Post-Game Talk (GBU): Much needed Panther wrangling

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
The Panthers are annoying to play against. Not the worst thing to hear if you’re a fan of their team

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
G
Skinner - Pay him.
Reinhart. Took it up a notch tonight. One of his best games.
Tage. Itchy trigger finger.
Ullmark.
E-Rod was buzzing (aside from the blown tire)
All the D
Sobotka
Faceoffs
This team showing some real character without our talisman in the lineup.

B
Mitts was kind of invisible tonight.
Luongo
Refs

U
Yandle. What a POS.

When Jack and Zeus get back, here are the lines I'd like to see.

Skinny - Jack - Tommy Gun
Zeus - Larry - Rhino
ERod - Mitts - OK
Shears - Sobe - Pommer

McCabe - Risto
Scanner - Bogo
Dahlin - Pilut

Let's get some rest and come to Boston ready to WORK on Saturday.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Much of the talk has been about the offense and lack of depth there, but it is so incredibly refreshing to finally have a decent defense. I'm not scared with any of these guys on the ice, our top 7 can all skate and move the puck. Bogosian was flying tonight, really great to see. Dare I say he is looking pretty darn close to Nolan-era Bogo.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The Skinner Awesomeness is in full effect tonight, I don't get how Evander Kane is better when he never took over a game like that. Skinner is gonna get 7.5 to 8 which is fine, anymore and I think we regret it and I am a big Skinner fan.

Overall I am very happy with how the team played, this was a gratifying win against a good team in Florida but I hate Housley for the usage of players and this game didn't change that.

I am loving the way Thompson is developing, Luongo should have stopped his goal but then I realize just how quick his release his. I think with better linemates Thompson will be just fine, Sobotka had the puck die with him on almost every play and Sheary does Sheary things, sometimes hes on and then other times he leaves you scratching your head.

Mittlestadt relegated to the 4th line, come on buddy, you've disappointed me for far too long. Make me wrong for once on a player and prove to me you are our #2C. Housley needs to give him the video treatment that Thompson got, another reason why Housley is in my dog house. Why continue to allow the kid to not succeed and question his game.

Defense played rather well all night, can't complain over every mistake if the overall product was sufficient enough, the difference Pilut makes.

Positive Note: The New Year has started off good for the Sabres.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
pretend the 10 game streak and 4 of 15 combined together for a fairly normal 14-11 record, and then it doesn't seem so hard.

or use the real record of 14-7-4 over the last 25 games. (we're only 3 games under .500 over the last 15 games, not 7)

We need to stop pretending that "losses" in OT or the shootout are losses. Mathematically, they count as TIES. The NHL simply tricked the fans into thinking ties went away, when they made them more prevalent than prior to the "loser point". A game tied at the end of regulation is tied. You simply play a bonus game to get a win. Loser still keeps the regulation tie

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
:dunno::dunno::dunno:
So many times tonight Tage was creating something and Sobotka couldn't cash it in or complete the play. Okposo also looked like bad, that penalty was dumb and it could have cost us.

In other news Skinner is a god and if anyone is going to carry us out of this down-turn it will probably be him and our goal-tending (I still think they should start Ullmark more)
I thought Vlad was solid and Sheary kept shitting the bed

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Got a bit nervous when Florida made it 4-3. Good to see them hold on.

Tonight was a big test in my book. I was curious to see how this team would fare without their star center. Can definitely say this was a pleasant surprise, and 4 goals to boot. Not how I expected it to go. Glad they finally solved the Panthers/Luongo.

Larsson was all over the place. Solid efforts from Thompson, Skinner, Dahlin and Pilut. Not a whole lot of bad, but these players stuck out to me.

The Boston game will be interesting.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Hate the way this organization is handling its prospects. Mittelstadt gets to play with a bunch of corpses that need to retire, sure hes had his own blunders but playing with a bunch of bums isn't helping (Elie, Pominville, Okposo). Pilut has been AMAZING and constantly gets the least amount of ice time or scratched for no reason (Antipin 2.o). All our forward callups going back to last year get the 3rd/4th line treatment, Smith/Olofsson/Nylander will be 30 before they ever see a scoring line when our team lacks secondary scoring...

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
According to Harrington, they had only won 1 of their last 8 one-goal games since the winning streak. Hopefully we're out of the woods on the heavy regression :laugh:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
The Pilut/Antipin comparisons are pretty off base, I think. Sure Pilut has been a healthy scratch a couple of games, but the team's defensive depth, even ignoring Pilut, is far improved from last season. Aside from Dahlin, Bogosian's been healthy and Beaulieu hasn't been a complete tirefire. Last year Antipin was being scratched in favor of guys like Tennyson or Fedun or Falk or Gorges. Maybe it would be a more apt comparison if Pilut were being scratched so Hunwick could play, but so far that hasn't been happening.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
Hate the way this organization is handling its prospects. Mittelstadt gets to play with a bunch of corpses that need to retire, sure hes had his own blunders but playing with a bunch of bums isn't helping (Elie, Pominville, Okposo). Pilut has been AMAZING and constantly gets the least amount of ice time or scratched for no reason (Antipin 2.o). All our forward callups going back to last year get the 3rd/4th line treatment, Smith/Olofsson/Nylander will be 30 before they ever see a scoring line when our team lacks secondary scoring...

The team has shown they don't like putting inexperienced players into big roles right out of the gate. I don't think throwing the kids to the wolves rather than easing them into it is a recipe for long term success. Mitts was demoted because he's done almost nothing all season compared to what was expected of him.

Ever consider Pilut sees reduced ice time because he's never had to play so much hockey over the course of a season in his life? It's not something everyone can just adjust to no problem. Dahlin is showing signs of this in his play right now.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
The Pilut/Antipin comparisons are pretty off base, I think. Sure Pilut has been a healthy scratch a couple of games, but the team's defensive depth, even ignoring Pilut, is far improved from last season. Aside from Dahlin, Bogosian's been healthy and Beaulieu hasn't been a complete tirefire. Last year Antipin was being scratched in favor of guys like Tennyson or Fedun or Falk or Gorges. Maybe it would be a more apt comparison if Pilut were being scratched so Hunwick could play, but so far that hasn't been happening.

I'd say they are 100% on base. Yes, Antipin was bench for clowns like Tennyson. However, Pilut is a bonafide top 4. Only an insane coach would bench him for Beaulieu. Yes, Beaulieu is far better than last year. He's still not better than Pilut

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The team has shown they don't like putting inexperienced players into big roles right out of the gate. I don't think throwing the kids to the wolves rather than easing them into it is a recipe for long term success. Mitts was demoted because he's done almost nothing all season compared to what was expected of him.

Ever consider Pilut sees reduced ice time because he's never had to play so much hockey over the course of a season in his life? It's not something everyone can just adjust to no problem. Dahlin is showing signs of this in his play right now.
71 games played 16/17
74 games 17/18 21:46 avg icetime in 52 SHL games
Dahlin slowed down last year. Pilut didn’t.

Mitts needs to be on a scoring line or Rochester.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
We have a legit defense when healthy. f***, I haven't said that in 5 years. They played great last night. The entire team seemed to be playing as a unit.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
G: Sabres clogging passing lanes.
Disrupting the Panthers in the neutral zone and countering.

Clean game from the defense.

Who says Sam and Skinner can't play well away from Jack?

B: Okposo mishandling picks and turning them over

Mitts invisible

U: Refs again
Yandle over reacting again

Reactions: Fearnot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad