MTS Centre Upgrades - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
That looks much better then before!

Can anyone else visualize how much better MTS would look if they accented everything in a bright white now instead of the beige? the place looks so clean and new, It's really starting to Look like an NHL calibre arena But the white would just finish it off. Look how great videotron centre looks with that color scheme

ir.ashx

Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Can anyone else visualize how much better MTS would look if they accented everything in a bright white now instead of the beige? the place looks so clean and new, It's really starting to Look like an NHL calibre arena But the white would just finish it off. Look how great videotron centre looks with that color scheme

MTSC needs more than a new colour scheme to look like an NHL caliber arena. MTSC is what you get when you start with a parcel of land that is too small, and tell the architect to make it fit.

eepruls

Jan 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

ir.ashx

I have always hated the beige! Oh, and the green section placards screwed on too. Looks horrible.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I have always hated the beige! Oh, and the green section placards screwed on too. Looks horrible.

Isn't the beige the acoustic panelling/covering? It probably can't be changed with a coat of paint.

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
MTSC needs more than a new colour scheme to look like an NHL caliber arena. MTSC is what you get when you start with a parcel of land that is too small, and tell the architect to make it fit.

So basically what you're saying is because it's missing a few thousand seats it's not NHL worthy?

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
So basically what you're saying is because it's missing a few thousand seats it's not NHL worthy?

I would just want a larger concourse so you don't have to wobble around like Emperor penguins, trying to sift your way to the lou.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I would just want a larger concourse so you don't have to wobble around like Emperor penguins, trying to sift your way to the lou.

Take over the sidewalks on the two sides, and expand the concourses on the 1st and 2nd levels. Easy-peasy. Get TNSE to do something for the downtown core to repay the city for allowing this.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

That's just part of it. More seats, bigger seats would be better. But the whole thing just screams Arena Design 101. The seating area is boring. Same all around, nothing interesting to break up the monotony. Cramped concourses, as has been mentioned. You look at other arenas, there's a wow factor. You look at ours... big meh. And on TV, it looks even sadder. As a ravenous hockey market, we deserved better. Some of you young-uns will see a bigger, better arena in your lifetime. I'm of an age where I know I won't. Well, unless we move to the west coast and become Canuck fans (shudder!).

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
That's just part of it. More seats, bigger seats would be better. But the whole thing just screams Arena Design 101. The seating area is boring. Same all around, nothing interesting to break up the monotony. Cramped concourses, as has been mentioned. You look at other arenas, there's a wow factor. You look at ours... big meh. And on TV, it looks even sadder. As a ravenous hockey market, we deserved better. Some of you young-uns will see a bigger, better arena in your lifetime. I'm of an age where I know I won't. Well, unless we move to the west coast and become Canuck fans (shudder!).

cramped concourses are a canada wide issue. You ever been to rogers arena? about the same room with 3000 more people, Bell centre and ACC also have very cramped concoures. hell edmonton (pre 2016) and calgary have it just as bad. The seating area isnt that boring. It's basically the same as any 2 bowl arena built from 1995-2005.

Would you rather have a 7000 seat arena at the forks like what was originally planned?

The old Eatons plot was the only other viable spot for an arena. So you could be watching the moose in a 10,000 seat MTS centre with wide seats and wide concourses and a flashy seating design but be grateful you're watching the jets in a cramped arena in the same spot. True north was a different company back then and i'm sure MTSC was more than they're wildest dreams when they started pursuing a new building in 1999. In 2030 when rumblings of a new arena start to appear (which they will) I'm sure they will do something special till then appreciate what that building has done for the city and the organization

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
cramped concourses are a canada wide issue. You ever been to rogers arena? about the same room with 3000 more people, Bell centre and ACC also have very cramped concoures. hell edmonton (pre 2016) and calgary have it just as bad. The seating area isnt that boring. It's basically the same as any 2 bowl arena built from 1995-2005.

Would you rather have a 7000 seat arena at the forks like what was originally planned?

The old Eatons plot was the only other viable spot for an arena. So you could be watching the moose in a 10,000 seat MTS centre with wide seats and wide concourses and a flashy seating design but be grateful you're watching the jets in a cramped arena in the same spot. True north was a different company back then and i'm sure MTSC was more than they're wildest dreams when they started pursuing a new building in 1999. In 2030 when rumblings of a new arena start to appear (which they will) I'm sure they will do something special till then appreciate what that building has done for the city and the organization

The arena being built on that old Eatons plot is the reason that we have NHL hockey in this city today. It spawned the business relationship between David Thomson and Mark Chipman.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/eatons-building-leaves-long-legacy.html

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Here's what I see as an NHL caliber arena. Built in 2005, so in the same general time frame as MTSC.

bok-center-tulsa-seating-chart-04-view-section-row-seat-oklahoma-city-thunder-ncaa-basketball-tournament-panorama-lower-upper-level-sky-boxes-high-resolution.jpg

You know who plays here? Our damn ECHL affiliate, the Tulsa Oilers! This pisses me off no end. You can say MTSC was the best we could do at the time under the circumstances, and yes we should be damn glad to have it and our Jets, but that doesn't make it NHL class.

I also think you're way off on your replacement schedule. The only rumblings we'll be hearing in 2030 are the stomachs of fans who've eaten a Jet Dog. This city does not refresh its infrastructure until it's crumbling and unsafe. Our stadium lasted 60 years. I don't believe we'll hear any talk of a new arena until 2050 or later, unless our billionaire Toronto sugar daddy decides to built us a new arena entirely from his own funds.

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
The arena being built on that old Eatons plot is the reason that we have NHL hockey in this city today. It spawned the business relationship between David Thomson and Mark Chipman.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/eatons-building-leaves-long-legacy.html

Exactly, I'm sure true north wasn't planning on building a 130M dollar arena originally. I'm guessing they had 40M dollars to spend and were hoping between the city and province they could get a 7000 seater built, Thompsons partnership opened up not only the plot of land but im sure a larger budget. So from there they had 2 choices with that land. Build a Cadillac 10,000 seat AHL arena and run the moose at a very profitable rate or build a bare bones 15,000 seat arena that can be brought up to NHL standards. Basically without the cramped MTS centre there would be no jets

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
Here's what I see as an NHL caliber arena. Built in 2005, so in the same general time frame as MTSC.

bok-center-tulsa-seating-chart-04-view-section-row-seat-oklahoma-city-thunder-ncaa-basketball-tournament-panorama-lower-upper-level-sky-boxes-high-resolution.jpg

You know who plays here? Our damn ECHL affiliate, the Tulsa Oilers! This pisses me off no end. You can say MTSC was the best we could do at the time under the circumstances, and yes we should be damn glad to have it and our Jets, but that doesn't make it NHL class.

I also think you're way off on your replacement schedule. The only rumblings we'll be hearing in 2030 are the stomachs of fans who've eaten a Jet Dog. This city does not refresh its infrastructure until it's crumbling and unsafe. Our stadium lasted 60 years. I don't believe we'll hear any talk of a new arena until 2050 or later, unless our billionaire Toronto sugar daddy decides to built us a new arena entirely from his own funds.

You're comparing a 196 million dollar arena that if put on an NHL stage would outshine a majority of current NHL arenas to a 130M arena designed to host an AHL team. MTSC is very simular to Rogers arena in Vancouver, TD gardens in Boston, SAP Center in San Jose minus 2500 seats. I'm not sure what your problem is

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
You're comparing a 196 million dollar arena that if put on an NHL stage would outshine a majority of current NHL arenas to a 130M arena designed to host an AHL team. MTSC is very simular to Rogers arena in Vancouver, TD gardens in Boston, SAP Center in San Jose minus 2500 seats. I'm not sure what your problem is

First, let's not so casually dismiss 2500 seats. Let's look at your examples.

Rogers Arena:
rogers-arena-vancouver-seating-chart-04-view-level-suite-champions-loge-vip-box-legends-super-studio-lounge-club-stadium-interior-area-arrangement-high-resolution.jpg

TD Garden:
td-garden-boston-seating-chart-06-view-section-row-seat-celtics-stadium-setup-image-interior-area-arrangement-high-resolution.jpg

SAP Center:
sap-center-san-jose-seating-chart-06-view-section-row-seat-sharks-hockey-virtual-interactive-arrangement-club-lower-upper-level-penthouse-high-resolution.jpg

MTS Center:
mts-centre2.jpg

One thing that stands out for me is the visual interest created by what the other arenas have above the upper bowl. Ours just sort of dies there.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Exactly, I'm sure true north wasn't planning on building a 130M dollar arena originally. I'm guessing they had 40M dollars to spend and were hoping between the city and province they could get a 7000 seater built, Thompsons partnership opened up not only the plot of land but im sure a larger budget. So from there they had 2 choices with that land. Build a Cadillac 10,000 seat AHL arena and run the moose at a very profitable rate or build a bare bones 15,000 seat arena that can be brought up to NHL standards. Basically without the cramped MTS centre there would be no jets

TNSE was actually planning on building a $90 million arena seating 11 - 12,000 but were convinced by mayor Murray and Premier Doer to build a 15,000 seat arena thanks to funding from the province and the city with a little help from the feds. There was never a plan to spend only $40 million on a 7 - 10,000 seat arena.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
One thing that stands out for me is the visual interest created by what the other arenas have above the upper bowl. Ours just sort of dies there.

Perhaps I am in the minority but I could care less about the optics of the 300 and 400 levels, sky boxes etc... I am actually in the building to look downwards to view what is taking place on the ice surface.:)

When at the game I do not find myself yearning for some view looking skywards at other fans. Nor do I see much camera work during any NHL games focusing on the optics of these levels. If there was something to see up there I am pretty sure the networks would spend more time showing it to viewers rather than wasting time showing the game.

An arena affecianado I am not. A hockey fan I am.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Perhaps I am in the minority but I could care less about the optics of the 300 and 400 levels, sky boxes etc... I am actually in the building to look downwards to view what is taking place on the ice surface.:)

When at the game I do not find myself yearning for some view looking skywards at other fans. Nor do I see much camera work during any NHL games focusing on the optics of these levels. If there was something to see up there I am pretty sure the networks would spend more time showing it to viewers rather than wasting time showing the game.

An arena affecianado I am not. A hockey fan I am.

Fair enough, but I want the total experience. When there is nothing happening on the ice, I want to be able to look around and be captivated by the grandeur of the venue. Maybe I'm the one in the minority.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
TrueNorth is pumping Millions every off season into the MTSCenter...
The only real issue I have is the Concorse ... I would love an expanded area..but that is major bucks...
Perhaps TN security could tell those that love to linger in groups in the middle of the concourse to stick to the sides? Really bungs things up

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
TNSE was actually planning on building a $90 million arena seating 11 - 12,000 but were convinced by mayor Murray and Premier Doer to build a 15,000 seat arena thanks to funding from the province and the city with a little help from the feds. There was never a plan to spend only $40 million on a 7 - 10,000 seat arena.

This is a popular misconception - I don't know where it started but it sure seems to have legs.

True North had envisioned an arena of 11-12,000 only until the IHL / AHL merger. It wasn't Murray or Doer who changed their thinking. It was True North's meeting with Gary Bettman during the IHL / AHL merger talks that caused True North to take a decidedly different approach.

I've often wondered if it was Doer and Murray's political machines that put out the story that they were responsible for the 15000 arena. It was a politically astute move if it was. But it's not accurate.

m.

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
What I'm saying is that in 2001 or whatever I'm sure true north only had 40M (regardless of pricetag) to bring to the table. I'm sure MTSC was an ambitious project from what they originally had in mind

Last edited:

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
First, let's not so casually dismiss 2500 seats.

Okay fair enough but I have a feeling this will be changed I no time. Clone the press box. open up a few more sections up where the organ is going. Done

BobEssensa

Jun 16, 2011
I can confirm that the secret project is in fact, an organ. Should definitely add to the atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad