OT: Music II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Every Breath You Take has passed You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' to become the most played song of all time. Pretty damn impressive considering it was released 20 years later.

Back in 1999 RMI released its songs of the century list and at the time it sat at 15th. No other song from the 1980s was on the list with most songs being from the 60s.

In 1997 Yesterday by the Beatles was the reigning number one until the Righteous Brothers overtook them. They held number one for something like 25 years. That is a long freaking time.

Speaking of Yesterday, pretty good movie. It's a little sappy on the romance side but otherwise I really enjoyed it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Hmmm... I've heard a few times that Louie Louie is the most recorded song in history. Did a quick lookup (it is Wikipedia so take with a grain of salt but) 'By some accounts "Louie Louie" is the world's most recorded rock song with over 1,600 versions and counting (with more appearing regularly on YouTube and elsewhere).'

They reference an article that appears to no longer be available but it doesn't surprise me to read this.

Louie Louie - Wikipedia

In any event, it's been recorded a crap ton of times.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Heart was always been good,vocals are paramount in some cases. decades since last seen. Never saw Crow though. Crow is an awful word in some context,and this is one.

Have to play this one though from Heart, so special.

I've also listened to that Heart stairway cover many times. So very well done.

Speaking of Sheryl Crow.. She has been one of my favorite female singers and I noticed today she teamed up with Joe Walsh and released a new tune not long ago. Sounds pretty good I thought coming from a crow and an eagle. :)

Sheryl still looks mighty cute in them jeans as well.

Reactions: peate

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

Speaking of Sheryl Crow.. She has been one of my favorite female singers and I noticed today she teamed up with Joe Walsh and released a new tune not long ago. Sounds pretty good I thought coming from a crow and an eagle. :)

James Gang revival.

Reactions: sheed36

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Also, watching the Yesterday movie... just amazing how many great songs the Beatles had. It's at the point where I just kind of take it for granted how good they were. What an awesome collection of songs.

Reactions: angusyoung

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Here’s a great, underrated cover:

@JackieChan , thanks for posting this! I'm only vaguely familiar with Sonic Youth and didn't know this song. I started playing the video and recognized the images of Karen Carpenter. So I paused the video as I wanted to hear the source material before the cover.

I learned that although the Carpenters' version is the definitive, they also covered it. That's cool. So I listened to the Carpenters' version first. As with many Carpenters songs, I was awed by the purity and power in the voice, while recognizing that the musical arrangement is dated. I think any vocalist is setting themselves up for failure when covering something sung by Karen Carpenter. Of course it's possible that the arrangement can be better, but not the voice. Such is the case with the Sonic Youth version, in my opinion. Very cool and interesting musical arrangement, but it suffers from a lack of Karen Carpenter.

I just listened to the Sonic Youth version a second time and it has already grown on me. As I recall, in the Carpenters version there is still a strand of hope that the Superstar will return. Not so in the Sonic Youth version. The singer seems to know that it's over, while still pining for the return.

I'm going to listen to both versions again and report back.

I'm baaack! And I'm beginning to develop my own interpretation of these very different covers. In the Carpenters' version, Karen's voice is pure and simple and wonderful, and she seems to be singing from the perspective of a groupie that had an encounter with a Superstar. Like an actor, she has become the groupie, has imaged their back story and hopes to meet again. The Superstar remains unknown.

The Sonic Youth version of this song seems more authentic to me now. It's clear to me that the Superstar in this version is Karen Carpenter. Thus the slower, more melancholy, more painful delivery. The relationship with the Superstar is imagined, it's only through listening to her music that there even is a relationship, and Thurston knows that the Superstar will never return. This gives him the authenticity to deliver the performance we saw in that video.

This is why I love cover songs. Same words, different interpretations. A song can be complex and multidimensional, just like us humans.

Thanks once again for posting this video JackieChan.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Johnny Cash - Hurt (Official Video) HD

One of my favorite covers.....Cash doing Nine Inch Nails "Hurt"
I love this one too. Like many in my generation and later generations, I didn't know much or care much about Johnny Cash until Rick Rubin started producing Cash albums in the years before his death. Then we were treated to a great number of fantastic covers, including Hurt, Solitary Man, One, Mercy Seat, and many others. I have already done an injustice by mentioning a handful of these while many more remain unsaid. Listen to Cash, that's my advice!

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
These Scott's get me going more.

I lived in London UK for two years in the early 90s. I used to drink at a place called Backpackers in the Kings Cross area, also The Church on Sunday afternoons. Mostly Australian expats, but also expats of many other places. This song was on heavy rotation at both places, it still reminds me of those days. One Sunday afternoon/evening after the pubs closed in London, I headed back to the train station with my friend to head home. But we were both still thirsty and the pubs were closed. Thinking outside the box, we boarded an overnight train to Edinburgh, because the bar car was open until the last patron left. Woke up in Edinburgh on a Monday morning in December wearing shorts and called in sick to work. What does one do in Edinburgh on a Monday morning in December? Rose Street pub crawl. Good times.

Reactions: angusyoung

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Another iconic cover.

Nirvana covering Huddie William Ledbetter's (Lead Belly) version of "Where did you sleep last night"

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Heart pulled that off with perfection. It seemed to piss off Plant in a way. Obama and his wife rocked it away after few bowls. lol

Curious what the union sounds like,can post it? Eagles are legends that changed their sound a lot over the years,kudos.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I've listened to this at least 2 times every day since you posted it. So good.

These guys are better live than studio,always put on a great show. They always get the crowd going even today . This particular show is super from beginning to end. Sound is impeccable and a very unique solo.

Not may people know its about Jason Bourne.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I was never a fan of Tull but if there is one track I have listened to repeatedly, it's Minstrel in the Gallery.

And it's not even because of the whole thing -- the only part that always fascinated me is the transition from acoustic to electric instruments that takes place from 2:15 and completes at 4:38. It's a delicious smorgasbord of neatly bundled riffs and crisp drumming. For those who have never heard the track, I would suggest you experience it within the time markers above. The rest of the song never held up the promise and marvel of the transition part for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia