News Article: Murray willing to trade Methot, Phillips and Neil

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think a 3rd is absolute best scenario

He started the year well then got tired and now needs to be scratched every now and then to stay at a good level

The playoffs are lot of more intense: will be able to play every game? I'd have my doubts but he's certainly not horrible, just seems like a risky move considering how he's played the last two years (being relied on too much yes but still)

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Agreed.

I do believe Cameron has had a positive effect on many of the young players.

Well Healy did mention he was being very encouraging when talking to Condra during the Toronto game and the guy was a school concillor or something like before becoming a coach

I think the way the last two seasons have gone (incredibly disappointing) having a positive message come from the coach is paramount. Hard to blame Maclean for not being overly positive since he knew he was on the hot-seat

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Well Healy did mention he was being very encouraging when talking to Condra during the Toronto game and the guy was a school concillor or something like before becoming a coach

I think the way the last two seasons have gone (incredibly disappointing) having a positive message come from the coach is paramount. Hard to blame Maclean for not being overly positive since he knew he was on the hot-seat

Wasn't the same thing said about Maclean during his first year? That he was a people person that communicated very well? Somewhere down the road he abandoned that approach it seems.

Hopefully Cameron keeps the line of communication open for the duration of his tenure here.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Neiler has value, no question about it. I'd love to see him on a contender battling it out in the west.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Maybe Murray's just using this as a way to get Methot to sign? Neil and Phillips are probably good enough soldiers that you could throw their names around without offending them.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Phillips will get a return based on his leadership, experience, and reputation alone. Dont forget he was looking good in big minutes at the start of the year. I could even see a team like MTL pushing hard for him.

Wasn't Montreal in on him last time we sold house? Eller and a second was the rumor

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Trade Methot cause we cant afford to resign him

Neil and Philips aren't going anywhere no value and won't waive

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Neil and Philips aren't going anywhere...
1) no value, and
2) won't waive

Disagree on the 1st point, and as for the 2nd point: they both only have limited no-trade clauses, so they only get veto power in like an 8 or 10 team list. If they get dealt to a team that's not on their veto list, they don't get a chance to waive.

( sorry for reformatting your post, I only did it to address each point specifically)

BigBush*

Im not sure if Phillips would waive his NTC for Monteal, but
Phillips for Allen + 3rd would make sense at the deadline.

It allows Wiercoch to be our 7th Dman next year, and Phillips gets a chance to be a depth Dman on a playoff team, plus he stays in the area for his family/business. Allen's salary would be pretty much paid and is off our payroll at the end of the year
Although Im not sure if Phillips is enough of an upgrade over Allen to justify giving up a 3rd for

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Being able to afford him isn't an issue. Like always, we won't drastically overpay a player beyond what management thinks he's worth. More of the same crap thrown around by the same folk.

Neil and Phillips will be moved if they want to chase a cup, and both have around 2nd round pick value for a contending team, and don't need to waive anything.

This is just a typical doom and gloom, based on fabrication, Nizzy post...

Ho Hum...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Im not sure if Phillips would waive his NTC for Monteal, but
Phillips for Allen + 3rd would make sense at the deadline.

It allows Wiercoch to be our 7th Dman next year, and Phillips gets a chance to be a depth Dman on a playoff team, plus he stays in the area for his family/business. Allen's salary would be pretty much paid and is off our payroll at the end of the year
Although Im not sure if Phillips is enough of an upgrade over Allen to justify giving up a 3rd for

Why would we acquire Allen?(from a fans perspective). We will just all be ripping on Allen next year the same way we rip in Phillips.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Even if we couldn't afford methot. He second we trade Phillips or Neil we probably can afford methot.

But we can afford methot anyway. For people that say we don't spend. Can you guys name 5 FAs last year that you would have liked the team to splash cash on?
Personally I can name 1. Ehrhoff. And I accept that he would have went to Pittsburgh over us. For people that wanted niskanen or stralman. They probably would have went to more competitive teams as well. (Not that I wanted either. Because in a few years time. We would be moaning and groaning about those two contracts).

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Would like to trade for Stone would you consider Petan in trade.

Not I. Petan has all the tools but his size will be a factor in the NHL. I know guys like Gaudreau are doing well so far, but I fear they'll have short careers as their bodies take a beating.

As for Stone, Hoffman gets all the press because of the goals but Stone is our best rookie. He has amazing hockey sense and has a much more well rounded game.

He's also a thief. I doubt he's available.

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
Not I. Petan has all the tools but his size will be a factor in the NHL. I know guys like Gaudreau are doing well so far, but I fear they'll have short careers as their bodies take a beating.

As for Stone, Hoffman gets all the press because of the goals but Stone is our best rookie. He has amazing hockey sense and has a much more well rounded game.

He's also a thief. I doubt he's available.

Noticed a lack of goalies in your system could we sweeten the pot with Comrie and Petan is bigger and heavier than Johnny H

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We have a logjam at center. Not sure if Petan ever beats out Turris or zibanejad in the top six.

If by Log jam you mean a spot that's absolutely open. Its not a log jam when they are all 3,4 and 5C's.

I think its hilarious that people say 'we cant afford methot'. If they cant afford to pay a player market value when they have the lowest payrole in the league this team simply 'cant afford' to be in the NHL. The raise he wants is about 1.75 million if people are keeping track. That's less than Phillips, Smith, Neil, Legwand, Greening and Michalek all individually make which are all players this organization can easily wash there hands with and be better off for it. Btw they all combined make roughly 16 million. That's a lot of useless money.

MacArthur Turris Stone
Hoffman Zibanejad Ryan
Puemple Pageau Chiasson
Prince Lazar Condra

Methot Karlsson
Cowen Ceci
Borowiecki Gryba
Wiercioch

Anderson
Lehner

Now tell me does that lineup really look much worse? Maybe in the grit department, but they are certainly faster and more skilled. This team can afford Methot.

Last edited:

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
If by Log jam you mean a spot that's absolutely open. Its not a log jam when they are all 3,4 and 5C's.

I think its hilarious that people say 'we can afford methot'. If they cant afford to pay a player market value when they have the lowest payrole in the league this team simply 'cant afford' to be in the NHL. The raise he wants is about 1.75 million if people are keeping track. That's less than Phillips, Smith, Neil, Legwand, Greening and Michalek all make which are all players this organization can easily wash there hands with and be better off for it.

It's really hard to read all the way through your post when you start off by calling all of our centers "3, 4 and 5C's".

Talk about ridiculous...not to mention the rest of your heavily biased post. Good Lord.

Karlsson2Turris*

He was playing wing in training camp ran the power play well off the boards.

Although I love Petan, Stone is already proving himself as a 2nd line winger. He has great potential to be a 60 point player in his prime

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's really hard to read all the way through your post when you start off by calling all of our centers "3, 4 and 5C's".

Talk about ridiculous...not to mention the rest of your heavily biased post. Good Lord.

Outside of Turris who has produced as a top 6?

What am I being biased about? Wanting the team to sign Methot? Anyone that has watched has seen how valuable he is to the team for a multitude of reasons. Do you disagree?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad