News Article: Murray willing to trade Methot, Phillips and Neil

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Couldn't you sign Meth to a one-year extension with mucho $$$ just to keep him around and give us more time to evaluate things (i.e. his health) and hopefully work toward a longer term deal? Win-win.

Your idea mitigates the risk to the Senators, but leaves Methot assuming all the risk in terms of a career ending injury next season.

What I wonder is whether or not the Senators last offer is still on the table for Methot, or does Murray now want to reduce the term.

IMO the ball is in Methot's court, he signs in Ottawa for $5-$5.5M for two years or he signs for less on a longer term deal. Methot and his agent shouldn't expect the Senators to assume all the risk without some incentive.

Of course Methot can decide to go the UFA route, but he takes significant risk that other GMs won't want to offer him a long term deal due to the injury.

Given Murray has said he wants to keep Methot, and Methot has said he wants to stay, it would seem a deal should be able to be worked out that accommodates both parties.

Synthetek

Aug 4, 2009
Behind You
OHhhh i remember this part.

He's working through a chapter in the book he owns called Mind Games or something :laugh:

I wish I had the picture.

dinner_for_schmucks_shmuks_movie_poster_steve_carell_paul_rudd_film_Zach_Galifinakis_pics_stills_images2.png

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Phillips isn't going anywhere

I could see Neil going to a contender though

Phillips is spent however, I doubt anyone will be willing to give up anything of value for him

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If a slow as mud and barely competent Hal Gill can get a 3rd pick at the deadline, Chris Phillips can find a home with a contender.

He's still a solid veteran presence.

What type of ntc does Phillips have. Missing Capgeek.com already. :(

Phillips might be more willing to go to a contender if he was a ufa this summer. But since he has another year left on his contract, he might be unwilling to accept a trade being that he has made a home out of Ottawa and probably does not want to either live away from his family for a year or move his family away from Ottawa.

I would be surprised if Phillips is traded.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
My preference is for Phillips to retire as a Sen. If he becomes fed up and OKs a trade then I will definitely not hold it against him, as he has earned the right to pick how he finishes his career.

The man is an absolute beast come playoff time. If he is moved, some people here may be surprised at the return we get for him. I suspect it would be a 2nd round pick, although it may be a 2016 pick because no one wants to part with picks in this draft.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Phillips is still a better dman than those two were at the time they got their last contracts.

That's the appeal.

That's not the point though

Murray got signed by Montreal, the most unfrightening team in the NHL outside of their ref support

Hall Gill was traded for by Nashville because no one on that team had any playoff experience (or close to none) and was a giant which probably matters more in the Western Conference

I agree that Phillips is probably better than both, but that's not the point. Phillips has experience but doesn't have much outside of it, I doubt Hall Gill returns a third if he isn't a giant, I'd be he doesn't even get signed by Montreal

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Somewhere along the way many forget what Phillips actually is.

He was a No1 overall pick (for his scoring ability). At the NHL level he was considered slow and a perimeter player. Even when we had little depth onm the back end, he was asked to play as a 4th line forward - there was just no place for him. Plus he had some pretty tough injuries to work through.

He developed into a very good complimentary partner when he was paired with the right player. He learned to set the table for Chara, with Volchenkov and even to an extent Redden. He was able to anticipate and read really well when with these players. We have had defensive issues ever since Muckler chose Redden over Chara.

Now they are gone and he was expected to take their place and set the tone and lead - something he has never done at that level.

Phillips has been a good player over his career and we all respect his contribution - even through all the losing. He is not a Hall of Famer, he should not have his number retired. He needs to move on for a cup run somewhere else or retire in peace to his successful business with his great family and friends.

We need someone like Borowiecki, Wiercioch, Cowen to have the time to develop. And look at Claesson and Wideman. Borowiecki especially as Neil's perceived toughness needs to be ungraded with a useable player. Gryba already does what Phillips is doing, filling the steady No 5/6 slot, and does it quietly and reasonably well.

RedWhiteBlackGold

Veteran User
Feb 22, 2007
Charlottetown, PE
Douglas Murray didn't take no bs

Hall Gill was a giant

I don't see Chris Phillips having any similar appeal

Phillips reminds me of Regehr who fell of the map lately. I think he can compliment a contender as a shutdown defensive pairing. He has proving that here and once Cameron took over and limited his ice time he has seemed to have played better.

He's worth more to a contender than to us right now though. So I'm on board with getting a future pick if we can move him.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Murray after he gave Phillips the two year extension:
I-immediately-regret-this-decision-anchorman.gif

Phillips being his own agent was a brilliant idea. I think Murray had trouble pulling out the facts to phillips on just how bad he was becoming. With an agent i dont think it would have been hard at all to say things like phillips is one of the worst players in the league when it comes to making those around him better and he actually makes every player worse when you're on the ice.

I would hope at least if murray felt phillips was sorely needed on the team that he could have gotten a one year deal with no NTC

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I think Phillips could bring us in a second or something decent, he was a beast in the play offs not to long ago and I have a feeling he can be the cheap alternative to sekera at the deadline.

Neil is a wild card in value. I just have no idea what a guy like him would go for. It all depends on how his toughness is valued at the deadline IMO.

Methot needs to be resigned but if he won't I hope we get something good.

EssendonBombers

classless
Jan 4, 2011
Straya
I think Phillips could bring us in a second or something decent, he was a beast in the play offs not to long ago and I have a feeling he can be the cheap alternative to sekera at the deadline.

2007?

Phillips as an alternative to Sekera? They're entirely different players at very different points in their careers.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Neil is a wild card in value. I just have no idea what a guy like him would go for. It all depends on how his toughness is valued at the deadline IMO.

Methot needs to be resigned but if he won't I hope we get something good.

A western conference team that feels it's likely to meet up with LA or Chicago early would definitely want a guy like Neil.

But, I kinda like the idea of having a couple of Sens lifers, especially for such a young franchise. That's if they want to stay, of course.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
How can they justify not signing him is the point. They have tons of cap room and an opportunity to move other contracts out as stated in the article. It doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

The sudden transformation of EK since the return of Methot may be coincidence... but how the heck can you take that chance? Re-signing Methot should be a huge priority imo.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
2007?

Phillips as an alternative to Sekera? They're entirely different players at very different points in their careers.

Nah man like 2012, and he looked similar regular season as he does now.

As for the Sekera thing, Garrioch said they are looking for a first round pick and top prospect to move him. If a team is looking to add a left side D Which seems to be coveted this season Phillips is a play off vet that shows up in the postseason. Someone's gotta remember this.

They're not the same players no, but depends on the teams current blue line. Look at the Douglas Murray to Pittsburgh trade.

And I quote from Super Bowl nation:

"Sharks defenseman Douglas Murray, undoubtedly the team's worst blueliner this year and last, has been traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins for not one but two second round draft picks. From the horse's mouth:

"Bob mckenzies tweet announcing the trade"

Not only is this addition by subtraction for the Sharks, as the coaching staff no longer has the option of deploying the horrendous Murray/Brad Stuart pairing, it's good old addition by addition. Pittsburgh appears to only have one second rounder in 2013 so it's unclear when the other selection will come but that's tremendous value for a 7th defenseman and pending free agent."

Link:

http://www.fearthefin.com/2013/3/25...rray-to-pittsburgh-for-two-second-round-picks

It's not out of the question IMO to get a second rounder for him.

My guess if he was moved he would stay in the east. I think Almost any team in a play off spot n in the east he would waive for.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
With the ignore killing spree I have been on, I expected this 2 pages thread to be a little more insightful... I won't add more on the ignore list based on this thread, but there's a lot of bad posts, with erroneous/biased opinions. But oh well... I'm actually hoping that they trade Phillips or that he disappears so I won't have to hear about it again.

I guess Murray hasn't watched any of the games since Methot got back. How he also thinks that a forward missing is the biggest problem is also beyond me. Methot being back just puts more emphasis its the D core that needs the most help.

I don't get this... If Methot is back and clearly helps the defense, why does it puts more emphasis that its the D core that needs the most help? That sounds contradicting...

And it's weird but watching the games, to me it's painfully obvious that the team miss another offensive threat more than a D-Man (with Methot back), a guy who can score or set up another goal, instead of losing all those one-goal games... But maybe I'm delusional :rolleyes:

Why in gods name would you trade Methot?

If he doesn't sign an extension and instead of losing him to UFA?

I really don't know :sarcasm:

How can they justify not signing him is the point. They have tons of cap room and an opportunity to move other contracts out as stated in the article. It doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

Ah common, everybody and their dog knows it doesn't work like you wish. Signing a player is never guaranteed. Intentions don't necessarily end up in a positive result. There is money but also many other factors.

THIS doesn't seem like rocket science to me...

Safe to say Phillips is gone this year, either bought out or traded. (after he passes Alfie for most games played)

lol no.

I know most people here hate Phillips, but I was hoping he would retire a Sen. It's not like we're going to get much for him anyway.

It would be just sad if none of Alfie, Spezza, Phillips and Neil finish their career with the Sens. It would make many of the younger fans happy (those who think moving them would really change something between contending and not) but it's not like Ottawa has a big legacy... could use a bit of career Senators. I think it would be more positive for the franchise than adding more depth prospects (which we already have a ton) with mid round picks...

Murray after he gave Phillips the two year extension:
I-immediately-regret-this-decision-anchorman.gif

Really don't think anyone in the Sens organization (except for the paranoid portion of the fanbase) regret the decision, not even Melnyk.

Phillips makes little money for NHL standards as a player on UFA years and fills a 6th/7th veteran/PK/leader role here... 2.5 is BELOW today's NHL average salary, and that's including all the ELCs and RFAs years contracts. He is on a retirement contract. But some people refuse to understand this for some reason.

He developed into a very good complimentary partner when he was paired with the right player. He learned to set the table for Chara, with Volchenkov and even to an extent Redden. He was able to anticipate and read really well when with these players. We have had defensive issues ever since Muckler chose Redden over Chara.

We need someone like Borowiecki, Wiercioch, Cowen to have the time to develop. And look at Claesson and Wideman. Borowiecki especially as Neil's perceived toughness needs to be ungraded with a useable player. Gryba already does what Phillips is doing, filling the steady No 5/6 slot, and does it quietly and reasonably well.

SIGH. Phillips was not a complimentary player, he was seen by his peers as one of the best shutdown D-man in the entire league, and for years. In that case (the one you're making), 99% of NHL players are complimentary. Heck even Karlsson, cause he needs to be paired with a Methot to be real good.

Borowiecki, Wiercioch, Cowen are doing just that, developing. Having Phillips here doesn't a change much for them, they would still be "developing", but instead of Phillips, they would just have another teammate with a different name and eating minutes as well. It has been proven by probably ALL the NHL teams that it's actually a good thing to have 8 D-men.

The case you could make is that a LD would already be in the NHL, but it doesn't look like it was a bad idea in the end to let Claesson develop a bit more in the AHL, despite all the crap that has been said in that regard in 2014. Looks like a good portion of this fanbase was wrong, again.

Nah man like 2012, and he looked similar regular season as he does now.

You're right, Phillips was really good in 2011-12. ALL season

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...100&teamid=21&type=goals&sort=A60&sortdir=ASC

Nice to see you make your opinions for yourself and don't follow the "trends" like a copy cat.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
With the ignore killing spree I have been on, I expected this 2 pages thread to be a little more insightful... I won't add more on the ignore list based on this thread, but there's a lot of bad posts, with erroneous/biased opinions. But oh well... I'm actually hoping that they trade Phillips or that he disappears so I won't have to hear about it again.

I don't get this... If Methot is back and clearly helps the defense, why does it puts more emphasis that its the D core that needs the most help? That sounds contradicting...

And it's weird but watching the games, to me it's painfully obvious that the team miss another offensive threat more than a D-Man (with Methot back), a guy who can score or set up another goal, instead of losing all those one-goal games... But maybe I'm delusional :rolleyes:

If he doesn't sign an extension and instead of losing him to UFA?

I really don't know :sarcasm:

Ah common, everybody and their dog knows it doesn't work like you wish. Signing a player is never guaranteed. Intentions don't necessarily end up in a positive result. There is money but also many other factors.

THIS doesn't seem like rocket science to me...

lol no.

It would be just sad if none of Alfie, Spezza, Phillips and Neil finish their career with the Sens. It would make many of the younger fans happy (those who think moving them would really change something between contending and not) but it's not like Ottawa has a big legacy... could use a bit of career Senators. I think it would be more positive for the franchise than adding more depth prospects (which we already have a ton) with mid round picks...

Really don't think anyone in the Sens organization (except for the paranoid portion of the fanbase) regret the decision, not even Melnyk.

Phillips makes little money for NHL standards as a player on UFA years and fills a 6th/7th veteran/PK/leader role here... 2.5 is BELOW today's NHL average salary, and that's including all the ELCs and RFAs years contracts. He is on a retirement contract. But some people refuse to understand this for some reason.

SIGH. Phillips was not a complimentary player, he was seen by his peers as one of the best shutdown D-man in the entire league, and for years. In that case (the one you're making), 99% of NHL players are complimentary. Heck even Karlsson, cause he needs to be paired with a Methot to be real good.

Borowiecki, Wiercioch, Cowen are doing just that, developing. Having Phillips here doesn't a change much for them, they would still be "developing", but instead of Phillips, they would just have another teammate with a different name and eating minutes as well. It has been proven by probably ALL the NHL teams that it's actually a good thing to have 8 D-men.

The case you could make is that a LD would already be in the NHL, but it doesn't look like it was a bad idea in the end to let Claesson develop a bit more in the AHL, despite all the crap that has been said in that regard in 2014. Looks like a good portion of this fanbase was wrong, again.

You're right, Phillips was really good in 2011-12. ALL season

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...100&teamid=21&type=goals&sort=A60&sortdir=ASC

Nice to see you make your opinions for yourself and don't follow the "trends" like a copy cat.

Hey now, differing opinions don't mean they are erogenous (except maybe the buyout comment :sarcasm:)

Re: Methot, I think it's pretty simple. If we re-sign him, he stabilizes the back end, our defensive need goes way down. Our priority should then be a top flight winger. If we trade Methot+ for said winger, then the hole is back at D. I think we essentially need a "free" piece on this team to fill the hole created at either end of the ice, meaning we need to acquire one through either UFA or the draft.

I also agree that Phillips isn't (wasn't) a complimentary player. He was a key cog for a very long time on our D, and Philchenkov was one of the best shutdown tandems in the league. To have a functioning D pairing they need to compliment each other, that's the whole point.

Honestly, I hope he retires a Sen.

Last edited:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
That's not the point though

Murray got signed by Montreal, the most unfrightening team in the NHL outside of their ref support

Hall Gill was traded for by Nashville because no one on that team had any playoff experience (or close to none) and was a giant which probably matters more in the Western Conference

I agree that Phillips is probably better than both, but that's not the point. Phillips has experience but doesn't have much outside of it, I doubt Hall Gill returns a third if he isn't a giant, I'd be he doesn't even get signed by Montreal

Phillips doesn't have much experience?!?

Seriously...?

He was one of our best players during the Cup run and has been on many, many deep playoff runs. He has WAY more experience than either of the two pylons he's being compared to.

Just two years ago it was rumored that Boston offered a 2nd round pick AND a prospect (supposedly Spooner) for Phillips.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad