News Article: Murray willing to trade Methot, Phillips and Neil

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If by Log jam you mean a spot that's absolutely open. Its not a log jam when they are all 3,4 and 5C's.

Does Petan beat out Turris? No.
Does Petan beat out zibanejad ? No
Okay. That leaves us with this logjam of 3 and 4 C's (5cs don't exist). Does Petan translate well to bottom six role in the NHL? No. (I don't think so)

Apparently he's been playing a bit of wing I understand from the jets fans last post.
Does he beat out MacArthur? No.
Does he beat out Hoffman? Probably not.

So while we have no elite center. Petan won't come in here and be that person either. So yeah. Our logjam of centers does directly affect any potential deal we make for Petan.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If by Log jam you mean a spot that's absolutely open. Its not a log jam when they are all 3,4 and 5C's.

I think its hilarious that people say 'we cant afford methot'. If they cant afford to pay a player market value when they have the lowest payrole in the league this team simply 'cant afford' to be in the NHL. The raise he wants is about 1.75 million if people are keeping track. That's less than Phillips, Smith, Neil, Legwand, Greening and Michalek all individually make which are all players this organization can easily wash there hands with and be better off for it. Btw they all combined make roughly 16 million. That's a lot of useless money.

MacArthur Turris Stone
Hoffman Zibanejad Ryan
Puemple Pageau Chiasson
Prince Lazar Condra

Methot Karlsson
Cowen Ceci
Borowiecki Gryba
Wiercioch

Anderson
Lehner

Now tell me does that lineup really look much worse? Maybe in the grit department, but they are certainly faster and more skilled. This team can afford Methot.

I think it's hilarious as well, though not at all for the misguided reasons you present. The issue isn't that we don't have the money, it's a question of paying players what you feel they are worth, to a term that you think they will live up to. Can Method stay healthy for another 5 years?

As for the amount, a team's pay structure is important. Certain players shouldn't be making more than other better players, and if you let certain players escalate the internal pay structure undeservingly, then you end up having to pay EVERYONE more. Guys that are judged to be half as good as Method now have a solid argument, guys that are better or more valuable then Method now have a firm argument. Simplistically it was like what Detroit used to do; no one was to be paid more than Lidstrom, because he was the best player. Long term deals tend to alter amounts of course, but the team has many more considerations when it comes to salaries than simply how much room they have, and how much Staal or Orpik got. If Method won't fit into our team pay structure, or at least be close, then the team will let him walk because there are far more important implications at play, and Method is not a special player. Having the amount of dollars to pay is NOT the issue here.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Does Petan beat out Turris? No.
Does Petan beat out zibanejad ? No
Okay. That leaves us with this logjam of 3 and 4 C's (5cs don't exist). Does Petan translate well to bottom six role in the NHL? No. (I don't think so)

Apparently he's been playing a bit of wing I understand from the jets fans last post.
Does he beat out MacArthur? No.
Does he beat out Hoffman? Probably not.

So while we have no elite center. Petan won't come in here and be that person either. So yeah. Our logjam of centers does directly affect any potential deal we make for Petan.

I think he could certainly push them, he is more skilled than they are. His hockey sense is off the charts, and he looks like a guy that really competes. I don't think having another small skilled center with Turris is the right model at all but I do think he would come in and play, he could be a special player.

I would rather keep Stone.

Over Petan I agree I wouldn't trade him for him right now either. But I do think he is going to be a player.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Outside of Turris who has produced as a top 6?

What am I being biased about? Wanting the team to sign Methot? Anyone that has watched has seen how valuable he is to the team for a multitude of reasons. Do you disagree?

Well, Zibb is 61st in points for centremen, at 21 years old, coming from Swedish hockey. Pretty good I'd say, and he did have a super slow start.

He's doing just fine as a young top six centreman, and will only get better. I wouldn't be surprised to see him firmly entrenched in the top 40-60 centres by the end of the season.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

I think its hilarious that people say 'we cant afford methot'. If they cant afford to pay a player market value when they have the lowest payrole in the league this team simply 'cant afford' to be in the NHL. The raise he wants is about 1.75 million if people are keeping track. That's less than Phillips, Smith, Neil, Legwand, Greening and Michalek all individually make which are all players this organization can easily wash there hands with and be better off for it. Btw they all combined make roughly 16 million. That's a lot of useless money.

MacArthur Turris Stone
Hoffman Zibanejad Ryan
Puemple Pageau Chiasson
Prince Lazar Condra

Methot Karlsson
Cowen Ceci
Borowiecki Gryba
Wiercioch

Anderson
Lehner

Now tell me does that lineup really look much worse? Maybe in the grit department, but they are certainly faster and more skilled. This team can afford Methot.

Outside of Turris who has produced as a top 6?

What am I being biased about? Wanting the team to sign Methot? Anyone that has watched has seen how valuable he is to the team for a multitude of reasons. Do you disagree?

You pan all our centers as 3/4/5 guys (I don't know what the **** a 5C is, but anyway) and yet you think Petan who has no NHL experience yet will beat out one of our established guys for a top 6 center position.

Turris has already proven that he's an excellent 2C and an average two-way 1C.
Zibanejad is 21 and well on his way to a 40+ point season and has 23 points in his last 32 games (at least second line center numbers if you average it out) and is probably already the first line center on this team thanks to the fact that Hoffman and Ryan are carrying this team offensively lately. So, no Zibanejad hasn't already produced top 6 numbers although by the end of this season he will have done so.

Also, no I don't disagree that Methot is valuable to this team. Although, as has been mentioned 100 million times before, there is something frightening about giving that kind of term and money to a guy who spent the last 8 months rehabbing the same injury and still plays with pain. That's not the way to run a franchise. You don't make those kinds of gambles on a whim because you have the cap room today. That's how teams destroy themselves. Murray and co. are smart enough to know that there's a ton of young talent on the roster that are earning themselves big time dollars through their performance and that you can't handcuff yourself with bad contracts because you have the room to do it today. You need to think this year, next year and the year after - at the minimum - when projecting out cap space.

Do you think Zibanejad, Hoffman, Stone and Chiasson are going to take the same dollars they're getting paid this year? Not a chance in hell. What about if they continue to progress and continue to increase their production? What about the contract after this next one coming up? Do you want this team handcuffed for $5.5 million or whatever it is because we thought "oh ****, we have the cap room today to make this signing who the **** cares about tomorrow" and then the player in question had his back give out on him?

We need a healthy Methot. Not the Methot with a bad back who can't seem to figure out a way to get it back to 100%. If you can find me the healthy Methot, I'll gladly agree to sign him to market value. And so would the team. As it stands right now, it's a ****ing big gamble and the team isn't going to wager that much cap room on rolling the dice and hoping for the best.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
^^ only problem with that BankStreet is that if he actually get's injured they could put him on LTIR = no cap hit. However, they don't want to do that because they'd still have to pay his salary. To me it's not really about Methot getting injured, it's about the $$.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You pan all our centers as 3/4/5 guys (I don't know what the **** a 5C is, but anyway) and yet you think Petan who has no NHL experience yet will beat out one of our established guys for a top 6 center position.

Turris has already proven that he's an excellent 2C and an average two-way 1C.
Zibanejad is 21 and well on his way to a 40+ point season and has 23 points in his last 32 games (at least second line center numbers if you average it out) and is probably already the first line center on this team thanks to the fact that Hoffman and Ryan are carrying this team offensively lately. So, no Zibanejad hasn't already produced top 6 numbers although by the end of this season he will have done so.

Also, no I don't disagree that Methot is valuable to this team. Although, as has been mentioned 100 million times before, there is something frightening about giving that kind of term and money to a guy who spent the last 8 months rehabbing the same injury and still plays with pain. That's not the way to run a franchise. You don't make those kinds of gambles on a whim because you have the cap room today. That's how teams destroy themselves. Murray and co. are smart enough to know that there's a ton of young talent on the roster that are earning themselves big time dollars through their performance and that you can't handcuff yourself with bad contracts because you have the room to do it today. You need to think this year, next year and the year after - at the minimum - when projecting out cap space.

Do you think Zibanejad, Hoffman, Stone and Chiasson are going to take the same dollars they're getting paid this year? Not a chance in hell. What about if they continue to progress and continue to increase their production? What about the contract after this next one coming up? Do you want this team handcuffed for $5.5 million or whatever it is because we thought "oh ****, we have the cap room today to make this signing who the **** cares about tomorrow" and then the player in question had his back give out on him?

We need a healthy Methot. Not the Methot with a bad back who can't seem to figure out a way to get it back to 100%. If you can find me the healthy Methot, I'll gladly agree to sign him to market value. And so would the team. As it stands right now, it's a ****ing big gamble and the team isn't going to wager that much cap room on rolling the dice and hoping for the best.

A 5 C is a spare part this team has plenty of those a guy that doesn't stay in the lineup regularly.

Petan has no NHL experience no ****, he's in Jr what a revelation over the last 3 years he has been arguably the best Jr player in the world. I guess every Jr player wont project to play in the NHL...

I don't see how anyone on the roster that plays center is an established NHL'er. Zibanejad has been given every opportunity to succeed and is playing with debatably the top two forwards on the team. Zibanejad has been ok, he lacks consistency, I don't think its any stretch to think Petan could be a better player than him. Pageau has been moved into his place multiple times and has looked as good or better and he wasn't nearly the Jr or the prospect Petan is. I still have high hopes for Zibanejad as he has great tools but I am not going to hold my breath if he ends up being a 2/3C.

You think signing Methot is a decision being made on a whim?... Do you know how it works if a player goes on the LTIR? Do you know who pays the player if they are injured long term? You should probably look into it before making such blanket statements. Look into Marc Savard and Nathan Horton. There is a reason there is insurance FYI. IO agree the injuries are a concern but who else is this team going to get that can play elite and wants to be here? None absolutely none of the left handed defensemen showed anything close to having the hockey IQ and skating ability to play with Karlsson.

Methot has undoubtedly been the best partner Erik Karlsson has ever had, he simply makes him better I have gone on into detail multiple times about why and how he helps. You He is the best defensive D man on this team by a wide margin, he does things like get the puck out controlled, block shots and eliminate scoring chances and negates many of Karlsson's mistakes. This is where the team needs most help.

I think personally you over value some of the players on this team. Turris is not an average #1 C he simply isn't you aren't winning anything of significance unless he is backed up by another very good centerman. Great number 2 I agree but not a number 1, outside of sens fans you wont find anyone that says he is a number 1.

Chiasson? What kindof raise do you think he is going to get seriously? He hasn't scored in 15 games. Stone? He is coming off one season at a roughly .6 scoring clip on his ELC.

Hoffman is approaching UFA years so he will probably get a bigger raise. But wont get more than Tyler Johnson or Palat so that's max 3.33.

As I outlined there are 16 million in dollars that can easily be cut from this teams budget.

I hope you are wrong in your assessment of the team and Methot, I don't think it will sit very well with 65 if he see's the only guy he likes playing with get shipped off. And this team isn't going any further than 65 takes them.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
The team is trending upwards, and all the blue-chippers or highly anticipated prospects like Ceci, Zibanejad, Lazar, Stone, etc. are now all on the team.

That's why our farm isn't looking too planted, it's cause all our vegetables and fruit have grown ripe onto the big club. (lol)

Wouldn't trade any youth on the team right now, other than players like Chiasson/Wiercioch.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
^^ only problem with that BankStreet is that if he actually get's injured they could put him on LTIR = no cap hit. However, they don't want to do that because they'd still have to pay his salary. To me it's not really about Methot getting injured, it's about the $$.

I think you missed an important factor which has nothing to do with money.

If the Sens sign methot and his back gives out who do they have to replace him?

Answer, nobody at this time.

So is Murray better off running the risk with Methot or trading him and signing a UFA?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
The Methot situation is tricky. The team is clearly better off on the ice with a healthy Methot playing next to Karlsson. However, this recent injury should make the team pause a bit before offering him a long term deal. On the other side, Methot would be crazy to take a deal under 4 years at 5 MM per because he would get at least that on the open market this summer.

A point that was correctly made already in this thread is that we have a pay structure on the team. My guess is that if Methot sticks to his demands, which the team feels is above his value within the structure that is in place, the team will do a sign and trade to move him out.

Of course this can get tricky and very complicated if Methot asks for a NMC as well. For all the things BM does well as a GM, he kind of bones up when trying to move players with such clauses. With both Heatley and Spezza he tried to force them to accept movement to a team they did not want to go to, and in both cases it backfired badly. And, by the way, in both cases the players were 100% in the right.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
A 5 C is a spare part this team has plenty of those a guy that doesn't stay in the lineup regularly.

I don't see any spare part centers on this team so far this year. Maybe Smith is arguable although he's been out for a long stretch now and has proven to have value to the roster when healthy.

Petan has no NHL experience no ****, he's in Jr what a revelation over the last 3 years he has been arguably the best Jr player in the world. I guess every Jr player wont project to play in the NHL...

Yet you're the one saying he would easily beat out Turris and Zibanejad for a top 6 center position!

Here's a fun game. Guess who's who:

Player A

18 year old junior season: 71GP 37G 69A 106P
19 year old junior season: 66GP 41G 82A 123P

Player B

18 year old junior season: 63GP 35G 78A 113P
19 year old junior season: 30GP 6G 33A 39P

Both played in the same junior league. One guy is Petan and the other guy is Mark Stone. Tell me what's so impressive about Petan's head-to-head years that earns him such worldly praise to be called "arguably the best Jr player in the world" over the last 3 years?

I don't see how anyone on the roster that plays center is an established NHL'er. Zibanejad has been given every opportunity to succeed and is playing with debatably the top two forwards on the team. Zibanejad has been ok, he lacks consistency, I don't think its any stretch to think Petan could be a better player than him. Pageau has been moved into his place multiple times and has looked as good or better and he wasn't nearly the Jr or the prospect Petan is. I still have high hopes for Zibanejad as he has great tools but I am not going to hold my breath if he ends up being a 2/3C.

First bolded part: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?????? More below on that.
Second bolded part: 23 points in his last 32 games. You might not think it's a stretch for Petan to be a better player but I'll take the guy with size and skill and a great toolbox over the undersized guy regressing in junior.

You think signing Methot is a decision being made on a whim?... Do you know how it works if a player goes on the LTIR? Do you know who pays the player if they are injured long term? You should probably look into it before making such blanket statements. Look into Marc Savard and Nathan Horton. There is a reason there is insurance FYI. IO agree the injuries are a concern but who else is this team going to get that can play elite and wants to be here? None absolutely none of the left handed defensemen showed anything close to having the hockey IQ and skating ability to play with Karlsson.

No, I said signing Methot shouldn't be a decision made on a whim. The fact is if the team felt comfortable with his injury issues he would probably already have signed an extension. A point that seems to easily elude you for whatever reason.

Methot has undoubtedly been the best partner Erik Karlsson has ever had, he simply makes him better I have gone on into detail multiple times about why and how he helps. You He is the best defensive D man on this team by a wide margin, he does things like get the puck out controlled, block shots and eliminate scoring chances and negates many of Karlsson's mistakes. This is where the team needs most help.

No one disagrees that when healthy Methot is a great partner to Karlsson. People disagree with the fact that he might not be able to play to that level going forward because of his back injury. It's not that complex a thought to understand.

I think personally you over value some of the players on this team. Turris is not an average #1 C he simply isn't you aren't winning anything of significance unless he is backed up by another very good centerman. Great number 2 I agree but not a number 1, outside of sens fans you wont find anyone that says he is a number 1.

Here are the facts for Turris:

Last year, Turris finished #22 in the NHL for scoring by centermen. He was right up there with a lot of the big boys.

This year, so far, Turris is #44 in the NHL for scoring by centermen. And we can all agree that Turris has struggled to find consistency this year. The thing is, pretty much any 2 or 3 point game puts Turris in to the top 30 scorers for centers this year.

There's no overvaluing of Turris. He finished 22nd last year in that category. That makes him an elite second line center and an average two-way first line center. How could there possibly be an argument there?

Chiasson? What kindof raise do you think he is going to get seriously? He hasn't scored in 15 games. Stone? He is coming off one season at a roughly .6 scoring clip on his ELC.

Hoffman is approaching UFA years so he will probably get a bigger raise. But wont get more than Tyler Johnson or Palat so that's max 3.33.

As I outlined there are 16 million in dollars that can easily be cut from this teams budget.

I hope you are wrong in your assessment of the team and Methot, I don't think it will sit very well with 65 if he see's the only guy he likes playing with get shipped off. And this team isn't going any further than 65 takes them.

I don't know what kind of raise those guys are going to get. But I'm willing to bet they're going to be getting paid a lot more than they do now. Especially if guys like Stone, Zibanejad and Hoffman continue producing at the current rates and providing this team with the calibre of play they've provided so far.

I think you missed an important factor which has nothing to do with money.

If the Sens sign methot and his back gives out who do they have to replace him?

Answer, nobody at this time.

So is Murray better off running the risk with Methot or trading him and signing a UFA?

I was just going to say exactly what holdurbreathe just said.

You commit $5+ million in cap space to Methot. His back gives out two months in to his contract extension or even tomorrow (a very real possibility given that he's been dealing with this for 8 months). What do you do? You think there's going to be a mountain of upper echelon defensemen hanging around a few months in to the season waiting to come replace Methot?

And don't say the Sens should sign Methot AND another $5+ million defenseman. That's not going to happen. Not because the team doesn't want to spend money, but because the team doesn't want to spend that kind of money on a guy who's going to be a second pairing guy if things go well.

So, now you've handcuffed yourself with a guy who's back is a ticking time bomb. You've taken yourself out of the running for high priced UFA defensemen because you assumed the guy you already had would be playing. Do you make a trade? Now you have to spend considerable assets obtaining a top pairing defenseman to play with #65.

Like I said, if you can bring me the healthy Marc Methot, I would gladly sign him to a market value extension. And so would the team. There's no question. Where Methot currently sits is a very, very difficult position for the team with the tremendous uncertainty about where this guy's playing ability is going to be given his physical ailment. And anyone who would say otherwise is full of ****. Period.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

A VERY good number 2 is automatically an average number 1 I think.
It's not like he has no offensive ability.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Drafted mcdavid.
Traded smith puempel and a second for oreilly.
Then zibanejad and a 1st for Kane.
Just wanted you all to know.
You welcome.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Drafted mcdavid.
Traded smith puempel and a second for oreilly.
Then zibanejad and a 1st for Kane.
Just wanted you all to know.
You welcome.

McDavid busts, orielly gets caught stealing money off a Kane's back and kane destroys ottawa in one crazy night of partying.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Petan is not a guy I'd give anything more than a 2nd for. I don't care how good he looks in junior, the WJC against weak countries, or training camp. He won't translate well into the big leagues. Some small players can, I don't see it in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad