Post-Game Talk (GBU): Much needed Panther wrangling

Nedo801

Jul 13, 2017
G: Think that no D really stands out is a good sign. From previous years it has been 1-6 that has been horrible.
Pilut - been saying all time that he should have more minutes and not have started in Rochester at all. Hes small but his reading of situations is fantastic.
Larsson - Winning faceoffs at such % makes game easier.
Sobotka - Never thought I would say that but he plays very well in PK, and had most icetime in Sabres without me screaming "Oh ffs my grandma skates faster!"

B: Seems like we are easy to be pushed around. Only Bogo that has a "dont you fken dare touch me or my team" attitude. I belive that we need more of that to compete in a potential playoff.

U: Panthers overreacting in alot of situations. They act like Sabres are bad guys and they are angels......quite far from truth.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
Was at the game and few thoughts.

I really like Erods hustle but he has no place on PP1 at all. I’d like to see them try to put Thompson in the Eichel position on PP1 even when Eichel is back, his shot is ridiculous.

Sobotka wasn’t a tire fire but in scrums or tight situations his hands seem to forget wtf they are doing and he fumbles a lot.

Mitts was just disappointing to me right now. Not sure what could change that but maybe play him on Eichels wing when he’s back and leave Reinhart, Skinner and Erod together.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Watched it via the NHLTV archive late last night. Panthers gave the Sabres way too much time and space and essentially offered Buffalo the type of game that they like to play. As a result the Sabres were comfortable (probably a poor choice of descriptor) out there and able to play their game.

Not taking away from Buffalo's effort. It was nice to see Sobatka's line be effective. Nice dangles from Sob, Thompson was very aggressive and assertive and Sheary played with intensity but was simply snakebitten.

I love Ullmark's play. I hope he elevates himself to #1 in due course.

Dahlin made so many subtle puck control moves that just had me shaking my head. What a talent!

I laughed when Bogo went into spin, turn and twist mode in his zone below the goaline in the 3rd period. He successfully controlled and protected the puck but man, it was like watching slow motion! He has a ton of NHL attributes but he's not a puck magician.

Can't say enough about Skinner. Loved him being in full pest mode. All those years in Carolina obviously resulting in some enmity when going against the Panthers.

Nice that scoring was distributed with Sam and Tage contributing.

Laughed when KO got called for goalie interference and Ray couldn't explain satisfactorily to RJ the reasons why. RJ goes "you are paid to know stuff". Rayzor: "No, I'm here because of my looks!" :laugh:

Florida is a cheap, cheap team. Yandle is a dickhead. Psysk was almost as bad. Ekblade can ef off........

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
or use the real record of 14-7-4 over the last 25 games. (we're only 3 games under .500 over the last 15 games, not 7)

We need to stop pretending that "losses" in OT or the shootout are losses. Mathematically, they count as TIES. The NHL simply tricked the fans into thinking ties went away, when they made them more prevalent than prior to the "loser point". A game tied at the end of regulation is tied. You simply play a bonus game to get a win. Loser still keeps the regulation tie
Sure. It was late and I didn't feel like going back and counting how many games were OT. The point stands - win 14 of 25, and some of the losses will undoubtedly be OTL, and that pace is not as scary to think about as a 10 game win streak.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I was at the game. And this is not a criticism of Tage's overall game - it was quite good and he was one of the only Sabres I actively wanted to have the puck.

But the guy has to learn that standing still with the puck (he does it in every single zone) will get you steamrolled and stripped far too many times in the NHL to ever be worth it. I have no idea how he always finds himself doing that, but it's not good. He stands there stickhandling, not moving, and swiveling around in circles until he loses it. Just move your feet around bud, I've never seen an NHL player do what you're doing

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Did we ever figure out why Yandle **** his pants over the Reinhart/Pilut goal?
I’m guessing it was an insanely irrational disliking of a head-high, full-force slapshot that he thought went off the head of his concussion-prone Dman teammate. It’s the kind of thing you get mad at in practice, when it’s your own teammate letting one go... never seen it in a game like that.

But it couldn’t be anything aside from that.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Did we ever figure out why Yandle **** his pants over the Reinhart/Pilut goal?
I kept saying "drop the puck...drop the puck" over and over because I assumed Yandle was screaming that Sam tipped it with a high stick and I didn't want the goal to get washed out. That's the way it looked live, I didn't see a close enough replay to know if that's what happened.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I kept saying "drop the puck...drop the puck" over and over because I assumed Yandle was screaming that Sam tipped it with a high stick and I didn't want the goal to get washed out. That's the way it looked live, I didn't see a close enough replay to know if that's what happened.
Seems like something yandle would do, but that doesn't explain why he went after Pilut though.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
It must be an age thing...these kids make it look so simple and i just can't do it, try as i may. So, if for no other reason, if i can't do it then neither should they :sarcasm:
I'm 23 so I don't think that's it.

I wouldn't even care about the Floss dance-off, if every single play stoppage and intermission outside of that dance-off wasn't also a barrage of kids Floss-dancing. I felt like I watched as many minutes of that as I did of Sabres/Panthers hockey.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I’m guessing it was an insanely irrational disliking of a head-high, full-force slapshot that he thought went off the head of his concussion-prone Dman teammate. It’s the kind of thing you get mad at in practice, when it’s your own teammate letting one go... never seen it in a game like that.

I think yours is the logical and likely correct answer. Anyone who'se played the game - even drop in's - has had to put up with a-holes who can't control their shot. And just love to take slappers from anywhere and not concern themselves with anyone else on the ice.

NHLers are supposed to be able to precisely place their shots and not have them get away from them. But its a game, not a practice so just shut the heck up Yandle.

Reactions: jBuds

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Might've thought Reinhart caught Ekblad with a high stick? Or maybe Yandle is just a whiny rat.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
That was my point, could have kept him over Elie.
poh-tay-toe, poh-tah-toe, both have speed and not much else in the toolbox. If anything, elie should be gone because he is too much like the guy(s) we have moved out.
I like a lot of botts' moves but the waiver wire doesn't seem to be his strong suit.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
His anger was at Pilut, though, not Reinhart. Looked like he was displeased with the shot to me.

He has taken himself out of the game a few times this year with us. I don’t recall him being this dumb in past years.

I don’t think I have ever seen a defender go after a point shot that was well within play.

Don’t shoot high if Ekblad is on the ice!!!

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
pretend the 10 game streak and 4 of 15 combined together for a fairly normal 14-11 record, and then it doesn't seem so hard.
Yes, that's correct. We probably won't have a 4-10 streak or whatever either.
We don't really know what the real sabres are at this point, if the 10 game win streak isn't representative of the real sabres, and the whatever since isn't representative of the real sabres either. I would argue combining them together is also not really representative, at least for predicting how the team will perform going forward in the short term - you wouldn't say that a team that won 10 in a row and then lost 10 in a row would be most likely to go 5-5 the next 10 games.

or use the real record of 14-7-4 over the last 25 games. (we're only 3 games under .500 over the last 15 games, not 7)

We need to stop pretending that "losses" in OT or the shootout are losses. Mathematically, they count as TIES. The NHL simply tricked the fans into thinking ties went away, when they made them more prevalent than prior to the "loser point". A game tied at the end of regulation is tied. You simply play a bonus game to get a win. Loser still keeps the regulation tie
But losses in OT or shootout ARE losses, and people put an unreasonable amount of significance on "NHL .500" or .500 pts % when W/L (regardless of type of loss) is a better at describing when a team is above or below average. For example, right now there are 23 teams at .500 pts% or above. But when looking at W/L, there are 15 teams at even W/L or better . So just looking at W/L is going to be a much better indicator of whether a team is going to make or miss the playoffs.

And the reason it works is that everybody gets ties. Last season the most OT/SO losses were 14 and the least was 5. But at the bubble of each conference, it's more like teams are within 3-4 OT/SO losses of each other.

Another way of looking at it: Last year just 3 teams with 41 wins or more missed the playoffs. Of those 3, only 1 (St. Louis) got beat out by a team with fewer wins. STL was 44-32-6 but COL got the wild card with 43-30-9. No team with fewer than 41 wins made the playoffs last year. TOR did in 16-17 with 40 wins and beat out NYI with 41 wins and TBL with 42 wins, but everyone else in the conference had 39 wins or fewer. MIN did in 15-16 with 38 wins (and 11 OT/SO losses) but the western conference wasn't great that year, only COL had more wins and missed the playoffs with 39, and everyone else who missed had 35 wins or fewer. Look at this years standings, if all you did was rank everybody by wins and use points as the tiebreaker, the only change you'd see would be that PIT and CBJ would swap 2/3 in the Metro, and a few of the teams at the bottom of the western conference would shuffle.

So in short, win/loss is what's important, OT/SO losses getting a point only really matters at maybe being the difference for 1 team a year getting in with 1 or 2 fewer wins than another 1 or 2 teams, and .500 doesn't really mean much of anything important at all.

Laughed when KO got called for goalie interference and Ray couldn't explain satisfactorily to RJ the reasons why. RJ goes "you are paid to know stuff". Rayzor: "No, I'm here because of my looks!" :laugh:
Yeah I was pretty pissed there was no challenge from housley there, and just as pissed that our own broadcast crew didn't even know it was challengeable.

Anyways, nice win last night. Lots of good and not a lot of bad.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I'm 23 so I don't think that's it.

I wouldn't even care about the Floss dance-off, if every single play stoppage and intermission outside of that dance-off wasn't also a barrage of kids Floss-dancing. I felt like I watched as many minutes of that as I did of Sabres/Panthers hockey.

I had no clue what the floss dance is, so I ran it through my google machine. First hit was "How to do the Floss Dance - a Parents Guide"

Enjoy

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
I had no clue what the floss dance is, so I ran it through my google machine. First hit was "How to do the Floss Dance - a Parents Guide"

Enjoy

My kid is too young to embarrass with this, but i bet this will mature like a fine wine and be that much more embarrassing when she is older. Thanks for this. I am gonna practice and prepare for that day. :laugh:

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Who says Sam and Skinner can't play well away from Jack?
Do we dare put Eichel on a new line away from those two when he returns ? Maybe that could be a way to spread out the scoring ?

Pilut - been saying all time that he should have more minutes and not have started in Rochester at all. Hes small but his reading of situations is fantastic.

B: Seems like we are easy to be pushed around. Only Bogo that has a "dont you fken dare touch me or my team" attitude. I belive that we need more of that to compete in a potential playoff.

When Murray got Bogo he said those are the type of players he wanted on his team (guys that are tough to play against)...I think Bogo is that type of player, and we definitely need guys like him who stand up for their teammates....I think this is the Bogo we all wanted.

We need more Pilut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad