MTS Centre Upgrades - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Well to be fair the original fellow hasn't illustrated which 'capitalistic policies' he's objecting to. It might just be beer prices but the tone suggests a more philosophical grievance.

Back to the subject at hand: There's been a LOT of upgrades at MTS since 2011. Extended press box, restrooms, loge seating, scoreboard, sound system, seat replacement. I'm not sure how much more there is that they could do.

From my perspective the biggest problems remain in place and remain unsolvable. The seats are tight and there's gridlock in the concourses during intermission. Those problems aren't going away. Given that, I'm curious what the next round up MTS Centre upgrades will be.

m.

I think the only way they can expand the square footage of the arena would be to add space at the very top of the 300 bowl which appears to be possible when you look at Bird's Eye views of the arena; the seating bowl does not extend to the perimeter walls of the actual arena so there would be room for some additional space. Having said that, it would probably not be very practical.

I think any upgrades to the seating areas will be set aside for high-end options such as club seating/skyboxes below the trestles opposite the pressbox. TNSE only has a limited concern with the ROI on this potential project in additional to all the past projects completed at MTS Centre as these have been funded by the annual $6 million subsidy from the VLTs in the district. Remember this was part of their agreement with the province and city when the Jets came back - the income derived from the VLTs in the SHED had to be reinvested in the MTS Centre.

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
Adding those bars in the corners could only help with the congestion in the concourse. People hanging out in there instead of in the concourse itself. Although I am not sure what else they could do I wouldn't be too surprised if there are further improvements to that.

More concourse space could be added in the 300's by better utilization of the main atrium which today is just useless open air space. They actually did it once I'm not sure why they didn't continue this trend, I would rather see the ceiling of more concourse space in that main atrium then a big empty hall. Even if they just built out to the width of the stairs leading up to the 300's you could pull a ton of people out of the 300's concourse a have 2 more bars.

5573351.jpg

Last edited:

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
Not much else to add other than the section of new grey seats in section 329 for the True North logo. Pretty neat to see in the empty MTS Centre...obviously won't translate when people are in the seats.

True north logo in the seats?

This?
TrueNorthlogo.jpg

images

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
Outdoor rooftop access for smokers?

That is exactly the corner where 315 is located. Across the street from the Tavern rooftop patio! Perhaps they'll be connecting it to TN Square somehow. Either way, a coveted corner of the upper bowl to be in if there's some surprise going on there.

Also, on the topic of the lack of fanfare and advertisement of this update, perhaps it's because it won't really be completed until next off season when they'll officially announce it? :sarcasm:

They built the organ room in 315 because they could build a floor up to it. Ive always envisioned them making mini suite loge type seating this same way. basically smashing out the walls from 310-317 and 301-325 and building 4 foot deep rooms with stool type seats and a rail. You would have to remove 2 seats for every entrance But you could have 6-8 loge seats per room. Then you clone the press box with more seats weather it be loge or general seating you could have a 16,000 seat MTS centre

Winnipeg-Jets-MTS-Centre-Seating-Chart.jpg

Rogers arena sort of did the same thing although i'm pretty sure they did suites or a club? look at the upper corner

4788243884_7fe20bc370.jpg

ton of room to do this too. They could potentially do this the full bowl. They would have to somehow cantilever over the edge but it's doable

1297630443863_ORIGINAL.jpg

But on the ends it's just a matter of knocking down walls and building up a floor, roof and walls. Hell they have the room to build a club up there

1297630443835_ORIGINAL.jpg

Last edited:

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
This is our (my brother and I) second time on the wait list and this year we're up 263 spots from 1615 to 1352.

It will be perfect, in about 10 years, when our kids are teenagers, we'll be able to get some extra tickets to allow them to go on a regular basis as well.

On the topic of the mystery MTS Centre renovation, as much as I believe it could be extra seating of some kind, the fact that it seems to only be in one corner leads me to believe that it has more to do with future direct access/connection to True North square than anything else.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Thanks for the update.

I'm not sure why we need an organ player.

Actual organist are way way better than the prerecorded mp3 organ music they cycle through now. A real organ player can feed off the crowd, adjust what they're playing based on the situation, and play games with the crowd to get cheers and responses. Sure, it's a bit old fashioned, but there's a reason most teams in the league have them. They're fun!

Not that the organ should replace all other music, but a real organist will be so much better! I'm excited by this news if it's true. :yo:

Last edited:

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
That section in Rogers Arena is called club 500 and is a nightclub-type seating area. I've been during the day (friend worked for the nucks) but not during a game.

I'd like to know more about this true north logo.

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
Sorry that I wasn't clear enough in my other post.

In the Winnipeg Jets logo, there's the "True North" compass point at the top of the circle. So for the one section (329) they made all of the seats grey to make it look like compass point in the Jets logo.

should have snapped a pic!

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
This is our (my brother and I) second time on the wait list and this year we're up 263 spots from 1615 to 1352.

It will be perfect, in about 10 years, when our kids are teenagers, we'll be able to get some extra tickets to allow them to go on a regular basis as well.

On the topic of the mystery MTS Centre renovation, as much as I believe it could be extra seating of some kind, the fact that it seems to only be in one corner leads me to believe that it has more to do with future direct access/connection to True North square than anything else.

Why? Why wouldn't they just make access through the 300's concourse? Theirs a big glass window they could open up. Why would they cut a hole in the arena bowl to lead people through a roof and down an already packed isle for a project 3 years from completion when true north square is already slated to be connected to the sky walk system?

If it was seating they would be marketing them

it's an organ :shakehead

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
All good points.

It does seem a little early to want to move STH out of seats now to make a walkway to TN Square via an unattractive concrete staircase.

I agree with the additional seating point, if it was really taht they'd be selling and marketing that like crazy.

Live organ player it is! I'd like to see/hear that, bring back a little bit of an old school vibe.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I have convos with many people. Lots say Ill wait till they are winning. That's my point.

Anyway, Im done derailing the thread, sorry mods for going OT.

Thanks! We're very, very OT at this point, and I think everyone's had a chance to have their say.

Let's get back to discussion of the MTS Centre itself. If you want to discuss attendance, feel free to create another thread to continue the conversation.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
So, how about those upgrades, eh? Seats looking good, big hole for an organist. Hope we get in-seat service in the loges soon. This having to get up and walk to the concessions is getting old real fast. ;)

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
If someone wants to create a thread about attendance, etc, I'll move posts from this thread over there, including the ones that disappeared after my note to try to get back on topic. I'd do it myself right now, but I'm on a phone and worried I'll set HFJets on fire if I try. ;)

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
So, how about those upgrades, eh? Seats looking good, big hole for an organist. Hope we get in-seat service in the loges soon. This having to get up and walk to the concessions is getting old real fast. ;)

[mod]

Hockey season can't come fast enough. Bring on the new organist!

Last edited by a moderator:

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
Does anyone have access to MTSC? I would love to see the seats I haqte waiting till late spt to see the upgrades. Really curious about the new seemless glass

1430MaroonsRoad

Sep 14, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Does anyone have access to MTSC? I would love to see the seats I haqte waiting till late spt to see the upgrades. Really curious about the new seemless glass

I've been checking Reddit daily to see if there were any updates. Last year, I believe the first picture or two of the new scoreboard all lit up surfaced on there. No such luck this time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille