OT: Music III

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I had two bands. One of them for commercial gigs, top 40 stuff we played at social events. The other had rotating musicians, we did heavy rock and some experimental stuff. We had more fun doing it than anything. I miss playing.

Is it no longer possible to play,if and when things improve?

Top 40 stuff? that can cover a wide range,but I get it for social events,can't got metal or too heavy at those type of events. You play clubs with the heavy group?possible I have seen you guys somewhere.

Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
From what I read, she partook into a lot of Eddie's excesses. How was do you figure she was a crazy MF -- next to Eddie, she couldn't have been as bad, lol.

Saw a clip where Eddie plays with his hero, Holdsworth. I think he was trying to help him at that point, as Holdsworth was living tough times.

I was surprised to see Eddie play with Jan Hammer, who is a great soloist in his own right. It was a jam type thing but it showcased both musicians well (an no, there was no Bill Bruford as the clip title claims otherwise there would have been a killing on drums too):

I never heard about her partying,but from a childhood friend that is related to the boys,some thing would slip once in a while,short fuse,kind of bossy.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Never saw a double bass guitar before. It's really rare. I like the sounds he gets from his 4-string -- I'll have to look him up, he doesn't play his 5-string in that clip but as you remark, he has an assortment of pedals and effects that transform his bass into something more.

How'd you get acquainted with his playing?

I had never heard that cut. Good song, with some prime soloing by the keyboard player.

Also amazing to me was the sound considering that a lot of stuff from the 70s isn't captured with this high level of audio quality.

The YouTube blurb provided some interesting context:

Headlining a bill that also featured the Outlaws, this Winterland recording captures Lynyrd Skynyrd following the release of their fourth album, Gimme Back My Bullets. This was during a transitional phase for the band, following the departure of guitarist Ed King, but prior to his replacement, Steve Gaines, coming on board.

The band was carrying on as a six-piece unit, augmented by the Honkettes on backing vocals. This is an interesting time to hear the band live, as their trademark three-guitar attack was reduced by one guitar, leaving more room for keyboardist Billy Powell. On the ballads, like "Tuesdays Gone" and the pre-jam verses of "Freebird," Powell displays great creativity and expands the keyboard's role in these songs.

Thanks for sharing.

Thought you might've been gone forever so good to see you back. Yup the audio and video quality is great for how old that footage is. I hadn't read that info but that's pretty interesting.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The song or the punishment? you saying we need more......

Not the song and in my best Forrest Gump voice, that's all I got to say about that. :)

Anyway after watching The Commitments yet again this past weekend here's a couple of tunes from it. Great movie with some great tunes.

And you George Michael.. :laugh:

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

ImpressionableDarkBlacklab-small.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Is it no longer possible to play,if and when things improve?

Top 40 stuff? that can cover a wide range,but I get it for social events,can't got metal or too heavy at those type of events. You play clubs with the heavy group?possible I have seen you guys somewhere.

We didn't make it. Some of us (like me), wanted it more than others in the band. I put in a lot of time practicing, taking courses, reading music, upgrading my gear. However, that didn't matter that we didn't get very far as I enjoyed every minute of it. The camaraderie from playing in a band is really special, as is working together to learn new music as well as experimenting and putting a personal spin on things.

It's been many years now that I've sold off my drum kits and stopped playing. I'm just nostalgic about it but not enough to do something about it. Not yet, at least.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
We didn't make it. Some of us (like me), wanted it more than others in the band. I put in a lot of time practicing, taking courses, reading music, upgrading my gear. However, that didn't matter that we didn't get very far as I enjoyed every minute of it. The camaraderie from playing in a band is really special, as is working together to learn new music as well as experimenting and putting a personal spin on things.

It's been many years now that I've sold off my drum kits and stopped playing. I'm just nostalgic about it but not enough to do something about it. Not yet, at least.

Not an easy thing to do either,different times. I know/knew a fair amount that tried as well to make it but few ever got to the level.Some were very talented and played covers great,but original material was not up to par. Now you probably could though, not saying anything against you guys or talent,but jeez,listen to some of the stuff out there,don't even need to be able to sing or play an instrument.

Thought you played guitar,my bad. Guess you have some favorite drummers,ever see Buddy Rich?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thought you played guitar,my bad. Guess you have some favorite drummers,ever see Buddy Rich?

Saw Buddy Rich once at PdA. He was like a machine. I saw him a few more times when he guested on Carson’s show. He was a great showman.

Reactions: angusyoung

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The Eagles, live at the Hollywood Forum. with Vince Gill and Glenn Frey's son. Amazing harmonies and flawless musicianship.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Did you ever hear the story about how this song was pieced together?

If not, you won't believe how Vietnamese astrology played a role.

He tells it all in a prequel to the song, right here:

My 2 favorite Al Stewart songs (because I used to play them), his songs are easy to sing since he has not the greatest of voices.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Did you ever hear the story about how this song was pieced together?

If not, you won't believe how Vietnamese astrology played a role.

He tells it all in a prequel to the song, right here:

Always interesting when learning about the history of things,thanks! On top of that he seems like a nice guy just the way he presents himself.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
My 2 favorite Al Stewart songs (because I used to play them), his songs are easy to sing since he has not the greatest of voices.

The only other song that came to mind was Time passages as not too familiar with his music,although it's is nice and easy to listen to.

I heard just the ending of Year of the cat when I got in the car and it brought me back in time, was living in my " The graduate" movie type moment and she was always playing it.:(

Reactions: Per Sjoblom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad