Confirmed Trade: [MTL/STL] Montreal acquires Jake Allen, a 2022 7th from St. Louis for 2020 3rd, 7th

President Skroob

Dec 21, 2019
They were saying on hockey central Allen and Pietrangelo are best friends. Canadiens have 14 million in cap room. Could this trade be a prelude to Montreal enticing Pietrangelo to sign.

Also, allows Montreal to trade Petry for a big return.
tenor.gif

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the basic break-down of your proposal for Montreal?

Habs out
- Domi
- 2020 1st (16th OA)
- 2021 1st (Habs pick with top 10 protection)
- 2020 2nd
- Alzner (To make the Habs cap work)
- Kulak
- Jacob Olofsson

Habs In
- OEL
- Saad ($1.5M retention)

I value Domi around a mid 1st, so him plus 2020 1st & 2021 1st, is more or less 3 1sts of value (not mentioning the other parts). IMO it's too much, even though I admit OEL would look great in Montreal. OEL's contract is also $8,250,000 for another 7 years which is just too much to take on in a flatcap world IMO. If they were willing to take Webber as part of the deal, I would be interested.

I would rather try to fill the PM LHD spot with a guy like Dunn and the RW spot with a guy like Anderson before moving a ransom for another large, long-term contract when you have a group of very good prospects coming.
No.
Great effort but no.

StateOfHockey101

May 19, 2015
How bout the wild trade Dubnyk & 2nd for Allen?

The habs still end up with a backup goalie on the last year of his deal, but gain a 2nd after giving up a 3rd for Allen.

This seems like a win for both teams.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
They were well out of normal playoffs this year, and adding Allen doesn't suddenly improve their fortunes all that much.

+ 4-6 points easy which is huge in this league. Habs backup goaltending has been atrocious. Anyone that follows the team and can be objective gets this.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ok compare MTL defensive performance last year and the year before and you ll see that is a reason why they had a bad season.

A few post season games do nor erase a whole crappy season. Chiarot is a good 4/5 D but not fit to play with Weber. Weber lacks one thing, speed, and you put the only guy slower than him on the same line ?

Regarding stats they don't tell you everything but they can invalidate some theories and some I watched a lot of MTL games this year and last year, stats and results show Chiarot was less effective than Mete with Weber.

Chiarot with the Jets was a good 4/5 guy. He's gotten more opportunity with the Habs and he stepped up. You are underselling it

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Chiarot with the Jets was a good 4/5 guy. He's gotten more opportunity with the Habs and he stepped up. You are underselling it

I am trying to be realistic... Do you really think that a backup goalie was the only issue ? I am not saying Chiarot is a bad player but he is not a 1st line Dman. Too many penalty minutes also (61 this year)

Maybe I am wrong and MTL was only one backup goalie away from playoffs but it seemed a little more complicated. This team needs a scorer and a top LHD in my opinion if they want to contend.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am trying to be realistic... Do you really think that a backup goalie was the only issue ? I am not saying Chiarot is a bad player but he is not a 1st line Dman. Too many penalty minutes also (61 this year)

Maybe I am wrong and MTL was only one backup goalie away from playoffs but it seemed a little more complicated. This team needs a scorer and a top LHD in my opinion if they want to contend.

Chiarot is a beast. Skates very well and is tough to deal with in our own end. He's not just some 4/5 guy he was with the Jets. It's possible we add a D man like Brodin, promote Romanov into the top 4D as the season goes along and Chiarot plays bottom pairing. Don't mean that's where he belongs. He's a great piece for us and you don't overlook that size/skating package cause he is limited offensively.

One of Bergevin's best signing. Got lucky cause he ask Gardiner to sign first though.

I've seen people focus on guys like Chiarot, Armia, and Lehkonen and they are on the target hunt which is annoying. We have flaws to deal with but those 3 are not the problem.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Chiarot is a beast. Skates very well and is tough to deal with in our own end. He's not just some 4/5 guy he was with the Jets. It's possible we add a D man like Brodin, promote Romanov into the top 4D as the season goes along and Chiarot plays bottom pairing. Don't mean that's where he belongs. He's a great piece for us and you don't overlook that size/skating package cause he is limited offensively.

One of Bergevin's best signing. Got lucky cause he ask Gardiner to sign first though.

The issue is that if the plan is to ease Romanov into top 4 role right now, you don't want to pay 3.5m for a bottom guy. Also I still feel Mete was better two years ago. Not that I don't like Chiarot but I think his cap could be put to better use. Let us agree to disagree ;)

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
The issue is that if the plan is to ease Romanov into top 4 role right now, you don't want to pay 3.5m for a bottom guy. Also I still feel Mete was better two years ago. Not that I don't like Chiarot but I think his cap could be put to better use. Let us agree to disagree ;)

I can't really imagine getting more value out of 3.5 tbh Chiarot was really solid this year. You're right that he's definitely not the ideal partner for Weber though, but if Romanov is good enough right away to push him down a pair I think the top 4 is in good shape

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I can’t believe we have 31 pages devoted to a trade for a backup/1b goalie that both teams say is a good deal and are happy with.

It is kind of a slow off season.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I can't really imagine getting more value out of 3.5 tbh Chiarot was really solid this year. You're right that he's definitely not the ideal partner for Weber though, but if Romanov is good enough right away to push him down a pair I think the top 4 is in good shape

Personnally, I would like ??? - Weber, Romanov - Petry, two of Kulak - Mete - Fleury - Juulsen. Because 3.5m on the bottom pair is quite a lot but I guess it is a taste issue...

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Personnally, I would like ??? - Weber, Romanov - Petry, two of Kulak - Mete - Fleury - Juulsen. Because 3.5m on the bottom pair is quite a lot but I guess it is a taste issue...

I just think he clearly showed this year he's capable of being in the top 4, I don't think there's any urgency to have someone better than him as the #4 imo especially considering a bottom pair of the guys you mentioned would be quite a ways above average. If Romanov is as good as he's been made out to be I don't think the D really needs work, but that's a lot riding on a 20 year old. If they can get get someone for a year like TJ Brodie who can skate and soften Romanov's minutes I think that's best case scenario. Sergachev would be pretty nice right now lol

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I just think he clearly showed this year he's capable of being in the top 4, I don't think there's any urgency to have someone better than him as the #4 imo especially considering a bottom pair of the guys you mentioned would be quite a ways above average. If Romanov is as good as he's been made out to be I don't think the D really needs work, but that's a lot riding on a 20 year old. If they can get get someone for a year like TJ Brodie who can skate and soften Romanov's minutes I think that's best case scenario. Sergachev would be pretty nice right now lol

Yep imagine Sergachev on 1st line and Romanov 2nd line. The worst part is that for all his flaws, Bergevin has traded quite well and made one really bad trade but how bad does it look like right now... maybe if Sergachev asks for 8m+ it won't seem as bad in a few months ahah

Honestly I get your point regarding Chiarot legit on the second line as mentioned before, my fear is more that he does not really fit with Weber. The Habs need to play fast, Chiarot is often too slow compared to the rest of the team, that is the issue I have with him (and dumb penalties)

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal

Definitely is not the only problem, but it is part of it for sure. There's not 1 big solution required to improve a team/organization, very often it's a combination of several smaller ones, this is a step in the right direction.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Definitely is not the only problem, but it is part of it for sure. There's not 1 big solution required to improve a team/organization, very often it's a combination of several smaller ones, this is a step in the right direction.
I fully agree with you and I have been supportive of acquiring Allen. I was just saying the Habs could use an upgrade over Chiarot.

Reactions: Favster

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
If Drouin is a keeper because he cannot be traded, then I would try to get Ehlers in a trade from the Jets.

Maybe having Ehlers will help Drouin be more consistent since they know each other from playing together in junior.

Drouin - Suzuki - Ehlers
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - KK - Armia

Would I prefer Laine? Hell yeah!! But I don't want to sell the farm for him.

Although a near Future of Laine as RW1 and Caufield as RW2 would be epic!!

Drouin - Suzuki - Laine
Big LW - KK - Caufield

Yes please!! :nod:

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Be good to have Allen for the second of the back to backs, keeps Price fresh.

Be interesting to see how it works given the uncertainty of the season.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
They were saying on hockey central Allen and Pietrangelo are best friends. Canadiens have 14 million in cap room. Could this trade be a prelude to Montreal enticing Pietrangelo to sign.

Also, allows Montreal to trade Petry for a big return.

That would be quite the coup and shrewd movement by Bergevin, but I don't see Pietrangelo signing in Montreal because his friend is there one season.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yep imagine Sergachev on 1st line and Romanov 2nd line. The worst part is that for all his flaws, Bergevin has traded quite well and made one really bad trade but how bad does it look like right now... maybe if Sergachev asks for 8m+ it won't seem as bad in a few months ahah

Honestly I get your point regarding Chiarot legit on the second line as mentioned before, my fear is more that he does not really fit with Weber. The Habs need to play fast, Chiarot is often too slow compared to the rest of the team, that is the issue I have with him (and dumb penalties)

Yeah I agree with that, he and Weber are definitely not a great match at all. Although stylistically he could work with Petry I feel like even though Kulak-Petry pairing has been unreal at times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad