Pre-Game Talk: Music City here we come. Feb. 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
This is true. There's nothing wrong with the two transactions. I didn't say the transactions weren't good. I said I don't think this 4th line will be a good one. It will probably be better than the other 4th lines we've had, but I'm not projecting them to be adequate. I could be wrong of course. I've been wrong in questioning Bergevin/Julien moves before, but I've also been right.

Ultimately, because it's done 15 days before the deadline, there is still a little time to upgrade if need be. I'd rather a 4th line still have speed and skill, in addition to being defensively responsible. A little toughness is good, but still secondary to speed, and even secondary to skill. One fourth line I liked from the time we knocked top seeded Boston out of the playoffs was Bournival-Briere-Weise (younger Weise and Weise suited for the old NHL). I hope we're getting the same Weise. But I just don't know how his game would translate.

My ideal 4th line would be Marcus Johansson-Derrick Brassar-Weise/Shaw/Lehkonen/Byron. To me that's like a 2nd third line and adds good depth in case of injury. But those two MAY be too expensive. We'll see what they end up going for. I have a feeling they're under-valued in the market.

Those players you listed would require decent assets in return and I don't think Bergevin is willing to play that game.

Our 3 top lines are able to generate a good amount of offense so far this year.

The problem was the 4th line, they were generating nothing and getting scored on constantly.

The moves made were more to stop the bleeding than to actually help the offense.

But Weise can still skate and he has a decent shot , Thompson has some skill in him as he was playing on the PP in LA this year... And if Byron is on the left wing of that line I wouldn't be surprised if they actually generate offense and not just neutralizing the opposition.

Reactions: donghabs98

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Whether or not the 4th line lasts, it comes with an anomaly. The players in it are wearing nos. 22, 21 and 20.

nSdhpJZ.jpg

So, what will it be?

The Black Jack line

The roaring twenties

Cakes?

The Countdown Line?

Dollarama Dumpsters?

The Closers?

Last edited:

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
My ideal 4th line would be Marcus Johansson-Derrick Brassar-Weise/Shaw/Lehkonen/Byron. To me that's like a 2nd third line and adds good depth in case of injury. But those two MAY be too expensive. We'll see what they end up going for. I have a feeling they're under-valued in the market.[/QUOTE]

Would be more than fine for a 4th line,but it's not free! the asking for those players are a hell of a lot more than a 5th or a throw in.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
WTF? Deslauriers instead of Armia???? This can't be true....Deslauriers is bad defensively!
Yeah, that sounds weird. Armia is the only forward who can slow down the opponent's game while shorthanded, and his PK stats are by far the best on the team. Danault&Lehkonen are leaking badly.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Whether or not the 4th line lasts, it comes with an anomaly. The players in it are wearing nos. 22, 21 and 20.

nSdhpJZ.jpg

So, what will it be?

Cakes?

The Countdown Line?

Dollarama Dumpsters?

The Closers?

:)

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I will never understand those who are complaining about the last two moves BargainBin made. Literally gave up nothing, so if they don't pan out we are no worse than we were yesterday. :huh:
Not gonna be a huge impact either way. We can see where MB is going after players noted for comraderie.
DW was well liked when he was here and Thompson had that same reputation in LA. I do get the harping however because most know these deals won't amount to a hill of beans and some fans want more than that.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Montreal can match Nashville 71pts with a win and maintain 3 games in hand.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
The 4th line in Boston was great in 2011. This isn't 2011.

So whats changed so significantly?

Caps rolled beagle, stephenson and DSP last year. Thats the 4th line that won the cup.

I could go back every year and show you that 4th lines are usually built around a bit of speed, grind, posession and the ability to chip in the odd goal. We might have that now, we didn’t a week ago

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
No kidding. And yet another Sat Sunday this weekend. Do the Leafs ever play B2B? Doesn't seem like it.

I'm sure they have. They just played one - Saturday against us then crapped the bed Sunday against the Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad