OT: Music II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Here's another I've discovered recently. We all know the classics, thought it would be interesting to bring out some lesser known stuff also.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Really love this one. It played in this season's opening episode of The Affair.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Going in a different direction. Wondering what your favorite acoustic songs are?

If you're a musician or a dabbler -- what would be songs you'd have on your set list if you were performing with one or two acoustic guitars and a lead singer?

Some good ones off of this clip:

What's in your repertoire? Thanks in advance.

I was listening to #2 Never Going Back Again from that list just this morning from Lindsey Buckingham. Love watching and listening to LB play that guitar of his.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nice technique by Buckingham. Did not enjoy his vocal performance, though.

Last edited:

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
So what's everyone's opinion on the new Tool album? Can't say I'm disappointed because I was afraid they wouldn't have enough ideas to cover the ambitious track lengths to begin with and while that kinda came true, I love the fact that it's not just a 10k 2.0 though, but more of a lovechild of that and Lateralus. Descending is a jam and a half.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
So what's everyone's opinion on the new Tool album? Can't say I'm disappointed because I was afraid they wouldn't have enough ideas to cover the ambitious track lengths to begin with and while that kinda came true, I love the fact that it's not just a 10k 2.0 though, but more of a lovechild of that and Lateralus. Descending is a jam and a half.
I've only listened to what I believe was their opening track. I know their songs are pretty long and "experimental" or progressive. I haven't got much into Tool except that I know a song like Sober, but I think the wait was long, but in some way justified. Also, Maynard, the singer, had a few projects on his own, especially A Perfect Circle.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Going in a different direction. Wondering what your favorite acoustic songs are?

If you're a musician or a dabbler -- what would be songs you'd have on your set list if you were performing with one or two acoustic guitars and a lead singer?

How about 1 solo guitar.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My favorite Paco performance is Mediterranean Sundance:

I first heard off of the Friday Night in San Francisco album:

Song was written by Al Di Meola. Here is Al Di Meola recounting the history behind the song:

When I first heard the cut, I was taken aback -- had never heard anything quite like it. I had seen Paco at Place des Arts a couple of times and enjoyed his playing but I never saw him perform Mediterranean Sundance.

Anyone else have a similar experience with this song?

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Had to add this again. 3 acoustic guitars with drums. Throw in a little jazz and trance for fun. The lead guitarist ,Sorse was highly regarded and still active today and Jimmy Hendrix wanted to recruit the bassist.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Pretty sure no one cares but just scored a ticket to the Iron Maiden show... dead center, 4 rows from the floor. For less than $100 (screw all the resellers). Maiden!! MAIDEN!!!

(off I go)

Reactions: ArtPeur

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Pretty sure no one cares but just scored a ticket to the Iron Maiden show... dead center, 4 rows from the floor. For less than $100 (screw all the resellers). Maiden!! MAIDEN!!!

(off I go)
Responding to yourself is a sign of... (fill in the blank)

Outstanding show! Man... I wish to have 1/2 the energy when I am 60. What a legendary band. So glad I checked the webz for tickets just before the show. Shout out to the dude behind me wearing an Eddy mask.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Responding to yourself is a sign of... (fill in the blank)

Outstanding show! Man... I wish to have 1/2 the energy when I am 60. What a legendary band. So glad I checked the webz for tickets just before the show. Shout out to the dude behind me wearing an Eddy mask.

It's a sign that you're treading on @PaulD territory -- it's one of his trademarks. :sarcasm:

Glad you enjoyed the show. I've noticed how a lot of these old time musicians give incredible shows, so much stamina. I remember seeing Rush just before they retired and they played 3 hours straight. Amazing. What a great example to those musicians who are looking to follow in their footsteps.

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's a sign that you're treading on @PaulD territory -- it's one of his trademarks. :sarcasm:

Glad you enjoyed the show. I've noticed how a lot of these old time musicians give incredible shows, so much stamina. I remember seeing Rush just before they retired and they played 3 hours straight. Amazing. What a great example to those musicians who are looking to follow in their footsteps.
Burton Cummings put on a fantastic show at the CNE Bandstand a couple of weeks ago.

John Fogerty still delivers as well. Plan to see him again as he is now on tour.

Reactions: angusyoung

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

That little white powder does wonders. :sarcasm:

Reactions: angusyoung

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ah the passage of time.

Watching the 2018 Rock'n Roll HOF on HBO and seeing The Cars get inducted.

The Cars had several hits and were the epitome of cool for the longest time.

Of course, the speeches are the probably the most enjoyable part of it. You get to discover a lot of tidbits that you never knew. Seeing the family members in the audience, finding out their influences. Lots of funny moments. The band's performances at these types of shows are usually subpar, but everything leading up to them is something to savor.

Following The Cars came the induction of Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Had never heard of her but man could she play guitar. They showed clips of her and she was definitely ahead of her time. In 1938, she signed with Decca Records and released a then controversial song, called Rock Me. It was an instant hit and Billboard Magazine used a new phrase to describe her hit: "rock-and-roll spiritual singing." Who knew this is where the term was born. Tharpe continued to tour until 1973 in failing health, passed at the age of 58. What a trailblazer.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
I've always liked this song. I wish someone had made an English version, the lyrics are compelling.

Don’t go there bro :help:

My suggestion was strictly about exposing it to a different audience since the song is so great.

Meh. I cant agree with that I think. Music is music to me, no matter the language. Rammstein is a band that is known worldwide and they sing in german.

To each his own I guess.

Love the song, it has stood the test of time. Lyrics are beautiful.

You didn't bite to my 'don't go there' reply :(

2zzjpt5.jpg

#SonIAmDisappoint

Careful what you wish for :help:

:scared:

Last edited:

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
A good neck breaker. 1 of their unknown greats,classic Angus. Glad my friends took me to see them back in the day,with Bon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad