News Article: Murray likely to step down after season, will pick his own successor

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I would love to have Pierre Mcguire as a GM, he seems like a really good hockey mind, but gotta remember some potential GM's don't wanna mess around with budget teams.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I would love to have Pierre Mcguire as a GM, he seems like a really good hockey mind, but gotta remember some potential GM's don't wanna mess around with budget teams.

The last time Mcguire actually worked in the league he pissed off enough people that he hasn't had another job for 20 years.

Not the guy i want running the franchise I root for.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'd rather Pierre is the successor to Nonis in Toronto.

I wonder if he'd name drop during trade negotiations?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

tumblr_n7qdnxWjVm1rxl047o1_1280.png

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Would be for Shero. Makes shrewd moves, something Murray lacked.

Had a bad draft record, but I'm not worried about that if Dorion and our main scouts stay.

Again, still not seeing it... He let Bylsma coach entirely too long, never did anything about Fleury... Broke the bank on Crosby, Malkin Letang and Fleury... And never had any real supporting cast.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Again, still not seeing it... He let Bylsma coach entirely too long, never did anything about Fleury... Broke the bank on Crosby, Malkin Letang and Fleury... And never had any real supporting cast.

29 other gms would have broken the bank on Crosby and Malkin.
Hard to "do something" with the goalie that was spectacular and key in your Stanley cup run. And letang is very good. And he did get a supporting cast.

-He got Crosby two players that actually mesh well with him (whether they are good or not is another question)
-he traded goligoski for Neal and niskanen (no idea how he pulled that off)
- he got Derrick pouliot and brandon Sutter and doumulin (I think) for jordan staal.

He's a good gm not afraid to make the deal. I like that.

Who know a maybe he's a better gm without Crosby and Malkin. It's not easy to find players to play with them and you always have to keep them happy.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
If Shero comes in that would probably mean cameron is out right? Especially with Dan Bylsma still out there...

Melnyk loves Cameron so I can't see Shero getting hired unless Cameron is guaranteed to stay
Cameron is signed as head coach for 2 years after this year according to Scanlan. Melnyk is not going to pay 3 coaches as he is also paying Maclean for 2 years after this one there are not going to be any new coach hires for at least 2 years after this one. Cameron is his boy and the guy he wanted as coach all along so it will take a lot to move him,good news for those who think Cameron is a great coach.

Murray is tying to get someone to play alongside Bobby Ryan? I hope that is not true as that is our best line and a line with chemistry and I would hate to see them move out Zibby or Hoffman for payer X . Remember everyone thought Spezza and Ryan would be a great duo but they just didn't have chemistry.

Someone on Team 1200-maybe Gord Wilson. said that after the line was first put together Ryan said to him after the game that they were going to be a great line. . Of course at that time everyone was screaming at Maclean for not leaving Ryan with Turris on the "top line".

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Cameron is signed as head coach for 2 years after this year according to Scanlan. Melnyk is not going to pay 3 coaches as he is also paying Maclean for 2 years after this one there are not going to be any new coach hires for at least 2 years after this one. Cameron is his boy and the guy he wanted as coach all along so it will take a lot to move him,good news for those who think Cameron is a great coach.

Murray is tying to get someone to play alongside Bobby Ryan? I hope that is not true as that is our best line and a line with chemistry and I would hate to see them move out Zibby or Hoffman for payer X . Remember everyone thought Spezza and Ryan would be a great duo but they just didn't have chemistry.

Someone on Team 1200-maybe Gord Wilson. said that after the line was first put together Ryan said to him after the game that they were going to be a great line. . Of course at that time everyone was screaming at Maclean for not leaving Ryan with Turris on the "top line".

Not me, I said Bobby's line would be our 1# line before he did!

I'm hashtag 1!!!!!!!

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
BM put this team in a real good spot. Really bright future and installed a nice hard working culture.

I like where we're headed. We just need our young core guys like Zibanejad, Ceci, Cowen, Lehner, Hoffman, Stone to grow a little more.

We're set, and in a couple years from now is when that "successor" will have to pull off a couple of shrewd moves to put the team over the top.

I'm pretty optimistic.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Ya, god forbid he put together a perennial cup-contending team.

It can be argued (and basically just flat out said as fact) that Pittsburgh underachieved in the sense that they should have multiple cups, but that is still one more than we have, and they are still highly competitive. Now, how much of that is Shero and how much of that is sucking enough to get Malkin and being lucky enough to get Crosby, I'm not certain.

I'm a fan of Pierre so I think it would be awesome to see what he does with the team. I'd also enjoy HF exploding when he gets hired.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ya, god forbid he put together a perennial cup-contending team.

It can be argued (and basically just flat out said as fact) that Pittsburgh underachieved in the sense that they should have multiple cups, but that is still one more than we have, and they are still highly competitive. Now, how much of that is Shero and how much of that is sucking enough to get Malkin and being lucky enough to get Crosby, I'm not certain.

I'm a fan of Pierre so I think it would be awesome to see what he does with the team. I'd also enjoy HF exploding when he gets hired.

All the key pieces were already in place when she to got the job. Crosby, Malkin, fleury, letang, Gonchar, orpik.. That's all the hard to get pieces anyways.

What I will give shero credit for is finding good depth pieces on a budget (by which I mean with the limited cap space left after Crosby Malkin letang and fleury are paid). Not sure I'd argue he built a contender though, all the pieces were in place.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
I agree that BMGM has put the Sens in a terrific spot to succeed going forward. The team has some really good pieces in place, and they are mostly young:

G - Anderson, Lehner
D - Karlsson, Ceci, Cowen...(gotta re-sign Methot)
C - Turris, Zibanejad, Lazar, Pageau
RW - Ryan, Stone, Chiasson
LW - MacArthur, Hoffman

Prospects - Puempel, Prince, Englund, Wikstrand etc...

If I were the GM going into the trade deadline, I would do as much as I possibly could to get rid of the dead weight players who have contracts beyond this season - namely Phillips, Legwand, Neil, Greening, Michalek and even Smith. Those players almost count for $16 million on next year's salary cap...crazy. Moving out some of those pieces would also make it easier on the budget to re-sign one of the few top 4 d-men we have - Marc Methot.

I want the next GM to have NHL experience...and I want that person making the decisions heading into the trade deadline. The big criticism I have of Murray as GM is that he falls in love with his own players, and gives term to bottom 6 forwards and bottom pair d-men. Again - I think Murray has put this team in a good place to succeed moving forward, but I'd like the transition to a new GM happen sooner than later so that these key decisions can be made with an objective point of view.

I'd like to see Pierre McGuire get a GM job in the NHL...for any of the other 29 NHL teams.

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
All the key pieces were already in place when she to got the job. Crosby, Malkin, fleury, letang, Gonchar, orpik.. That's all the hard to get pieces anyways.

What I will give shero credit for is finding good depth pieces on a budget (by which I mean with the limited cap space left after Crosby Malkin letang and fleury are paid). Not sure I'd argue he built a contender though, all the pieces were in place.

It seems I was too ignorant to actually look up when he took over. I thought he was the GM before 06.. for some reason I always credited him with the lucky rabbit's foot to land the 2 big stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad