OT: Music II

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It’s not quite the same but LPs Road to Revolution live DVD gives a glimpse of what they were like. My 2 biggest regrets were Tom Petty - I had just landed after 10 hrs of flying and my buddy called to say he had an extra ticket but I was a mess and passed on it thinking I’d catch him next time. The other was the Eagles, same friend was calling me with an extra ticket - to a private box of all things - and I had my phone on silent and was too late when I got back to him. I’ve learnt my lesson now and just see everyone I can cause there’s not always a next time.

My bad,omitted those guys, Bob Seger was also impressive,can't remember them all sadly.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
My bad,omitted those guys, Bob Seger was also impressive,can't remember them all sadly.
I've got a few unfortunately can't remember much of either, partied all day before Kiss when they reunited with the makeup and maybe indulged in some 'medicinal' samples just before they hit the stage

Recall the classic intro "you want the best, you got the best, the hottest band in the world", then the first few riffs of Detroit Rock City and next thing I remember I'm eating a Whopper 3 hours later and nada in between

Saw them 15 years later and wasn't overly impressed but apparently they were good that first show :laugh:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I know this thread is full of boomers, so skip this if youre one, I dont wanna hear your "back in my days" rant.

With this said, WTF is happening with Young Posty ? Hes starting to sound a lot like freaking Justin Bieber. Like I liked his Beer bongs and bentley album and the others too, but now thats too much.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I know this thread is full of boomers, so skip this if youre one, I dont wanna hear your "back in my days" rant.

With this said, WTF is happening with Young Posty ? Hes starting to sound a lot like freaking Justin Bieber. Like I liked his Beer bongs and bentley album and the others too, but now thats too much.

His style was bound to become redondant. BBB was great, but it was flirting so much with soul less pop that he was gonna fall into the trap at some point.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
His style was bound to become redondant. BBB was great, but it was flirting so much with soul less pop that he was gonna fall into the trap at some point.
Its sad. He has a lot of talent, no matter what people might think. I liked every album he put out but this one... man, its tough to listen. Plays like Taylor Swift.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Its sad. He has a lot of talent, no matter what people might think. I liked every album he put out but this one... man, its tough to listen. Plays like Taylor Swift.

I've been listening mainly to hip hop for ten years, but a couple of months ago I had rap fatigue and started listening to rock again, because of a video clip I shot for a band; I seem to be unable to listen to rap albums anymore, loved Dave's Psychodrama though.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal

Beer bongs and Bentley’s was a fun album start to finish. I can keep going back to it no problem. Hollywood’s Bleeding has a lot of forgettable tracks. Hell Allergic with a few tweaks could sound like a Beach Boys style summer jam :laugh:

Hell I thought the song with Swae Lee and the song with SZA were one track the first time I listened to it lol

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Beer bongs and Bentley’s was a fun album start to finish. I can keep going back to it no problem. Hollywood’s Bleeding has a lot of forgettable tracks. Hell Allergic with a few tweaks could sound like a Beach Boys style summer jam :laugh:

Hell I thought the song with Swae Lee and the song with SZA were one track the first time I listened to it lol
Yeah, same.

Its as if he saw the success and just went over board.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Had always enjoyed Steve Miller from my CHOM days but never knew much about him.

So he appears on The Tonight Show yesterday and I finally took the time to look him up further to this interview, which also reveals the origin of "Pompatus of love" and how the great Les Paul was his godfather.

So many great classic rock songs from The Steve Miller Band.

Also talked about how he wrote Rock'n Me in one afternoon, just before flying out to London for an open air concert. From another interview:

Steve Miller says he wrote the classic track “Rock’n Me” with the aim of kicking Pink Floyd “in the butt” at the 1975 Knebworth festival near London, England.

He didn't want to accept the booking to open for Pink Floyd
, but when he was finally offered a figure he couldn’t refuse, Miller started thinking about how the day would go. Then he put plans in motion that worked out perfectly, as he told Uncle Joe Benson on the Ultimate Classic Rock Nights radio show.

“I kept trying to turn down the gig,” Miller remembered. “I said, ‘I don’t have a band. I don’t wanna do this. This is a bad time for me. I’m in the midst of recording …’ They just kept saying, ‘Well, how about some more? How about if we paid you this much? If that wouldn’t be enough would this be enough?’ Finally I decided, ‘Well, this would be enough! Yeah, I can take a little break to do this!’”
He called musicians he’d most recently been working with, including Les Dudek, Lonnie Turner and Doug Clifford, and asked them: “How would you guys like to have an all-expenses-paid vacation to London to go do a Knebworth festival with Pink Floyd?” Miller continued. “They came over to the house, where we rehearsed for one afternoon. We got on a plane, flew to London and played to 120,000 people.

The Song Steve Miller Wrote To Kick Pink Floyd ‘In the Butt' | The Song Steve Miller Wrote To Kick Pink Floyd ‘In the Butt'

Last edited:

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Lol ever since you guys talked about Steve Hackett I'm now listening to my old Genesis CDs nonstop in the car and my GF is mad lol

My 7 y.o. likes the musical parts though (firth of fifth, los endos etc).

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Eddie Van Halen isn't feeling so good these days

tenor.gif

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Anyone else here a fan of Jimmy Eat World? I bought tickets to go see them in Burlington next month. They've been one of my favourite bands since high school.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Anyone else here a fan of Jimmy Eat World? I bought tickets to go see them in Burlington next month. They've been one of my favourite bands since high school.

That's pretty cool. They aren't exactly one of my favourite bands but Clarity is an album that has a real sweet spot in my heart. Always jam it around Christmas time.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I've got a few unfortunately can't remember much of either, partied all day before Kiss when they reunited with the makeup and maybe indulged in some 'medicinal' samples just before they hit the stage

Recall the classic intro "you want the best, you got the best, the hottest band in the world", then the first few riffs of Detroit Rock City and next thing I remember I'm eating a Whopper 3 hours later and nada in between

Saw them 15 years later and wasn't overly impressed but apparently they were good that first show :laugh:

LOL. I went to the Oktoberfest in Munich when I was about 25, we took a little break between beers and went and watched a soccer game between Bayern Munich and Dortmund, it ended 5-2 and the result is all that I remember. :)

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Lol ever since you guys talked about Steve Hackett I'm now listening to my old Genesis CDs nonstop in the car and my GF is mad lol

My 7 y.o. likes the musical parts though (firth of fifth, los endos etc).

Selling England by the Pound is my favorite and especially Dancing with the Moonlit Knight where Hackett plays some nice guitar. I remember being so proud when I learned the little guitar lick in the beginning when Gabriel sings "Old man says you are what you wear, wear well"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->