OT: Music II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Ah the passage of time.

Watching the 2018 Rock'n Roll HOF on HBO and seeing The Cars get inducted.

The Cars had several hits and were the epitome of cool for the longest time.

Of course, the speeches are the probably the most enjoyable part of it. You get to discover a lot of tidbits that you never knew. Seeing the family members in the audience, finding out their influences. Lots of funny moments. The band's performances at these types of shows are usually subpar, but everything leading up to them is something to savor.

Following The Cars came the induction of Sister Rosetta Tharpe. Had never heard of her but man could she play guitar. They showed clips of her and she was definitely ahead of her time. In 1938, she signed with Decca Records and released a then controversial song, called Rock Me. It was an instant hit and Billboard Magazine used a new phrase to describe her hit: "rock-and-roll spiritual singing." Who knew this is where the term was born. Tharpe continued to tour until 1973 in failing health, passed at the age of 58. What a trailblazer.
The Cars have one of the best debut albums ever and should've been inducted long ago. Super cool band.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Finally bit the bullet and upgraded to these from my current 660's. Wonder if my current amp can handle the new range. :laugh:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
You didn't bite to my 'don't go there' reply :(

2zzjpt5.jpg

#SonIAmDisappoint

Careful what you wish for :help:

:scared:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Bloumeister

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Finally bit the bullet and upgraded to these from my current 660's. Wonder if my current amp can handle the new range. :laugh:
That's a pretty big bullet to bite. The brand is unbeatable, I still remember my HD 414's, but are your ears able to discern the difference from a pair that costs half as much, or even a 10th as much?

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Practically giving them away. Don't understand how they can cost as much as they do. The Sennhieser's that I've had over the years are more than good.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
That's a pretty big bullet to bite. The brand is unbeatable, I still remember my HD 414's, but are your ears able to discern the difference from a pair that costs half as much, or even a 10th as much?
So many good cans now for reasonable prices. I replaced my HD650s, which aren't too expensive but still good, with Fidelio X2s. Just prefered them way more and got em for 200$. Still my favorite headphone of all time. Not so great for production but just a fun and comfy set.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tributes to Ric Ocasek continue to pour in.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ocasek was the epitome of cool.

I must have played this cut a thousand times when it came out. I loved it then, I love it now.

Brilliant songwriting. Impactful in its simplicity.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
How could I forget -- huge 1984 hit, Drive. So much depth and texture.

Reactions: sheed36

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Only a year ago, The Cars get inducted in the RnR HOF. Here's their full induction ceremony:

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
The Cars Frontman Ric Ocasek Dead at 75
"Ric was at home recuperating very well after surgery. Our two sons, Jonathan and Oliver, and I were making sure he was comfortable, ordering food and watching TV together.
"I found him still asleep when bringing him his Sunday morning coffee. I touched his cheek to rouse him. It was then I realized that during the night he had peacefully passed on."

Reactions: Chili

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Stumbled on this today. I'm a big fan of Swedish Rock/metal bands such as Soilwork/In Flames and had already heard this song, but I just love the melody. I'm not the biggest sucker for screaming, but decently dosed with a good melody and you'll have yourself a fan. The hardest songs by Soilwork and In flames are just not my cup of tea, but the more popular/pop ones I can handle just fine. I need to venture further and discover more songs from Sonic Syndicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad