Confirmed with Link: MTL/WSH/CHI Lars Eller for two 2nd round picks. Two 2nd round picks for Andrew Shaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Rest assure if another team got him, the whiners would've complained that Bergevin is asleep at the wheel, how he's chicken.....now he makes a move and they just find something else to complain about, it's Groundhog Day on a skipping record

Exatly. Imagine instead of saying MTL Bettmen said Toronto or Boston or Ottawa. The post on this board would be BarginBin this, Bougerien that.

Would you rather have taken TT with Bickells cap dump and losing a 2nd and 3rd or Shaw and losing 2 2nds? I would take Shaw at the asking price.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Exatly. Imagine instead of saying MTL Bettmen said Toronto or Boston or Ottawa. The post on this board would be BarginBin this, Bougerien that.

Would you rather have taken TT with Bickells cap dump and losing a 2nd and 3rd or Shaw and losing 2 2nds? I would take Shaw at the asking price.
You two are now patting your backs on hypothetical scenarios?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
No...it's just too much to give TWO 2nds to Bergevin's former buddies.

Eller went for 2 2nds and he is older than Shaw and has no cups.

Would it have been better for MB to walk away from the trade over a 2nd round pick?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The only groundhog day or skipping record is the lack of the GM making a tangible improvement to the roster in year 5 (!) of his tenure.

I don't see anyone complaining about Shaw as a player. He's fine. But he doesn't fill an urgent need in any way, shape or form. He's a complimentary piece when added to an otherwise complete roster, a la Blackhawks.

Our roster is so far from balanced that the addition of Shaw is a moot point. It's like giving a paint job to a car with no engine. Backwards thinking.

So lets wait till October before the complaints come out. MB has already showed he is looking to make moves by getting Shaw. He still has lots of cap space so there has to be another move coming up.

And most are complaining about Shaw, or the fact that we gave 2 2nds even though we got those 2nds back anyways. Shaw vs Eller, I chose Shaw. Younger and 2 cup rings. Shaw also has scored 20 while Eller has never gotten that. Shaw can still improve he is only 24. Eller is what he is. Unless he is playing with Ovie next year I don't see him getting more than his 15 or so goals.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
You two are now patting your backs on hypothetical scenarios?

Pretty much happens every time on this board. Any time a player is traded its see look MB is doing nothing and everyone is doing something. So it may be a hypothetical but I have no doubt in my mind those posts would be there.

When TT was traded those post came in and there was no way we were going to take Bickel in a cap dump. Yet still posts on this board about Bargainbin and Bougerien.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Eller went for 2 2nds and he is older than Shaw and has no cups.

Would it have been better for MB to walk away from the trade over a 2nd round pick?

What?
Shaw won 2 cup by himself....of course Kane, Toews, Crawford, Doughty aren't that important. Come on, that's a lame comparaison...Gomez has won the cup too....so was Briere...I think DSP got a ring too...Dustin Brown Also...Hell, let's called Vinny Lecavalier, he won it..Is Gionta is available, he won a cup.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I'm okay with getting Shaw even though I think the price was a little high... But would we then be able to go after Stamkos and Okposo type players? We need 2 top 6 players and unless we unload one or two guys, not sure how MB is going to get it done...

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Pretty much happens every time on this board. Any time a player is traded its see look MB is doing nothing and everyone is doing something. So it may be a hypothetical but I have no doubt in my mind those posts would be there.

When TT was traded those post came in and there was no way we were going to take Bickel in a cap dump. Yet still posts on this board about Bargainbin and Bougerien.

I would've take TT + Bickel for lesser pick than Shaw...
They both won cup you know....

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
So is MB going to spit in Gallagher's face and sign Shaw for more money? That'll leave a steaming turd of a contract for his replacement to clean up down the road..

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
What?
Shaw won 2 cup by himself....of course Kane, Toews, Crawford, Doughty aren't that important. Come on, that's a lame comparaison...Gomez has won the cup too....so was Briere...I think DSP got a ring too...Dustin Brown Also...Hell, let's called Vinny Lecavalier, he won it..Is Gionta is available, he won a cup.

Does it change the fact that Shaw has 2 rings? Nope.

We have no one on our team with a ring. It was missing last year and would of been missing this year as well. Not the top need, but we needed a player who has won the cup before.

I am not saying he was the player who lead the team to the cup (though if you ask CHI fans they will say Shaw was a contributor) but he has won it all twice which is very important experience.

Other advantage of Shaw is he has 2 rings and he is only 24, not some old over the hill vet that only brings "leadership". At least Shaw still has game and has potential to improve.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
What?

Did you know the 93 cup run was due to Ed Ronan and the big hit he threw in LA? Winner

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I would've take TT + Bickel for lesser pick than Shaw...
They both won cup you know....

I like TT and if Bickel wasn't attached or they would of taken Eller/DD I would do that trade. But Bickel as a dump was a no go.

And TT is more talented with more potential, but up till now Shaw has proven more at the NHL level than TT. TT is younger so he still has time buy his career high is 15G. And he benefits just as much as playing with an amazing Chicago team as Shaw does.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Did you know the 93 cup run was due to Ed Ronan and the big hit he threw in LA? Winner

Its easy to diminish another players accomplishments. Shaw has 2 cup rings and the experience that comes along with it. He was also a contributor on those runs.

Was he the driving force of course not, but the fact that he has been through 2 very long playoff runs is a big plus and something that this team was missing.

If you don't think that cup experience is important than there isn't much else for us to talk about.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

Look. At. The. Disease. Not. The. Symptoms.

If management were acceptable, you wouldn't see much noise - but this year it has come to a head and fans are rightfully ticked off and sensitive to other GMs making moves.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
So lets wait till October before the complaints come out. MB has already showed he is looking to make moves by getting Shaw. He still has lots of cap space so there has to be another move coming up.

And most are complaining about Shaw, or the fact that we gave 2 2nds even though we got those 2nds back anyways. Shaw vs Eller, I chose Shaw. Younger and 2 cup rings. Shaw also has scored 20 while Eller has never gotten that. Shaw can still improve he is only 24. Eller is what he is. Unless he is playing with Ovie next year I don't see him getting more than his 15 or so goals.

History tells us that we needn't wait until October. We've waited until October every year since MB took over and it's been the same thing over and over.

Two 2nds was a high, not astronomical, price to pay for a guy who the Blackhawks had no chance in retaining. And to be clear the two 2nds from WSH will almost certainly be lower than our lost picks this year, not to mention 1 and 2 years later, respectively. It's not a wash as far as the picks go.

I don't see this as an Eller vs Shaw trade. They aren't similar in playing style, positions etc. MT wanted DD, not Eller. MB wanted "Shawzie" and that's that.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
LOL I think my new favorite argument from the fanclub is how Shaw has 2 cup rings. I keep seeing it over and over. As if that ****ing matters... the only reason they keep spouting it is because Baron Bergevin decreed that it was important.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I like TT and if Bickel wasn't attached or they would of taken Eller/DD I would do that trade. But Bickel as a dump was a no go.

And TT is more talented with more potential, but up till now Shaw has proven more at the NHL level ate than TT. TT is younger so he still has time buy his career high is 15G. And he benefits just as much as playing with an amazing Chicago team as Shaw does.

Yeah, let's pay Shaw 4.5M instead for 4 years....Same as Pacioretty...
I hate Bickell too....but that's one year of Bickell and 7-8 of years of Teuvo at a lesser Price.

But why am i surprised...MB can't do no wrong for you.

Don't get me wrong, i know exactly what and who Shaw is and what he'll bring to the table and he is a great acquisition. That being said, if it's the only thing Bergevin does this summer and don't bring a top quality top 6 forward, then MB's summer will be a major fail in my book for the 5th summer in a row.

You don't tie 4M on a 3rd liner when your team is that weak on the top 6, especially when you already have about 10 3rd line players on this team.

MB had around 11,5M after dropping Eller.....will probably end up with 7.5M now...just make it harder to get that top 6 we need.
A luxury grinder wasn't on the top of MB's list of things to do.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Its easy to diminish another players accomplishments. Shaw has 2 cup rings and the experience that comes along with it. He was also a contributor on those runs.

Was he the driving force of course not, but the fact that he has been through 2 very long playoff runs is a big plus and something that this team was missing.

If you don't think that cup experience is important than there isn't much else for us to talk about.

Guess we shoulda kept Gionta. Why didn't we trade for Kruger from Chicago as well? He won 2 cups. You're over valuing this cup thing. So he's automatically more important than Gallgher cause he won two cups?
Marcel Dionne never won a cup. Gilbert Perrault never won a cup. Shaw is more valuable than two HOF players cause he has two cups. Unreal. You're right there's nothing left to talk to you about till next Friday because everything Bergevin does for you is gold. It's gold jerry , it's gold

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Guess we shoulda kept Gionta. Why didn't we trade for Kruger from Chicago as well? He won 2 cups. You're over valuing this cup thing. So he's automatically more important than Gallgher cause he won two cups?
Marcel Dionne never won a cup. Gilbert Perrault never won a cup. Shaw is more valuable than two HOF players cause he has two cups. Unreal. You're right there's nothing left to talk to you about till next Friday because everything Bergevin does for you is gold. It's gold jerry , it's gold

Price didn't win a cup...maybe we should trade him for Fleury cause he has one..:laugh:

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
.....A luxury grinder wasn't on the top of MB's list of things to do.

I love it. Draft weekend 2016 player label of the year nominee. :handclap:

Luxury Grinder

grinding-machine-log-double-layer-luxury-kitchenware-hand-coffee-grinder-wooden-arch-style_2004984.jpg

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Look. At. The. Disease. Not. The. Symptoms.

If management were acceptable, you wouldn't see much noise - but this year it has come to a head and fans are rightfully ticked off and sensitive to other GMs making moves.

Yet MB comes out and says he is not trading PK. Been saying that since the end of year presser. Yet still on this board we had a 40 page thread about how MB is trading PK and its all a ruse and dragging his name through the mud.

Sorry disease seems to be on this board. If people will go so far to misinterpret MB's words to fit a specific narrative don't know how I can not say most of the complaints on this aren't painted by a biased hate against MB.

If MB doesn't add another forward then complaints can be warranted, but like the PC thread lots of chicken littles running around right now.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

And TT is more talented with more potential, but up till now Shaw has proven more at the NHL level than TT. TT is younger so he still has time buy his career high is 15G. And he benefits just as much as playing with an amazing Chicago team as Shaw does.

Its TTs first full NHL year, not sure how you can blame him for not making the NHL full time at 19/20. Even Shaw only beat 35 points once in his 4 NHL seasons, let's not pretend like he's a perennial 20g 35+ point guy. In fact, hes had a couple seasons with Hawks where his production was worse than Eller.

Bickell has 3 cups and played a big run in a couple of the cup runs. No one is going to say hes a great character add.

badbrains

Well Oiled Tank
Feb 1, 2016
ET
Yet MB comes out and says he is not trading PK. Been saying that since the end of year presser. Yet still on this board we had a 40 page thread about how MB is trading PK and its all a ruse and dragging his name through the mud.

Sorry disease seems to be on this board. If people will go so far to misinterpret MB's words to fit a specific narrative don't know how I can not say most of the complaints on this aren't painted by a biased hate against MB.

If MB doesn't add another forward then complaints can be warranted, but like the PC thread lots of chicken littles running around right now.

No. He didn't say that. Rutherford said he wasn't trading Malkin. Period.

MB said I have to listen, I'm not "shopping" PK etc. Never said that he was absolutely not trading PK. He could have ended all the speculation and chose not to.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
It's a business players come and go , it's crazy how fans fall in love with players. The sun came up today .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad