Confirmed Trade: [MTL/STL] Montreal acquires Jake Allen, a 2022 7th from St. Louis for 2020 3rd, 7th

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
I really don't get a lot of the criticism directed towards Montreal. They've got cap space -- it's not like they're saddled with Allen for 3+ years. And despite his inconsistencies, Allen has shown he can be part of a strong goalie tandem. It wouldn't surprise me if he has nice year backing up Price where he knows he won't have to be "the guy". People had this idea it was going to cost the Blues a first to unload Allen and it was never going to be the case. Personally I thought they'd get a 4th or 5th for him but Montreal has picks coming out of their ears and a third round pick isn't much in the grand scheme of things. This is the definition of a win-win trade, IMO.
Poeple on these boards are truly dumb as f***. Kincaid and Mason are falling off the books for about a savings of 2mil. Also, its 1 year before Allen is a UFA.. so they are paying 2mil for a greatbackup.. its an amazing move by Bergy

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I really don't get a lot of the criticism directed towards Montreal. They've got cap space -- it's not like they're saddled with Allen for 3+ years. And despite his inconsistencies, Allen has shown he can be part of a strong goalie tandem. It wouldn't surprise me if he has nice year backing up Price where he knows he won't have to be "the guy". People had this idea it was going to cost the Blues a first to unload Allen and it was never going to be the case. Personally I thought they'd get a 4th or 5th for him but Montreal has picks coming out of their ears and a third round pick isn't much in the grand scheme of things. This is the definition of a win-win trade, IMO.

Allen has one glaring weakness. He is an absolute JOKE in games with big time implications. He's been that way since junior. He chokes constantly. He will not play many big time games for Montreal because of Price. Price will get the important games, and Allen will play the rest. I think he'll have a great year because of that. He thrived when he was no longer supposed to be "the guy" in St Louis. He certainly won't be the guy in Montreal either.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Sounds awful young.

Husso? He's 25. He's been in the AHL since 2016. Stats were wonderful for a couple years but fell off the last 2 years, but in talking to people that actually watch the Blues AHL affiliate (I don't), their defense was horrific and left him out to dry almost every night.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Allen will be a good backup to Price. It's a solid deal for Montreal if they intend on still having cap to spare while still competing. They still have about 15 mil of cap space to work with assuming they bury Lindgren or trade him elsewhere

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Bergevin touched on this in the end of season press conference and I've said it too way back. I feel his playoff games this year were similar to his stats down the stretch for the 18/19 season. We will look for a LD solution but having Kulak as a back-up is a good situation. Bergevin is not wrong when he says depth is important.

Very curious to see if we can make other moves and it sounds like Domi will be one for sure. Check out this blockbuster trade idea below...

Proposal: - Coyotes - Habs - Blackhawks
I saw that proposal. OEL is a great player but this contract is too rich, for too long and I wouldn't give up 3 1st for him either (even when getting rid of Lolzner).

IMO Habs need a PM LHD who is above average, not a star. They have a very good LHD prospect pool coming, and I realize you shouldn't pencil them in just yet, there is a very high percentage chance that 1 or 2 will work out. I wouldn't want to block long term while taking on a large, hard to move contract.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I saw that proposal. OEL is a great player but this contract is too rich, for too long and I wouldn't give up 3 1st for him either (even when getting rid of Lolzner).

IMO Habs need a PM LHD who is above average, not a star. They have a very good LHD prospect pool coming, and I realize you shouldn't pencil them in just yet, there is a very high percentage chance that 1 or 2 will work out. I wouldn't want to block long term while taking on a large, hard to move contract.

It's not 3 1st's or OEL alone. One of those 1st's is to move Alzner in that package and it's required to make the Habs cap work. And OEL is signed till 35, not 39 like Burns. To be honest, I rather OEL from 29-35 at $8.25M vs Hall from 29-35 at $9M. How's that for perspective? OEL is a good fit for the Habs IMO. He would not be expected to lead our group like he is with the Coyotes.

So do you think OEL is going to fall like Subban? Doubt that

Habs are stretching a bit yes but you are underselling OEL as a solution for the Habs on the PP and a partner for Petry or Weber with Chiarot or Romanov playing with the other.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
It's not 3 1st's or OEL alone. One of those 1st's is to move Alzner in that package and it's required to make the Habs cap work. And OEL is signed till 35, not 39 like Burns. To be honest, I rather OEL from 29-35 at $8.25M vs Hall from 29-35 at $9M. How's that for perspective? OEL is a good fit for the Habs IMO. He would not be expected to lead our group like he is with the Coyotes.

Habs are stretching a bit yes but you are underselling OEL as a solution for the Habs on the PP and a partner for Petry or Weber with Chiarot or Romanov playing with the other.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the basic break-down of your proposal for Montreal?

Habs out
- Domi
- 2020 1st (16th OA)
- 2021 1st (Habs pick with top 10 protection)
- 2020 2nd
- Alzner (To make the Habs cap work)
- Kulak
- Jacob Olofsson

Habs In
- OEL
- Saad ($1.5M retention)

I value Domi around a mid 1st, so him plus 2020 1st & 2021 1st, is more or less 3 1sts of value (not mentioning the other parts). IMO it's too much, even though I admit OEL would look great in Montreal. OEL's contract is also $8,250,000 for another 7 years which is just too much to take on in a flatcap world IMO. If they were willing to take Webber as part of the deal, I would be interested.

I would rather try to fill the PM LHD spot with a guy like Dunn and the RW spot with a guy like Anderson before moving a ransom for another large, long-term contract when you have a group of very good prospects coming.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the basic break-down of your proposal for Montreal?

Habs out
- Domi
- 2020 1st (16th OA)
- 2020 2nd
- Kulak
- Jacob Olofsson

Habs In
- OEL
- Saad ($1.5M retention)

I value Domi around a mid 1st, so him plus 2020 1st & 2021 1st, is more or less 3 1sts of value (not mentioning the other parts). IMO it's too much, even though I admit OEL would look great in Montreal. OEL's contract is also $8,250,000 for another 7 years which is just too much to take on in a flatcap world IMO. If they were willing to take Webber as part of the deal, I would be interested.

I would rather try to fill the PM LHD spot with a guy like Dunn and the RW spot with a guy like Anderson before moving a ransom for another large, long-term contract when you have a group of very good prospects coming.
I agree. If the Habs fans can be patient for just one more year I think the team could be so much better in the long run . Especially considering how uncertain the future is with COVID and the expansion draft . I would not be surprised at all to see next season shut down again .

Omar

Oct 10, 2017

You like overpaying for old players. It’s giving me anxiety.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
You like overpaying for old players. It’s giving me anxiety.
I can see the temptation because Ekman-Larsson would be awesome for our power play with two twenty goal seasons and being in his prime . It’s just that we have so many good young players and prospects that our best chance lies in building on that young nucleus . Dunn fits that age bracket much better but watching him in the playoffs I didn’t see what the hype was all about .

Reactions: Omar

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Lousy during the regular season. Ok defensively in the playoffs but not generating offense. Can't compete with Chiarot as top LHD

This is bull shit!

- Lousy during the regular season? I question you even watched the games if you think that.
- OK defensibly? He's way more than OK in his own end
- Can't compete with a physical big body that skates well in the playoffs? Come on man.
- Not generating offense? Wow, you are stat watching way too much

Are you sure you are not Dubas?

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
This is bull shit!

- Lousy during the regular season? I question you even watched the games if you think that.
- OK defensibly? He's way more than OK in his own end
- Can't compete with a physical big body that skates well in the playoffs? Come on man.
- Not generating offense? Wow, you are stat watching way too much

Are you sure you are not Dubas?

Ok compare MTL defensive performance last year and the year before and you ll see that is a reason why they had a bad season.

A few post season games do nor erase a whole crappy season. Chiarot is a good 4/5 D but not fit to play with Weber. Weber lacks one thing, speed, and you put the only guy slower than him on the same line ?

Regarding stats they don't tell you everything but they can invalidate some theories and some I watched a lot of MTL games this year and last year, stats and results show Chiarot was less effective than Mete with Weber.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Lousy in the season? You definitely haven't watched a lot of Habs games.

Yes I have, he is better than we expected not first line material. He is too slow to play next to Weber, they are not complementary.

Else how do you explain Habs rankings ? Everybody was happy with 1st line, Suzuki, Kovalchuck when he came, Armia Lekhonen, Petry... and yet we should not have made thr playoffs. Drouin and Byron were injured but the whole teqm failed and I really believe we need an upgrade as LhD

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Don't need to pay that much for oel and moving Alzner out. Should be a 1st 2nd and 3rd plus Alzner for oel Alzner is easily bought out next season and they get all there draft picks this draft.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

Habs out
- Domi
- 2020 1st (16th OA)
- 2020 2nd
- Kulak
- Jacob Olofsson

Habs In
- OEL
- Saad ($1.5M retention)

i wouldn't touch this as a habs fan. saad is basically irrelevant and that's a ton for OEL

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
You make me laugh.
it’s a terrible a move!

using your precious cap space on Jake Allen and giving up a 3rd.
In terms of money Allen does make a good chunk of cash while playing as a backup right now, ringing in at $4,350,000 per year with just one year left on his current deal. So it does mean that the Canadiens have nearly $16 million tied up in net, but there’s important context needed for this. If and when the Canadiens move Karl Alzner back to the minors along with whatever they choose to do with Charlie Lindgren, they’ll be up to $16 million in cap space.
All the hockey analyst claim it was a very good move but you being such an expert disagree with the rest of the world.
Who's being laughed at now?:popcorn:

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The Habs have $14 million in cap space AFTER acquiring Jake Allen. They'll be fine.

Backup goaltender has been a nightmare here the last couple of years. Im happy we fixed it. It didn’t cost a lot and I don’t care if Allen is paid 4M. Price can rest and play 50-55 games.
This is a good deal for the Habs.

I'm not a Habs or Blues fan and couldn't care less about their respective cap hits. This make Montreal a better team, and that's what I would be looking for if it were my team -- the Leafs.

In the end, I wouldn't care what they spend if it makes your team better, and it does.

Now the Habs have the right guys in the right roles: a very good starter; an okay veteran backup; and a cheap, young third-stringer they can bury in the minors.

It's all good.

Well done.

Reactions: Maitz

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
They were saying on hockey central Allen and Pietrangelo are best friends. Canadiens have 14 million in cap room. Could this trade be a prelude to Montreal enticing Pietrangelo to sign.

Also, allows Montreal to trade Petry for a big return.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
This is a good deal for the Habs.

I'm not a Habs or Blues fan and couldn't care less about their respective cap hits. This make Montreal a better team, and that's what I would be looking for if it were my team -- the Leafs.

In the end, I wouldn't care what they spend if it makes your team better, and it does.

Now the Habs have the right guys in the right roles: a very good starter; an okay veteran backup; and a cheap, young third-stringer they can bury in the minors.

It's all good.

Well done.
Nice to hear a reasonable response Good luck with your net situation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad