News Article: Murray willing to trade Methot, Phillips and Neil

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The Chris' can both go. This is a business and they have had great lives living in this city. Phillips shouldn't be in the line up.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I guess Murray hasn't watched any of the games since Methot got back. How he also thinks that a forward missing is the biggest problem is also beyond me. Methot being back just puts more emphasis its the D core that needs the most help.

If any team is willing to give up assets for either Chris the deal should already have been done. Boro fills Neil's role and with moving Phillips out it opens up a roster spot and the money to sign Methot. 2+2 it seems like to me.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Why in gods name would you trade Methot?

Because if he does not sign within a few weeks he walks and we get nothing. He says he wants to sign him, so I think this is a shot across the bow in the negotiation process.

He apparently has a new agent, so if he is not signed in a month or so, trade him out of here.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Because if he does not sign within a few weeks he walks and we get nothing. He says he wants to sign him, so I think this is a shot across the bow in the negotiation process.

He apparently has a new agent, so if he is not signed in a month or so, trade him out of here.

How can they justify not signing him is the point. They have tons of cap room and an opportunity to move other contracts out as stated in the article. It doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Neil and Phillips can retire if they dont want to be traded. Its part of hockey.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
How can they justify not signing him is the point. They have tons of cap room and an opportunity to move other contracts out as stated in the article. It doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

Cap room means nothing to the Sens though. It is the team budget that matters.

Agreed that moving out other contract to make room for his deal would be prudent, considering how badly the team needs him.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The only reason I could see for the Senators to not sign Methot will be because of injury concern which has monetary value

It won't be because they don't think his play is worth the dollars he's asking for

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa

It's just a part of bargaining game.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
trade methot for a backup goalie, trade lehner for a top 4 dman, trade phillips for a 4th line winger, trade neil for some fries from the big rig(i like the fries there)

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
trade methot for a backup goalie, trade lehner for a top 4 dman, trade phillips for a 4th line winger, trade neil for some fries from the big rig(i like the fries there)

I like the onion ring batter I could taste some beer and the salad was not bad.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Cap room means nothing to the Sens though. It is the team budget that matters.

Agreed that moving out other contract to make room for his deal would be prudent, considering how badly the team needs him.

Well they are at the floor they literally cant go any lower if they don't have 500k a year for a player that good then there is no point.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
floor is 51 million for this year
we are at 56 million right now

We've got RFAs ( Stone, Hoffman, Zibby, Chiasson, Pageau? Not sure) that are going to change that quite a bit and with Methot ( or other player replacing him) also resigning and Bobby's new contract we won't be as close to the floor. Unless many players are unloaded( Neil, Smith, Legwand, Phillips, Greening)

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Couldn't you sign Meth to a one-year extension with mucho $$$ just to keep him around and give us more time to evaluate things (i.e. his health) and hopefully work toward a longer term deal? Win-win.

Jerk Store*

Couldn't you sign Meth to a one-year extension with mucho $$$ just to keep him around and give us more time to evaluate things (i.e. his health) and hopefully work toward a longer term deal? Win-win.

No, if he gets hurt, that could be it for his career. He wants a long term deal and an iron clad insurance policy on it

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Safe to say Phillips is gone this year, either bought out or traded. (after he passes Alfie for most games played)

Neil is still good for a few years.

Method is needed now!

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
OHhhh i remember this part.

He's working through a chapter in the book he owns called Mind Games or something :laugh:

I wish I had the picture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad