OT: Music II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="Newen Afrobeat feat. Seun Kuti & Cheick Tidiane Seck - Opposite People (Fela Kuti) - YouTube" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you are a musically inclined person and have not been exposed to Fela Kuti here is a link with his son Seun and former collaborator/keyboardist Cheick Tidiane Seck playing Fela's "Opposite People" with collaboration from Newen Afrobeat.

Some of the most politically charged intricate compositions ever to be played were from the mind and soul of Fela.

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Marley is right there with Fela as an influence, unlike Fela he tried to avoid the political scene but it was thrust upon him and the rest is history.

Shout out to Aston "Family Man" Barrett as one of the greatest bass players ever and the driving force behind the groove of the Wailers.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
I was born in '66 and my musical taste is rock: folk rock, pop rock, alternative rock, grunge, punk rock, new wave rock, classic rock, new rock, Britpop, and probably a hundred other sub-genres. Mostly spanning early 60s to present.

Occasionally I am blown away by an older song that I never heard before, and I wonder how I could have missed it then.

Like five years ago when I first heard Mazzy Star:

Or last week when I first heard Fairport Convention:

Sometimes I get the origin wrong. This Bowie song was a regular on my mixed tapes 35 years ago, and is still on my Spotify list today: . Then around 2001 I heard it sung by Nina Simone and the world stopped for a moment while I listened and processed that it was not a Bowie song as I had thought for nearly two decades.

I think that was the catalyst for my appreciation of cover songs. Bowie owned that song to the extent that I thought it was actually his. Mind you I may have been biased as Hunky Dory was and remains one of my top ten albums. When I realized it wasn't a Bowie song, I wondered if there might be other awesome covers. And man are there ever.

Shinedown singing Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynard: Shinedown Simple Man
Disturbed singing Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel: Disturbed - The Sound Of Silence [Official Music Video]
Jeff Buckley singing Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen: Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (Official Video)
Ataris singing Boys of Summer by Don Henley: The Ataris - The Boys of Summer (Official Video)
Chris Cornell singing Thank You by Zeppelin: Chris Cornell - Thank you

Thank you for reading and listening to some of my recommended songs.

PM me if you are musically like-minded and would like to hear my Spotify playlist.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I always had a soft spot for Canadian rock bands. The Hip was playing small bars when I first saw them (Before Road Apples).

Junkhouse was another favorite...

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I was born in '66 and my musical taste is rock: folk rock, pop rock, alternative rock, grunge, punk rock, new wave rock, classic rock, new rock, Britpop, and probably a hundred other sub-genres. Mostly spanning early 60s to present.

Occasionally I am blown away by an older song that I never heard before, and I wonder how I could have missed it then.

Like five years ago when I first heard Mazzy Star:

Or last week when I first heard Fairport Convention:

Sometimes I get the origin wrong. This Bowie song was a regular on my mixed tapes 35 years ago, and is still on my Spotify list today: . Then around 2001 I heard it sung by Nina Simone and the world stopped for a moment while I listened and processed that it was not a Bowie song as I had thought for nearly two decades.

I think that was the catalyst for my appreciation of cover songs. Bowie owned that song to the extent that I thought it was actually his. Mind you I may have been biased as Hunky Dory was and remains one of my top ten albums. When I realized it wasn't a Bowie song, I wondered if there might be other awesome covers. And man are there ever.

Disturbed singing Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel: Disturbed - The Sound Of Silence [Official Music Video]
Jeff Buckley singing Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen: Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (Official Video)
Ataris singing Boys of Summer by Don Henley: The Ataris - The Boys of Summer (Official Video)

PM me if you are musically like-minded and would like to hear my Spotify playlist.

Johnny Cash - Hurt (Official Video) HD

One of my favorite covers.....Cash doing Nine Inch Nails "Hurt"

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Has anyone gone or is going to the Legacy of the Beast Maiden show? To me they are like wine... the older they get the better their live shows get. Seen them a bunch of times and definitely going in August.

Barriwhite

Don’t be shocked by the tone of my voice
Nov 8, 2005
Montreal

Occasionally I am blown away by an older song that I never heard before, and I wonder how I could have missed it then

Here’s a great, underrated cover:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

Kygo is simply a master at making summer vibes. Funny because he studied in Finance in Edinburgh just like I did and created those songs because he missed the sun that is so rare in Scotland.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Kygo is simply a master at making summer vibes. Funny because he studied in Finance in Edinburgh just like I did and created those songs because he missed the sun that is so rare in Scotland.

Makes me want to get e and go clubbing .lol.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
These Scott's get me going more.

We once listened to this goddamn song 7 hours straight when driving to our summer cottage lol. It gets stuck in your head so badly haha. Here's another Scottish Scott who, tragically, killed himself last year but his music was beyond gorgeous.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Has anyone gone or is going to the Legacy of the Beast Maiden show? To me they are like wine... the older they get the better their live shows get. Seen them a bunch of times and definitely going in August.

I am out of town for all the shows close to me unfortunately. I agree they are one of the best live acts ever- and it just keeps getting better. That is one hell of a set list too for this tour.

Reactions: The Real Timo

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
We once listened to this goddamn song 7 hours straight when driving to our summer cottage lol. It gets stuck in your head so badly haha. Here's another Scottish Scott who, tragically, killed himself last year but his music was beyond gorgeous.

Reminds me a bit of the current band Mumford and sons.

My fav Scott though is still Bon,and the Young brothers. Where else can you incorporate the Pipes!

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Smooth, always a great album,up there with some of the best, Moontan. If chilin is your game. 1 of Tootalls fav for sure.

Last edited:

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Absolutely incredible that they were not more popular outside Canada in this modern day and age. Many of my non-Canadian friends know the history and marvel at this event.

Reactions: FormerLurker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad