OT: Music Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I don't get to play one very often, but it's not really much different than an acoustic 6 string. It requires more finger pressure and accuracy, and strumming can be trickier, but not a real challenge. Now a mandolin on the other hand/...

Wow! can't even fathom trying to play a regular guitar with a mandolin on the other hand:badidea:

Reactions: overlords

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Wow! can't even fathom trying to play a regular guitar with a mandolin on the other hand:badidea:
Exponents7.gif

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
On a recent little road trip this song came on when a friend was test-driving my rather recent acquisition. And he, a wanna be test flight pilot, had to see what an automatic could do and was flying already at 170 when the tune came on and we all got pissed at him and he gunned it even more! Sure on the autobahn no big deal, but these type roads:eek::rant::pullhair:

Attachments

• road.jpg
    road.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Bahama Mama

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
On a recent little road trip this song came on when a friend was test-driving my rather recent acquisition. And he, a wanna be test flight pilot, had to see what an automatic could do and was flying already at 170 when the tune came on and we all got pissed at him and he gunned it even more! Sure on the autobahn no big deal, but these type roads:eek::rant::pullhair:

170 kph or mph? I'd love to try the autobahn. Probably the last time I'd drive. :laugh:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Depending on the target, Al Stewarts Year of the cat worked well as did Floyds Wish you were here:thumbu:
Me it was always Beatles songs; from a 14 year old frenchie on a beach in South-Carolina, struggling through Hey Jude to the eyes of admiring southern gals, to a 40 year old doing Beatles hour, actually more like 2 or 3, with a bunch of friends on a beach on Vancouver island, to the eyes of hungry MILFS. Worked both times. :naughty: :nod:

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
170 kph or mph? I'd love to try the autobahn. Probably the last time I'd drive. :laugh:

Kph! but that when he gunned it! Don't think that even my cousins Italian jobbie back in the day could do 170MPH, and we do boot it a few times. But that was on an excellent hi-way, not these roads!
Lots of good highways in Europe, made the right way, conducive to driving at high speed.:thumbu:

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Me it was always Beatles songs; from a 14 year old frenchie on a beach in South-Carolina, struggling through Hey Jude to the eyes of admiring southern gals, to a 40 year old doing Beatles hour, actually more like 2 or 3, with a bunch of friends on a beach on Vancouver island, to the eyes of hungry MILFS. Worked both times. :naughty: :nod:

Sounds like that was ages ago! How'd you find their accent back then? had no clue at first what they were saying, got better over the years though.:confused:

Twice eh? c'mon on man! yank chicks are notorious for being easier to crack than a peanut shell. They are bold, direct and shameless:nod:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I used to play drums with my band on that song. Liked Purple but moved on to a more prog-like sound, like Genesis, Yes, PFM. I don’t enjoy Purple as much anymore, probably on account of overexposure to their repertoire.

Speaking of Genesis, I was considering going to the BC show in November until I saw clips of a paunchy Collins walking on stage with a cane, sitting on a piano bench, leaning back against his son and giving this real lame talk between songs.

I already contributed to someone else’s retirement when I saw Deep Purple featuring Ian Paice’s bloated waistline and lackadaisical playing.

Not every band knows when to quit or can bring it in their older years. Rush could. They also went out at the top of their game. So can Steve Hackett.

If you long to hear Genesis, Hackett is the ticket. He and his band did a great job last time they were in Montreal.

Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Crown Lands new song is absolute fire... nice nod to Rush. So nice to see new rock & roll of this quality!

Lead singer has great vocal range just like Geddy Lee had. I liked several of their other cuts too, that I had posted in the prior version of this thread. Crown Lands looks very promising.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I used to play drums with my band on that song. Liked Purple but moved on to a more prog-like sound, like Genesis, Yes, PFM. I don’t enjoy Purple as much anymore, probably on account of overexposure to their repertoire.

Speaking of Genesis, I was considering going to the BC show in November until I saw clips of a paunchy Collins walking on stage with a cane, sitting on a piano bench, leaning back against his son and giving this real lame talk between songs.

I already contributed to someone else’s retirement when I saw Deep Purple featuring Ian Paice’s bloated waistline and lackadaisical playing.

Not every band knows when to quit or can bring it in their older years. Rush could. They also went out at the top of their game. So can Steve Hackett.

If you long to hear Genesis, Hackett is the ticket. He and his band did a great job last time they were in Montreal.

Purple had some good songs, but way overplayed some of them, loved smoke on the water when it came out in the '70's! but if I hear it today I'll go mad!

That sounds pretty sad frankly, not too appealing to sit through a drama fest.

Can't remember that last time seeing Paice, been forever, kind of sad that he was not professional about it though.

Have seen Genesis a few times,without Gabriel but also Gabriel solo and GTR which I think had Hacket then ,not positive though.

Didn't Rush pack it in due to death? were they not still performing to crowds? Haven't kept up with them since "roll the bones''?

A lot of bands have kept at it, be it in less than arena type show as in their heyday, but if it's still fun,why not?
I even saw April wine a few years back and it was pretty good, small venue and no glitz, but alright.

My boys, Golden Earring may not have been popular outside Europe, but they never faltered and always put on great shows and still would be if not for the semi recent news announcing that a founding member has a terminal illness.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Didn't Rush pack it in due to death? were they not still performing to crowds? Haven't kept up with them since "roll the bones''?

They played at their best before they called it quits. I was at one of their shows not long before they retired and I was blown away by their stamina -- they played three hours without taking a break. Rush just decided that they had done enough and wanted to spend time with their families.

Neil Peart passed after the band had retired.

There is a documentary they regularly play on HBO that follows them on their last concert. Lots of goodies in there, including fans who attended over 100 shows over the years and fellow name artists who marveled at their work ethic and the discipline they had as individuals. Best story was from Gene Simmons when Rush and Kiss were touring together and Rush was opening for Kiss. Simmons and his bandmates were party animals after shows, staying up late, doing rock star things. Simmons recounts the time when he went looking for Rush members in their hotel rooms and could not believe that they had all gone to bed early.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
They played at their best before they called it quits. I was at one of their shows not long before they retired and I was blown away by their stamina -- they played three hours without taking a break. Rush just decided that they had done enough and wanted to spend time with their families.

Neil Peart passed after the band had retired.

There is a documentary they regularly play on HBO that follows them on their last concert. Lots of goodies in there, including fans who attended over 100 shows over the years and fellow name artists who marveled at their work ethic and the discipline they had as individuals. Best story was from Gene Simmons when Rush and Kiss were touring together and Rush was opening for Kiss. Simmons and his bandmates were party animals after shows, staying up late, doing rock star things. Simmons recounts the time when he went looking for Rush members in their hotel rooms and could not believe that they had all gone to bed early.

Conditioned? living in a dull boring town must have rubbed off:laugh:

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad