News Article: Murray likely to step down after season, will pick his own successor

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Seriously, if Randy Lee gets it, look for the kid who moves the pylons in the parking lot to get promoted to Director of Scouting.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
They better not go from within. And for some reason I hope it's not Pierre McGuire.

Although he seems pretty smart. I wouldn't rule it out though for him to get an interview. He did with Montreal and another team after that. Pittsburgh?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm pretty confident it's going to be Shero

Ties with the team and also past experience as a GM: it allows Dorion and Lee to stay and work on what they are great at and it means our GM would have an established relationship with other GMs which matters a lot

I guess Shero could decline however, maybe there's another team with more spending power that wants him

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm pretty confident it's going to be Shero

Ties with the team and also past experience as a GM: it allows Dorion and Lee to stay and work on what they are great at and it means our GM would have an established relationship with other GMs which matters a lot

I guess Shero could decline however, maybe there's another team with more spending power that wants him

And Shero has a hockey pedigree! Remember Freddy?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If we're going with a retool instead of a rebuild, then Shero is the guy we want. His ability to make trades will be key in turning from mediocre to contender. When you don't have top 5 draft picks to get top talent, you do it via trades, which is what you do when retooling. I like what BM has done, but I consider trading not his strength, Shero can change that aspect.

Burke is better for this imo but he seems to like being a president.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
like i said hes been around 11 percent in his healthiest seasons if we exclude his best and worst.

Saying Vermette isnt a regular 20 goals scorer is being pretty picky... Hes projecting to be a 20 goal scorer this season and was in the lock out season i believe.

I said stillman was moderately better then eaves at that point in his career and going forward i'd rather have eaves then loses both. All the scouting reports on eaves say he has top 6 skill set. Heres one example http://www.examiner.com/article/scouting-the-detroit-red-wings-patrick-eaves

Heres what i know. The great goal scorer stillman had THREE goals. You're going so far to compare his play making ability to some of the greatest of the modern times in joe thornton and Sedin. He was NOT at that level. Eaves had a top 6 skill set. Vermette doesnt need to be spoon fed goal and YES hes a regular 20 goal scorer. Guess what he had 8 before coming to the sens and would never have one again. Its possible Carolina knew he was declining.

90 percent of Murray's interviews have him saying how much his goal scoring ability and cup rings would help us. Neither helped us AT ALL.

We know Vermette wasnt getting that many if any assists off of stillman goals because there were so few. Guess what my eye test told me he wasnt worth giving up corvo and eaves for especially after he left as a ufa.

You're present no argument that you havent aleady brought up. At this point you're refusing to drop it when its obvious we wont agree. Lets not derail this thread.

Eaves was actually a good two way player and is basically in the league still because his hockey sense and pk ability.

-Eaves around 11 shooting percentage...2 percent above the league average well playing crap minutes most his career and getting a few 12-13 goal shortened seasons due to injury

-Stillman did not come as advertised crapped the bed with zero goal scroing abilty in ottaea with a career worst shooting percentage after leaving ottawa he steadily declined
due to injuries

-vermette a guy who regularly scores 20 goal had a career year well playing 27 games with stillman. he scored 24 goals with at most 3 assists that can be directly linked to coming off stillman goals

-stillman and his stanley cup rings didnt help us at all in the playoffs. not blaming him but he didnt effect the team like murray hoped

Shall i go on?

Like i said to begin this whole discussion. The marginal upgrade of stillman over eaves was not worth the huge downgrade of corvo to commdore. As someone brought up Corvo was our best pmd that year.

Typed up a detailed response but it got scrapped by HF logging out.

In the end, I`m done. We clearly don`t see eye to eye on this but the mere fact that you beleive Stillman, a 20+ goal, 60+ point winger was a marginal upgrade on Eaves, a 32 pts career high with loads of PP time declining injury prone winger is mind boggling. Yes, he has a sh% 2% higher than league average when you remove every instance of him being lower than league average. Too bad that really is meaningless. The guy developed into a 2-way player after leaving Ottawa, not before btw, as he was forced to change his game when it became evident he wasn`t going to get top 6 mins.

ekarlsson65

Jan 11, 2015
Ottawa
haha they sure did, made a huge deal out of it too. People overvalue what these advanced stats actually contribute. They're like plus minus, kind of handy with context and can help paint a better picture in some cases.

Hockey isn't baseball.

As soon as these analytics hires came in, they signed Winnik, Booth, and Santorelli, and if it weren't for them, you'd have McLaren and Orr in your lineup (Randy obviously). Things aren't going so well in TO right now, agreeable, but to say analytics is overrated??? They had a flawed coaching system who was giving up 40 shots a night, and generating offense off hail mary passes that were the result of bank clears off the boards. Horachek comes in, and all of a sudden their shooting percentages and save percentages (PDO) drop significantly. Did they all of a sudden become the worst scoring team in hockey? Did Bernier all of a sudden become a siv? There's roster issues no doubt, guys like Bozak have been over-hyped for years. Horachek is trying to implement a new system on the go and it's taking time, it's going to take time to get the core guys to buy in and for the rest of the roster to be filled out. But to say they are "overvalued", you're just being naive, it's far more than just a simple "plus/minus". Go check out what Julien Brisebois did for the Hamilton Bulldogs, the Syracuse Crunch, and now helping Stevie Y in TB. You think the Stralman signing was Stevie's idea? please

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
As soon as these analytics hires came in, they signed Winnik, Booth, and Santorelli, and if it weren't for them, you'd have McLaren and Orr in your lineup (Randy obviously). Things aren't going so well in TO right now, agreeable, but to say analytics is overrated??? They had a flawed coaching system who was giving up 40 shots a night, and generating offense off hail mary passes that were the result of bank clears off the boards. Horachek comes in, and all of a sudden their shooting percentages and save percentages (PDO) drop significantly. Did they all of a sudden become the worst scoring team in hockey? Did Bernier all of a sudden become a siv? There's roster issues no doubt, guys like Bozak have been over-hyped for years. Horachek is trying to implement a new system on the go and it's taking time, it's going to take time to get the core guys to buy in and for the rest of the roster to be filled out. But to say they are "overvalued", you're just being naive, it's far more than just a simple "plus/minus". Go check out what Julien Brisebois did for the Hamilton Bulldogs, the Syracuse Crunch, and now helping Stevie Y in TB. You think the Stralman signing was Stevie's idea? please

I never said there isn't value, i just think that people put way too much stock into them. Analytics aren't the be all end all, and a keen eye can pick up most of what those stats will tell you anyway just by watching the games.

Tim Murray on advanced stats.

“They’re useful. I think, and I don’t want to talk down, but I think they’re very useful, the less you know about the game. And I think they’re useful to guys like me too a little bit, for sure. But if you don’t know what hockey sense is as a casual fan, I think they’re very useful. I think you see a guy that drives puck possession through numbers and it tells you a little bit that he has hockey sense. So I think the casual fan that doesn’t quite get what hockey sense is, and different things like that, I can understand totally why these are useful stats.â€

http://the6thsens.com/2014-articles/tim-murray-speaks-in-buffalo.html

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
If Shero comes in that would probably mean cameron is out right? Especially with Dan Bylsma still out there...

Melnyk loves Cameron so I can't see Shero getting hired unless Cameron is guaranteed to stay

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
If Shero comes in that would probably mean cameron is out right? Especially with Dan Bylsma still out there...

Melnyk loves Cameron so I can't see Shero getting hired unless Cameron is guaranteed to stay

Shero would be an excellent choice

Ray Shero would be a good choice IMO.

Why would Shero be a good choice? What did exactly did he accomplish in Pittsburgh other than get lucky with the draft lottery?
I mean, look how long he let Bylsma coach that team and accomplish nothing...

By all accounts once he was ousted there, the team was actually in complete disarray and it would appear the only thing he was actually good at was keeping that quiet.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would like to get a fresh voice from outside the organization. Don't really care who.

Like Proust said above, it really feels kinda odd the amount of in-house promotions this organization hands out. Lee going from an athletic trainer to nearly the top of the chain is just...odd. Nothing against Lee, as I really don't see the inner workings of the team enough to know what exactly he has done over the years and if he deserves to be where he is or not....but those are huge leaps. And even in Bingo, and with guys like Jason Smith who (as fr as I know) had no prior coaching experience to suddenly standing behind the Sens' bench...it may be the in-thing to have former player take up the coaching thing, but still....I'd rather see guys come in that already have some experience in coaching/administration/GM/management/etc before joining the Sens, instead of using our organization as the training ground.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
What this franchise needs is new ideas but if Murray picks his successor if its anything like his coach hires,it will not be someone from outside with strong ideas of their own, he will want to "mentor"him like he mentors the coaches. Also whoever comes in will have to know that the former GM /Coach will have a big say and that the present coach is the choice of the owner .

It would be a really great surprise if the new GM was really his own man from outside the Sens and the Murray family/friends circle and who was permitted to hire his own head coaches and have a free hand to implement his ideas .
Murray never hired 1 veteran coach. Always guys who would bow to him until he got to Mclean.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I would like to get a fresh voice from outside the organization. Don't really care who.

Like Proust said above, it really feels kinda odd the amount of in-house promotions this organization hands out. Lee going from an athletic trainer to nearly the top of the chain is just...odd. Nothing against Lee, as I really don't see the inner workings of the team enough to know what exactly he has done over the years and if he deserves to be where he is or not....but those are huge leaps. And even in Bingo, and with guys like Jason Smith who (as fr as I know) had no prior coaching experience to suddenly standing behind the Sens' bench...it may be the in-thing to have former player take up the coaching thing, but still....I'd rather see guys come in that already have some experience in coaching/administration/GM/management/etc before joining the Sens, instead of using our organization as the training ground.
You only learn so much having only worked in 1 organization. Having the chance to move around and work with different staffs gives you a better outlook on the job in general.

At least Shero worked here, Phoenix, and Pittsburgh. Plus the knowledge from his dad is another asset.

Tim Murray followed Bryan everywhere he worked but at least was in different environments.

Dorion and Lee owe Murray everything.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Paddock and Hartsburg were pretty veteran... I mean, Paddock had already even been an NHL GM a decade prior.

Well, to be fair (and Stefan can vouch) Paddock was the GM of the Jets while the team was on the verge of leaving Winnipeg. He was named GM as a cost-cutting measure because Barry Shenkarow didn't want to spend a dime before he sold the team to Phoenix.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Well, to be fair (and Stefan can vouch) Paddock was the GM of the Jets while the team was on the verge of leaving Winnipeg. He was named GM as a cost-cutting measure because Barry Shenkarow didn't want to spend a dime before he sold the team to Phoenix.

Sure, but experience is experience.

Paddock was 54 when he was hired, Hartsburg was almost 50. Both guys had been NHL coaches before coming to Ottawa. These aren't kids we're talking about.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Would be for Shero. Makes shrewd moves, something Murray lacked.

Had a bad draft record, but I'm not worried about that if Dorion and our main scouts stay.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

Yup, that is basically how it played out. It still gave him the experience though, which you get regardless of how you come into a job.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Paddock and Hartsburg were pretty veteran... I mean, Paddock had already even been an NHL GM a decade prior.
Both had been around for a while but as coaches not too successful.

Each team Hartsburg inherited got worse each season.

As for Paddock, he literally killed a conference champion in half a season.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Both had been around for a while but as coaches not too successful.

Each team Hartsburg inherited got worse each season.

As for Paddock, he literally killed a conference champion in half a season.

I'm not calling them good coaches or defending either of them, I'm just arguing the "they were not veterans" bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad