GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You don't have to be Jedi to apply some common sense

Most star goalies has had longevity. Even lundqvist played up to 37

How many more examples do you need?

Woll is fragile and super inconsistent. Hidelby hasn't played a single game in NHL

If you can get a vezina nominated goalie, go get that goalie.

See Rangers, Panthers and Dallas where goalies get you

Vasi tool Tampa to 3 Stanly cup finals

One area we been lacking for 20 years

Your talking about the elite of the elite of recent goaltending, betting big money and term on someone like Saros until he's 38 or 39 is a mugs game

New York and Dallas have young guys in goal and so was Vasi when Tampa won cups, also Bob isn't a great example, his contract blows and the only thing that saves it is 2 months in the playoffs

That's extremely unlikely to happen

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Yeah, if Saros is the main piece. Hopefully we are getting a lot of draft capital that we can then use to acquire someone like Necas or Theodore.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Nobody wants Marner off this team quicker than I do, but Saros as the centre piece in the deal is disgusting. Unless Nashville are really sweetening the deal, stay away.
Yeah, if Saros is the main piece. Hopefully we are getting a lot of draft capital that we can then use to acquire someone like Necas or Theodore.

That kind of goaltending is rarely ever available. They shouldn't have to really sweeten that much to me. I get the hesitation but Saros has been one of the most consistent and one of the better goaltenders in the league for awhile now. I'd expect a bit more coming to the Leafs but to expect a ton more is not really a fair expectation if Saros is included.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Necas' dad has been coming up quite a bit with Carolina....I don't think I want one of those situations again.
Not to mention he’s soft as melted butter. We don’t need another one of those in our top six.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
That kind of goaltending is rarely ever available. They shouldn't have to really sweeten that much to me. I get the hesitation but Saros has been one of the most consistent and one of the better goaltenders in the league for awhile now. I'd expect a bit more coming to the Leafs but to expect a ton more is not really a fair expectation if Saros is included.
I think the problem is, people are worried about his size, and reaction time starts to slow down, he will decline faster than big goalies.

Also, he's coming off his worst season.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Your talking about the elite of the elite of recent goaltending, betting big money and term on someone like Saros until he's 38 or 39 is a mugs game

New York and Dallas have young guys in goal and so was Vasi when Tampa won cups, also Bob isn't a great example, his contract blows and the only thing that saves it is 2 months in the playoffs

That's extremely unlikely to happen

you know shesterkins is only 8 month younger than Saros right?

Since he's in the NHL (2016)amount goalie , he one of top 5 goalie in NHL no doubt about it.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think the problem is, people are worried about his size, and reaction time starts to slow down, he will decline faster than big goalies.

Also, he's coming off his worst season.

Fair concerns and I'd say that's probably why there will be a bit more value going towards the Leafs in that scenario. It's not like Marner had his best season either. I am not sure why he would decline faster because of his size... A big goaltender can decline just as fast if not faster?

Saros has played and started the most games of any other goaltender in the last 3 years. If he suddenly gets injured or declines out of the blue... the Leafs are really cursed.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
1716382554006.png

1716382574687.png

Would something like this be the least surprising / boring / predictable expectation for the off-season?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Fair concerns and I'd say that's probably why there will be a bit more value going towards the Leafs in that scenario. It's not like Marner had his best season either. I am not sure why he would decline faster because of his size... A big goaltender can decline just as fast if not faster?

Saros has played and started the most games of any other goaltender in the last 3 years. If he suddenly gets injured or declines out of the blue... the Leafs are really cursed.
Bigger goaltenders can rely on positioning and taking up more space to make saves. Smaller goalies need to move more and rely more on reactions.

That's the risk.

The upside is getting a proven long term superstar calibre goaltender.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I dont wanna see Kampf and Jarnkrok on this team next year. Soft as butter and does nothing in the playoffs. Kampf is overpaid anyways

Hopefully Tre can dump them

Reactions: TMLAM34

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I dont wanna see Kampf and Jarnkrok on this team next year. Soft as butter and does nothing in the playoffs. Kampf is overpaid anyways

It'll be hard to dump someone after the first year of his extension. I agree though Kampf would be first on my list to dump off for almost anything. I also think the Leafs value him more than fans but I hope he's someone they can change into a more physical/younger version.

Jarnkrok has some decent value. The Leafs won't have an issue finding some value for him.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020

Hopefully, we have cheaper internal options in Holmberg, Dewar and potentially Minten to replace Kampf. With the way Holmberg ended the season/playoffs and played in the WC’s I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s ready to take on a full NHL role and replace Kampf. With the cap savings and moving off of Jarnkrok, I would love to replace him with someone like Joshua or Foegele.

Reactions: OVO16

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
It'll be hard to dump someone after the first year of his extension. I agree though he'd be first on my list to dump off for almost anything. I also think the Leafs value him more than fans so I'd expect him back unfortunately.
I think Keefe valued him hard. One of the reasons I think Tre re-signed Kampf was because Keefe liked him so much. Probably one of the players Keefe told Tre he liked and would like back

I just don't think Kampf is a Berbube type of player and also we have depth there now with Holmberg/Dewar, who both provide more for cheaper.

Kampf needs to be dumped

Reactions: SprDaVE

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Saros is going to be 30 when his next contract begins. There's so much risk there, I don't see how any decent GM would trade Marner with him as a centrepiece.

There will be some pluses.

I'm not a giant advocate for the trade...but I definitely acknowledge it's a possibility.

I am hoping we get lots of great offers to choose from.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Saros is going to be 30 when his next contract begins. There's so much risk there, I don't see how any decent GM would trade Marner with him as a centrepiece.

He should be the sweetener. We need a defender primarily and if not that a good prospect or picks etc.

Reactions: TheShape

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Marner trade aside, Pagnotta said Treliving will be looking for a 3rd line shutdown center. A center with offensive upside but also some jam

2 Players he expects Treliving to go after are Scott Laughton and Boone Jenner.

This also makes me think Tre liked Domi more as a passing winger

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
There will be some pluses.

I'm not a giant advocate for the trade...but I definitely acknowledge it's a possibility.

I am hoping we get lots of great offers to choose from.

When it comes to a superstar trade, it's not the pluses that matter. What is the centrepiece of what this team is getting back?

Saros and agent must be licking their lips at the idea of doing a contract negotiation in this city with the help of our esteemed media members.

This would be a disaster on many fronts.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Utah would be the best trading partner when it comes to a Marner trade, Utah will also be looking to make a big splash. Guenther and McBain would be really good gets.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It'll be hard to dump someone after the first year of his extension. I agree though Kampf would be first on my list to dump off for almost anything. I also think the Leafs value him more than fans but I hope he's someone they can change into a more physical/younger version.

Jarnkrok has some decent value. The Leafs won't have an issue finding some value for him.

After watching the way Vegas does business and our own guys fight for every last cent on there deals I'd be extremely ok if the front office concerned itself less about optics and more about what's best for the team

We treat our players very well, I think it's time to start doing what's best for the Leafs and getting far tougher with them

Business is business

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Marner trade aside, Pagnotta said Treliving will be looking for a 3rd line shutdown center. A center with offensive upside but also some jam

2 Players he expects Treliving to go after are Scott Laughton and Boone Jenner.

This also makes me think Tre liked Domi more as a passing winger

They haven't even had player personnel meetings yet and Pagnotta is speculating?

Laughton has historically done better on wing too.

The other thing is, Kampf is supposed to be that too....zero concern from me if he leaves but if we had 2, it would be fairly stupid.

When it comes to a superstar trade, it's not the pluses that matter. What is the centrepiece of what this team is getting back?

Saros and agent must be licking their lips at the idea of doing a contract negotiation in this city with the help of our esteemed media members.

This would be a disaster on many fronts.

I don't disagree, Tkachuk got a 1st, top pair RD and top line winger...if we do an extension or Marner is willing to extend, I would like to get some pieces that fill our biggest needs.

After watching the way Vegas does business and our own guys fight for every last cent on there deals I'd be extremely ok if the front office concerned itself less about optics and more about what's best for the team

We treat our players very well, I think it's time to start doing what's best for the Leafs and getting far tougher with them

Business is business

This.

Ekholm, a far better player got traded a year after extending.

Reactions: Kiwi

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
trading marner is changing the culture, getting cap flexibility and bringing balance to the roster. Getting a one to one or top prospect just isn't realistic at this point.

They need a goalie and a top dman.
Which goalies are available? Gibson? Markstrom? Ullmark?
Which D are available? Seth Jones? Carlson? Ekblad? Parayko?

None of those D really get me excited

Ullmark would probably be best target but within Division probably isn't realistic
Markstrom is to old
Gibson is interesting, Gibson and Zegras would be interesting

Saros + is a good hockey trade

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
They haven't even had player personnel meetings yet and Pagnotta is speculating?

Laughton has historically done better on wing too.

The other thing is, Kampf is supposed to be that too....zero concern from me if he leaves but if we had 2, it would be fairly stupid.

I don't disagree, Tkachuk got a 1st, top pair RD and top line winger...if we do an extension or Marner is willing to extend, I would like to get some pieces that fill our biggest needs.
There's no way you think Kampf can be a 3rd line shut down player. He was always brought on for a 4th line role. He is offensively inept and has no jam to his game to be a shut down player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad