OT: Music II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is the weekend I’m going to go see Steve Hackett perform all of Selling England by the pound.

I don’t know what to expect. I’m going into this some 20 years too late I suspect. Hoping it’ll be entertaining.

Or maybe, I should have just gone to see a Genesis cover band instead. Never saw Genesis live.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
This is the weekend I’m going to go see Steve Hackett perform all of Selling England by the pound.

I don’t know what to expect. I’m going into this some 20 years too late I suspect. Hoping it’ll be entertaining.

Or maybe, I should have just gone to see a Genesis cover band instead. Never saw Genesis live.
I had the privilege of seeing them in their 1st North American concert in Sherbrooke.

Reactions: QuebecPride

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I had the privilege of seeing them in their 1st North American concert in Sherbrooke.

Lucky you, at least you saw them in their prime. Must have been a great show.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Lucky you, at least you saw them in their prime. Must have been a great show.
They were relatively unknown at the time, I was with a music critic who was covering their concert at the University. I was so amazed I saw them two nights later at UdeM.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So happy I saw Steve Hackett at PdA.

He got several standing Os, especially right after playing several Genesis classics.

Hackett is 69 but you can't really tell, he looks great. He's got that rock'n roll hair going.

Biggest ovations were for Cinema Show and Dance on a Volcano. And of course, when fans clamored for an encore.

The show was split in two. First part featured Hackett songs from his solo acts, lasted roughly one hour.

Second part involved playing the whole of Selling England by the Pound and some individual Genesis hit songs.

His playing was quality. He also sang lead on some songs and back up on others.

I found the band sounded much better and sharper on the Genesis material, maybe cause they were warmed up.

They featured a singer who had a really thin voice and who got mostly drowned out, which is not a good thing as Genesis lyrics are a valued part of the experience. He was this tall guy with golden locks of hair but who looked androgenous -- he even put on a costume for some songs so as to emulate Peter Gabriel from his Genesis days.

And like all shows from th 70s where Hackett hailed, there was a drum solo. The drummer had quite an elaborate set up, called for by the songs they were playing. Hackett surrounded himself with very versatile musicians. Rather than have a second guitarist, he had his bassist play a double neck guitar -- a bass and twelve string electric combined, something I've never seen before. All the double necks I have ever seen were a 6-string combined with a 12-string. He also had a flutist who played sax, some keyboard and a variety of other instruments.

All in all, a great musical experience. I had never seen Genesis but thanks to Hackett, he recreated the Genesis experience after so many years of wondering what it would be like to see it live. I can now close the book. Hackett to his credit is quite likeable and charismatic and maintained constant contact with the audience, offering a lot of light humor that the crowd appreciated.

Topped off the evening at Schwartz's. Nice way to bookend the whole deal.

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
That's a surprise to hear actually. Have seen Priest at least 6,7 times and was always good. Halfords voice was always impressive,time ?
I saw them probably around 2007 and they were amongst the most disappointing of the hard rock bands I grew up watching, I recall his voice wasn’t bad but he and the band were barely going through the motions, he was walking around like a cyborg. VH (both with Sammy and DLR) tied with The Who for most disappointing I’ve ever seen tho

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Was just reading the sad news that Ginger Baker was critically ill in hospital. Sending prayers your way Ginger.

Here's a couple of Cream tunes from their 2005 reunion concert. All 3 of these guys are such great musicians.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Was just reading the sad news that Ginger Baker was critically ill in hospital. Sending prayers your way Ginger.

Here's a couple of Cream tunes from their 2005 reunion concert. All 3 of these guys are such great musicians.

Thanks for sharing that.

An eerie thought I heard on the radio today -- I think it was from Melnick. Said something about how the next decade is going to claim most of the classic rockers. They're all getting on. It's a tribute to their spirit and their incredible force of character that they were able to transcend generations. These guys just won't quit.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Thanks for sharing that.

An eerie thought I heard on the radio today -- I think it was from Melnick. Said something about how the next decade is going to claim most of the classic rockers. They're all getting on. It's a tribute to their spirit and their incredible force of character that they were able to transcend generations. These guys just won't quit.

It's sad and likely very true. It always brings a smile to my face when I see live videos of all these classic rockers performing the past few years and you see so many young people in the audience.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's sad and likely very true. It always brings a smile to my face when I see live videos of all these classic rockers performing the past few years and you see so many young people in the audience.

What amazes me the most is their stamina and how good they look on stage. Not to mention how they don't seem to have lost a step musically.

I saw Rush on their last legs and had totally missed out on seeing them live during all those years that I enjoyed their albums. And here they were, on the brink of retirement, doing 3 hour shows without taking a break.

They don't make ‘em like that anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: sheed36

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I kinda like this song on CHOM. And the clip too. Especially for that half-a** jump at 0:16

giphy.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I kinda like this song on CHOM. And the clip too. Especially for that half-a** jump at 0:16

giphy.gif

Doesn’t take too much in the way of props, choreography and scenic backgrounds to produce a clip nowadays. The half-assed jump was cool. :laugh:

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Doesn’t take too much in the way of props, choreography and scenic backgrounds to produce a clip nowadays. The half-assed jump was cool. :laugh:

I'm only watching it for the jump :laugh:, then I stopped watching and only listens to it. I wish they would have put some Fifth Element stuff on but I guess there would be some copyright issues. It's only a small local band after all.

Now, I'm into some Dwarven Metal. Those guys make me laugh so bad :laugh:

(it's actually a cover)
(I've had that chorus stuck in my head for the last 3 weeks)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm only watching it for the jump :laugh:, then I stopped watching and only listens to it. I wish they would have put some Fifth Element stuff on but I guess there would be some copyright issues. It's only a small local band after all.

Now, I'm into some Dwarven Metal. Those guys make me laugh so bad :laugh:

(it's actually a cover)
(I've had that chorus stuck in my head for the last 3 weeks)

Sounds like an Irish drinking song or something. Imagine the type of deodorant they needed while wearing those carpets.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
BTW, did Hackett play Horizon and Firth of Fith? These were very challenging pieces he wrote himself when in Genesis and I know he used to play them in his concerts, but now that he is 69....

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Thanks for sharing that.

Probably claim many of the movie stars that many of us grew up with too, difficult to not start having mid-life crisis when you realize you’ve outlived Elvis and Lennon

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I saw them probably around 2007 and they were amongst the most disappointing of the hard rock bands I grew up watching, I recall his voice wasn’t bad but he and the band were barely going through the motions, he was walking around like a cyborg. VH (both with Sammy and DLR) tied with The Who for most disappointing I’ve ever seen tho

So what was impressive? Many bands go through the motions and are dull.Anticipation and exceptions of a show are easily disappointing. I liked when I saw the Who and Priest many times. VH was a gimmick it felt,as many bands,as you say,going through the motions.

The Cars was the worst I can recall,good god! had like 4 lights!
Purple when they toured for Perfect Strangers was awesome as was Sabbath with Ian Gillan.
A few surprising that were better than anticipated was the Doobies,Saga,Journey,Garry Numan,Joe Jackson. AC DC is always fun,even though contrived in latter years.
Was fortunate to see them with Bon way back before having a clue who they were. With zero knowledge of what I would see,blown away!Hence......

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
So what was impressive? Many bands go through the motions and are dull.Anticipation and exceptions of a show are easily disappointing. I liked when I saw the Who and Priest many times. VH was a gimmick it felt,as many bands,as you say,going through the motions.

The Cars was the worst I can recall,good god! had like 4 lights!
Purple when they toured for Perfect Strangers was awesome as was Sabbath with Ian Gillan.
A few surprising that were better than anticipated was the Doobies,Saga,Journey,Garry Numan,Joe Jackson. AC DC is always fun,even though contrived in latter years.
Was fortunate to see them with Bon way back before having a clue who they were. With zero knowledge of what I would see,blown away!Hence......
Wow Bon, that would’ve been amazing! Read somewhere he wrote Whole Lotta Rosie about some hefty Tassie gal that was his secret shame :laugh:

Not to blow smoke but AC/DC have mostly put on a great show, last one I saw just after Malcom left and just before Brian left wasn’t their best but Angus still gave it everything, they still probably have 3 of my top 10 shows. Metallica late 90s (they made a DVD called Cunning Stunts from that tour), Audioslave - big Chris Cornell fan, Foo Fighters are a lot of fun live, Maiden - when Bruce lets them play old school stuff, Pearl Jam, GnR, Collective Soul - they were one of my favorite bands in the 90s, Crue were fun even if Vince didn’t have the lung capacity to finish a lyric, Volbeat - maybe the best new band for me since 2000.

Dare I say Garth Brooks, early Bon Jovi and Zac Brown are also in my top shows, just good entertainers. First concert I saw was Helix open up for Triumph so that one sticks out as memorable.

But hands down most surprisingly impressive show I’ve ever seen was Linkin Park. Was at a full day hard rock festival with probably close to 100 bands across 8 stages and they came on just before Metallica and blew everyone else away, never really thought much of them before that and actually didn’t think they belonged in the lineup and almost left to go to another stage to watch Rob Zombie but the crowd was too thick and then the late Chester Bennington came out and sang his ass off for 2 hrs, Metallica actually looked like wuss rock following them.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Wow Bon, that would’ve been amazing! Read somewhere he wrote Whole Lotta Rosie about some hefty Tassie gal that was his secret shame :laugh:

Not to blow smoke but AC/DC have mostly put on a great show, last one I saw just after Malcom left and just before Brian left wasn’t their best but Angus still gave it everything, they still probably have 3 of my top 10 shows. Metallica late 90s (they made a DVD called Cunning Stunts from that tour), Audioslave - big Chris Cornell fan, Foo Fighters are a lot of fun live, Maiden - when Bruce lets them play old school stuff, Pearl Jam, GnR, Collective Soul - they were one of my favorite bands in the 90s, Crue were fun even if Vince didn’t have the lung capacity to finish a lyric, Volbeat - maybe the best new band for me since 2000.

Dare I say Garth Brooks, early Bon Jovi and Zac Brown are also in my top shows, just good entertainers. First concert I saw was Helix open up for Triumph so that one sticks out as memorable.

But hands down most surprisingly impressive show I’ve ever seen was Linkin Park. Was at a full day hard rock festival with probably close to 100 bands across 8 stages and they came on just before Metallica and blew everyone else away, never really thought much of them before that and actually didn’t think they belonged in the lineup and almost left to go to another stage to watch Rob Zombie but the crowd was too thick and then the late Chester Bennington came out and sang his ass off for 2 hrs, Metallica actually looked like wuss rock following them.

Metallica was fresh and most intense way back than now. Never saw LP,wanted to big time,but never worked out, that was a big loss.
What's good is good,regardless whom, and bad, is bad,Culture Club....terrible! Andre Rieu, phenomenal.

Angus was always the draw,but Bon had presence also.....

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Metallica was fresh and most intense way back than now. Never saw LP,wanted to big time,but never worked out, that was a big loss.
What's good is good,regardless whom, and bad, is bad,Culture Club....terrible! Andre Rieu, phenomenal.

Angus was always the draw,but Bon had presence also.....
It’s not quite the same but LPs Road to Revolution live DVD gives a glimpse of what they were like. My 2 biggest regrets were Tom Petty - I had just landed after 10 hrs of flying and my buddy called to say he had an extra ticket but I was a mess and passed on it thinking I’d catch him next time. The other was the Eagles, same friend was calling me with an extra ticket - to a private box of all things - and I had my phone on silent and was too late when I got back to him. I’ve learnt my lesson now and just see everyone I can cause there’s not always a next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad