the greatest from.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Have to agree with the comments regarding AC/DC. I’m glad they were/are able to keep it going, however I haven’t listened to anything much since Razors Edge.

saw them twice live, always a great show.

Yes radio sucks.
Do I need to hear ‘Sweet home Alabama’ again?
or ‘American woman’ performed by Lenny Kravitz?
Nope.
Deep cuts for this clown.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I share your sentiment with radio play. All these bands with big catalogs, and the radio stations play the same 3 or 4 songs over and over again. Rush is another big victim of this. 40years of incredible music, but radio stations only seem to play Subdivisions, Flight by Night, or Closer to the Heart and which ever one they chose, play it 10 times that day.

You left out Tom Sawyer, and occasionally Limelight, Freewill, The Spirit of Radio, or Red Barchetta, but yeah. I wish the radio played more Rush :)

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
^^ Scary how close he comes to some Michael J tones vocally! Great track!

I was reminded of this in the intro guitar riff.

Last edited:
Reactions: yukoner88

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Speaking of Finns. Classic Folk Metal. But newer. Anyone have pointers to others?

Last edited:

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I watched this vid tonite,
Some jazz fusion featuring Larry Coryell from 1975
Band is quite the tight unit with some excellent drumming & crazy effects on the trumpet:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad