OT: Music Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Nice, a duo is not seen often. Will have to find more from them.

That song was a bit different that those I heard before. They reminded me of Wolfmother in their earlier singles.

There are a few good duos out there (most play drum + bass though):

Royal Blood
Death from Above (1979) (also Canadian)
the Matchstick Skeletons (also Canadian)

.. they all play on chom.fm regularly too :snide:

Reactions: Runner77 and Le CH

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
So he was hired as a studio musician? not part of it going forward? He's got talent, so why not make tictok or whatever and make a few bucks.

He plays in different bands and he also has his own Jazz Trio. It's hard to believe. I remember the day when he asked if he could play on my Martin acoustic guitar. Before that it was computer games all the time, I bought all 3 major consoles. Then at 12 going on 13 he completely stopped and started playing. I bought him a little Yamaha electric guitar and an amp with headphones so he could play without disturbing anyone when playing scales. He improved a lot and soon it was time to get the boy a US made Fender Telecaster and a better amp, also Fender. Soon he started playing with a band as the lead guitarist. They won a competition ($2,000 and to record a single). The better ge got the more he started getting into Jazz and the standup bass, he traveled on buses etc with this giant instrument and he also played electric bass. He went to Uni and now he can play effortless reading the notes. I love it when he plays Led Zeppelin.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
He plays in different bands and he also has his own Jazz Trio. It's hard to believe. I remember the day when he asked if he could play on my Martin acoustic guitar. Before that it was computer games all the time, I bought all 3 major consoles. Then at 12 going on 13 he completely stopped and started playing. I bought him a little Yamaha electric guitar and an amp with headphones so he could play without disturbing anyone when playing scales. He improved a lot and soon it was time to get the boy a US made Fender Telecaster and a better amp, also Fender. Soon he started playing with a band as the lead guitarist. They won a competition ($2,000 and to record a single). The better ge got the more he started getting into Jazz and the standup bass, he traveled on buses etc with this giant instrument and he also played electric bass. He went to Uni and now he can play effortless reading the notes. I love it when he plays Led Zeppelin.

Well you know kids ,one day this and suddenly a 180. He prefers jazz music over anything or just prefers playing it? Is playing upright bass more difficult? don't see many in rock bands much, my man does in acoustic shows for some tunes. Not knocking the upright bass,but no fun to lug around, I'll stick with my harmonica:thumbu:

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Well you know kids ,one day this and suddenly a 180. He prefers jazz music over anything or just prefers playing it? Is playing upright bass more difficult? don't see many in rock bands much, my man does in acoustic shows for some tunes. Not knocking the upright bass,but no fun to lug around, I'll stick with my harmonica:thumbu:

It is pretty hard, I can barely push those thick strings to the frets. His fingers can probably kill a cig by using the fingers without even feel anything. He likes to play anything, even some heavy metal stuff.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It is pretty hard, I can barely push those thick strings to the frets. His fingers can probably kill a cig by using the fingers without even feel anything. He likes to play anything, even some heavy metal stuff.

Maybe with time and practice?:dunno: Watched my man and he made it look pretty easy,but he has large hands and his is fret-less.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Just better than The Beatles.

Not having enough battles with your spouse lately?:huh: I am, so no need for me to get in another subjective heated debate, I'll just step out silently :nod:

Sure I like the Beatles, not my fav though, more boy band but some catchy and good tunes.

Last edited:

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
His is fretless (maybe they all are)as well, I just could couldn't remember that it is called fingerboard.

No not all of them are,I looked into it a bit and they mention that ones with frets are mostly for musicians that will not be taken seriously.They say that fret less are better and more difficult but can sound better and make adjustment while playing,makes sense to me but what do I know.:dunce::facepalm:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The only violin family instrument with frets is the Viol da Gamba. I tried upright bass a few times, was dating a girl in Victoria who played one in a band. Not easy finding the right note, but she nailed them. Small girl too, well medium.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Oh hey, the music thread is on page 1.

thumb_but-mom-lm-scared-of-clowns-20-scary-clown-memes-52173315.png

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The only violin family instrument with frets is the Viol da Gamba. I tried upright bass a few times, was dating a girl in Victoria who played one in a band. Not easy finding the right note, but she nailed them. Small girl too, well medium.

Nailed it eh?:thumbu: reminds me of the Jon Pinette joke about medium sized tubes at best. How'd those calluses go with the organ:naughty:

What's your take on 12 string acoustic guitars,if there is one?:dunno:
FWIW, some uprights bass have frets.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Thanks, but was wondering more along the lines of being accomplished on it.
I don't get to play one very often, but it's not really much different than an acoustic 6 string. It requires more finger pressure and accuracy, and strumming can be trickier, but not a real challenge. Now a mandolin on the other hand/...

Reactions: angusyoung
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad