Post-Game Talk (GBU): Much needed Panther wrangling

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Pominville is cooked and useless. Let him sit for a couple weeks and maybe he can find something again.
He sat for a couple weeks already, with the Christmas break and his injury recovery. He's like a leftover casserole that's been in the fridge too long. Not gonna get better.

U : Sobotka lead the forwards in Ice time.
(and)

Sobotka played a hell of a game tonight

Sobotka over 20 mins and nobody made a peep about it. He played well.
I also thought Sobotka played well. Consistently, whenever I focused on him. I had a couple beers last night, so had to watch some DVR this AM. Didn't change my mind. I must have been fully lucid.

Much of the talk has been about the offense and lack of depth there, but it is so incredibly refreshing to finally have a decent defense. I'm not scared with any of these guys on the ice, our top 7 can all skate and move the puck. Bogosian was flying tonight, really great to see. Dare I say he is looking pretty darn close to Nolan-era Bogo.
He's flying, in particular from the center ice to the offensive faceoff circle. Really doing a good job of knowing when to push/pinch, and when to play if safer. No qualms about him playing another season at his cap hit if he can keep this level of play up.

I'd say they are 100% on base. Yes, Antipin was bench for clowns like Tennyson. However, Pilut is a bonafide top 4. Only an insane coach would bench him for Beaulieu. Yes, Beaulieu is far better than last year. He's still not better than Pilut
Agree. Should not shy away from giving Pilut minutes. As @Der Jaeger noted in another thread, pair Pilut with Risto, put McCabe with Bogo, and Beaulieu or Scandella with Dahlin.

71 games played 16/17
74 games 17/18 21:46 avg icetime in 52 SHL games
Dahlin slowed down last year. Pilut didn’t.

Mitts needs to be on a scoring line or Rochester.
Nice data, supports the above preference for Pilut over others.

I was at the game. And this is not a criticism of Tage's overall game - it was quite good and he was one of the only Sabres I actively wanted to have the puck.

But the guy has to learn that standing still with the puck (he does it in every single zone) will get you steamrolled and stripped far too many times in the NHL to ever be worth it. I have no idea how he always finds himself doing that, but it's not good. He stands there stickhandling, not moving, and swiveling around in circles until he loses it. Just move your feet around bud, I've never seen an NHL player do what you're doing
Worse was when he turned it over at the offensive blueline, and, with the puck going back against the Sabres, he takes 2 strides into the Panther zone to "stand up" the Panther with a useless check, putting himself further behind the recovery/backcheck, and rejoining the play from a flatfooted stance.

He has taken himself out of the game a few times this year with us. I don’t recall him being this dumb in past years.

I don’t think I have ever seen a defender go after a point shot that was well within play.

Don’t shoot high if Ekblad is on the ice!!!
Good thing Ekblad and Yandle never played with or against Alexei Zhitnik...

<snip>

Yeah I was pretty pissed there was no challenge from housley there, and just as pissed that our own broadcast crew didn't even know it was challengeable.
Is a non-goal challengeable?
Regardless, is it automatically reviewed by NHL in Toronto???

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Reviewable, yes. Should have been. First link i found:
RULE CHANGE: NHL Updates Coach's Challenge on Goaltender Interference

• (d) The standard for overturning the call in the event of a "NO GOAL" call on the ice is that the NHL Situation Room (which shall include a former referee in the Officiating Department in the decision-making process), after reviewing any and all available replays and consulting with the Referee who made the original call, determines that the goal on the ice should have been allowed because either: (i) there was no actual contact of any kind initiated by the attacking Player with the goalkeeper; or (ii) the attacking Player was pushed, shoved or fouled by a defending Player causing the attacking Player to come into contact with the goalkeeper; or (iii) the attacking Player's positioning within the crease did not impair the goalkeeper's ability to defend his goal and, in fact, had no discernible impact on the play.

Reactions: brian_griffin

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He sat for a couple weeks already, with the Christmas break and his injury recovery. He's like a leftover casserole that's been in the fridge too long. Not gonna get better.

(and)

I also thought Sobotka played well. Consistently, whenever I focused on him. I had a couple beers last night, so had to watch some DVR this AM. Didn't change my mind. I must have been fully lucid.

He's flying, in particular from the center ice to the offensive faceoff circle. Really doing a good job of knowing when to push/pinch, and when to play if safer. No qualms about him playing another season at his cap hit if he can keep this level of play up.

Agree. Should not shy away from giving Pilut minutes. As @Der Jaeger noted in another thread, pair Pilut with Risto, put McCabe with Bogo, and Beaulieu or Scandella with Dahlin.

Nice data, supports the above preference for Pilut over others.

Worse was when he turned it over at the offensive blueline, and, with the puck going back against the Sabres, he takes 2 strides into the Panther zone to "stand up" the Panther with a useless check, putting himself further behind the recovery/backcheck, and rejoining the play from a flatfooted stance.

Good thing Ekblad and Yandle never played with or against Alexei Zhitnik...

I’m pretty sure that Zhitnik hit the glass behind the net more in one game than youvsee in an entire season anymore.

Zhitnik should have been Gonchar, but for a laughable ability with shooting from the point.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Yeah I was pretty pissed there was no challenge from housley there, and just as pissed that our own broadcast crew didn't even know it was challengeable.

Exactly.... KO gets knocked off balance and (slightly) into Luongo by the Panthers D. And then Luongo deliberately lays on top of KO not allowing him to get up, hoping to get a whistle and a call.

And makes half hearted wave at the shot that goes into the net.

The replay made it obvious that KO didn't initiate anything. And Phil just stands there with his arms folded across his chest, chewing gum.......

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The disallowed goal was far more controversial, to me, than the purported non-call on the likely interference knocking down Dahlin without the puck in the Panther's D-zone which then led to the 2-on-1 break and 1st Panther goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->