MTS Centre Upgrades - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
On the contrary. I think people that most people that sit in the Loge do so in order to be able to get the best vantage point of the whole ice surface. I know I do!
It was a very, very subtle dig, understood by only a select few.....

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the current arena has the appropriate seating capacity. People are already saying they are dropping their season tickets as they can buy just the games they want at a similar cost. And this is during a time when the Jet's are near the top of the league standings. I'd say that if they did have more capacity, they'd have to put them in at a new lower price level (less that current P7). While I would love wider corridors, that doesn't justify a new building.

You're right on the money mondo3. The last thing the Jets need is a building that is too large. No way in the world do we need 20,000 seats. If another arena is to be built some time down the road, the main focus should be on constructing one with the spectator in mind. There should be ample leg room and wider seats for starters. Also, they should ensure the sightlines are good from all seats.

In regards to the seating capacity, I think 15,000 works just fine for Winnipeg as it helps to ensure there is a demand for tickets by limiting the supply. As some have stated, we probably won't see a new arena in Winnipeg for a long time. Hopefully TNSE will continue to work on improving the fan experience and making the necessary upgrades to Bell MTS Place until a new facility is actually needed.

:jets

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
Don't think any of us older folks will ever step foot in a new arena by the time it is built, which wont be anytime soon, bigger isn't always bigger and the one we have atm is perfect for a city this size and serves the purpose of the current owners, and what they are doing around that building.
I am a Sask Jets booster. For reference I have been to the new Roger's which is awesome. (Jets whooped Oil 5 zip on NYE)
the Phoenix rink once which is real nice.
Bell Centre awesome rink (GSP whooped Matt Serra no Hockey unfortunately).
Saddle a few times it's old but it has charm (used to live there).

MTS kicks ass. My favorite out of all of them. So intimate yet it's all top notch and feels high quality. The Concourse is more than adequate. I've never been at a standstill other than drink lines. The score clock is ok, the big screen looks awesome. The rink does lack some of the fizzle and flash of the Knights or the Oil barns. But that is all secondary to Hockey. And most of the fans at MTS know Hockey and that adds to the atmosphere IMO.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I am a Sask Jets booster. For reference I have been to the new Roger's which is awesome. (Jets whooped Oil 5 zip on NYE)
the Phoenix rink once which is real nice.
Bell Centre awesome rink (GSP whooped Matt Serra no Hockey unfortunately).
Saddle a few times it's old but it has charm (used to live there).

MTS kicks ass. My favorite out of all of them. So intimate yet it's all top notch and feels high quality. The Concourse is more than adequate. I've never been at a standstill other than drink lines. The score clock is ok, the big screen looks awesome. The rink does lack some of the fizzle and flash of the Knights or the Oil barns. But that is all secondary to Hockey. And most of the fans at MTS know Hockey and that adds to the atmosphere IMO.
Yeah MTS is pretty great. And you can't beat the location. It's about a thousand light-years ahead of the old Winnipeg Arena which had terrible sightlines, Himalayan staircases, a 4 x 6 pixel resolution scoreboard, the worst concessions ever envisioned (I'm pretty sure Winnipeg Enterprises will be running the concessions in Hell when I get there), zero options to park indoors in the winter and leave your jacket in the car, traffic congestion after games...there was that picture of the Queen though!

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

1stDan

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah MTS is pretty great. And you can't beat the location. It's about a thousand light-years ahead of the old Winnipeg Arena which had terrible sightlines, Himalayan staircases, a 4 x 6 pixel resolution scoreboard, the worst concessions ever envisioned (I'm pretty sure Winnipeg Enterprises will be running the concessions in Hell when I get there), zero options to park indoors in the winter and leave your jacket in the car, traffic congestion after games...there was that picture of the Queen though!
I was only at one game in the old place. I was like 9 years old. Upper level, I remember being scared of falling down the steep stairs.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I was only at one game in the old place. I was like 9 years old. Upper level, I remember being scared of falling down the steep stairs.
I couldn't even take my dad to games in the upper deck when he was in his 60s because of those steep stairs.

giphy.gif

Not that he was in a wheelchair, but this was the fear...

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

:laugh: And the trough. Don't forget the trough. :laugh:

The old barn did have character.

BMTSP is better - a lot better. But it has serious flaws that can't readily be fixed within its current footprint.

The seating capacity is tricky. It could use more, but not too much more. The limited supply has its upside. It could certainly use more room per seat and the common areas could be a lot better.

But where it really gets tricky is that people are changing the way they watch sports. All the games are now available on some form of TV and that can be taken with you almost anywhere. By the time Winnipeg gets a new arena they may need fewer seats, not more.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Back in the early 90s, I was a DJ for Road Show Sound and Lights, and we got the contract for playing the music for Jets games. This was pre CD's, everything was tape, which made it extremely hard to key up a song.

My first couple of times playing there, I got caught watching the game, and when there was a stoppage, I was scrambling to get a song on. The worst part was if there was a quick whistle and you didn't have your next song ready to go. That or when they would call up to the booth to play a contest song, like the bird dance, and wanted it to go in the next minute or two.

I got to play several games throughout the contract, but the one I remember most was a Saturday, Hockey Night in Canada game against the Habs. During the game, I was preoccupied in the booth, while the play had stopped, and when they dropped the puck, I didnt kill the song that was playing, for almost 20 seconds after puck drop. This was a finable offense, I believe the team could be fined $5grand for this type of infraction.

The phone rang in the booth, and I had a strip torn off me, but thankfully no fine from the NHL.

I had the game on VHS tape, with the puck being dropped and the music still going, and Bob Cole saying, "hmm someone forgot to kill the music, oh there it is."

Best part of the gig, I got to press the button for the horn after a goal.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Back in the early 90s, I was a DJ for Road Show Sound and Lights, and we got the contract for playing the music for Jets games. This was pre CD's, everything was tape, which made it extremely hard to key up a song.

My first couple of times playing there, I got caught watching the game, and when there was a stoppage, I was scrambling to get a song on. The worst part was if there was a quick whistle and you didn't have your next song ready to go. That or when they would call up to the booth to play a contest song, like the bird dance, and wanted it to go in the next minute or two.

I got to play several games throughout the contract, but the one I remember most was a Saturday, Hockey Night in Canada game against the Habs. During the game, I was preoccupied in the booth, while the play had stopped, and when they dropped the puck, I didnt kill the song that was playing, for almost 20 seconds after puck drop. This was a finable offense, I believe the team could be fined $5grand for this type of infraction.

The phone rang in the booth, and I had a strip torn off me, but thankfully no fine from the NHL.

I had the game on VHS tape, with the puck being dropped and the music still going, and Bob Cole saying, "hmm someone forgot to kill the music, oh there it is."

If I had the horn goal button last season, I would’ve pressed it every time Hendgrits got off the ice.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Ok that is a good story!

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Yep those that never went to a Jets (or Bombers) game have no idea how bad concessions were with Wpg Enterprises... I remember walking up The Matterhorn to my seat only to find a cold raw hotdog in s moldy bun... and a luke warm flat fountain coke... it was pretty bad

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
My wife worked at the old Winnipeg Arena....The secret recipe for the world famous hot dogs they sold...Throw frozen hot dogs in plastic bucket....pour boiling water into pail....wait 1o minutes...pull them out into warming wrack....and wallah.... serve to customer.

Don't ask what they did with the unsold hot dogs at the end of the game :laugh:

Reactions: Cellee

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
I don't know guys and gals ... the food and beer at MTS is still pretty crap and probably 500% more expensive even accounting for inflation. It'll always be theater food anyway.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
My wife worked at the old Winnipeg Arena....The secret recipe for the world famous hot dogs they sold...Throw frozen hot dogs in plastic bucket....pour boiling water into pail....wait 1o minutes...pull them out into warming wrack....and wallah.... serve to customer.

Don't ask what they did with the unsold hot dogs at the end of the game :laugh:
The Metrodome stole that business plan. :laugh:

Last edited:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Can I "like" this more than once?
I’m still laughing, LOL! I keep imagining what it would actually be like if somebody pressed the goal horn every time Hendricks gets off the ice...there would be mass confusion and chaos until they realize they’re being trolled. LMAO!

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I don't know guys and gals ... the food and beer at MTS is still pretty crap and probably 500% more expensive even accounting for inflation. It'll always be theater food anyway.

The Pangoa bowl from Freshii washed down with a Goose Island IPA says you're wrong. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad