Confirmed Trade: [MTL/STL] Montreal acquires Jake Allen, a 2022 7th from St. Louis for 2020 3rd, 7th

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
If St.Louis tries to lowball Pietrangelo maybe opportunity for Montreal? Habs have tons of cash and caproom.

Probably not worth spending too much time on AP as a target, I think it's highly unlikely he'd choose MTL even if they were offering the most money. It's pretty clear from interviews that at this point he wants to stay in STL and I think he'll eventually re-up here. He wasn't happy with other guys getting extensions before him but he's mentioned legacy is important to him and I don't think he has any desire to start over in a new city with his young family. Could be completely wrong of course but that's my honest take on it.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Since it's pure speculation...maybe it starts with Pietrangelo instead of Allen? Assume, for a second, that Montreal somehow knows that Pietrangelo would seriously consider a competitive offer from Montreal, should such a offer be put forth. Allen then would be the icing on the cake, so to speak. The additional draw to further entice Pietrangelo to jump into Montreal...perhaps?

Shawn Perry

Feb 26, 2018
That 2022 7th really made the difference.

15 million spent on goaltending next season for MTL.
They have lots of cap room. If Allen plays 30 games at the level he plays, he will get 20 wins easily, something MTL has not been able to get out their backup for years. Thankfully they have managed their cap space wisely unlike so many teams. Even with this move, Habs have a lot of room left to bring in an impact player. So few teams in the league are in a position to do this.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Probably not worth spending too much time on AP as a target, I think it's highly unlikely he'd choose MTL even if they were offering the most money. It's pretty clear from interviews that at this point he wants to stay in STL and I think he'll eventually re-up here. He wasn't happy with other guys getting extensions before him but he's mentioned legacy is important to him and I don't think he has any desire to start over in a new city with his young family. Could be completely wrong of course but that's my honest take on it.
Don't get many opportunities to get a stud D-man like Pietrangelo. Especially, not giving up an asset besides caproom. We are prepared to throw a bunch of money at him. Where we have the cash and caproom. If there is 1% opportunity there we like to explore it. Maybe his best friend in Montreal opens the door more?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Don't get many opportunities to get a stud D-man like Pietrangelo. Especially, not giving up an asset besides caproom. We are prepared to throw a bunch of money at him. Where we have the cash and caproom. If there is 1% opportunity there we like to explore it. Maybe his best friend in Montreal opens the door more?
Even if Pietrangelo and Allen are besties, I doubt it makes a difference. Players have friends scattered throughout the league on many teams, having played together as kids, in junior, or another NHL team. I doubt any of them sign a contract because one particular buddy's over there.

Yeah, any team would love having Pietrangelo, but it makes the most sense for him to stay in St. Louis.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Since it's pure speculation...maybe it starts with Pietrangelo instead of Allen? Assume, for a second, that Montreal somehow knows that Pietrangelo would seriously consider a competitive offer from Montreal, should such a offer be put forth. Allen then would be the icing on the cake, so to speak. The additional draw to further entice Pietrangelo to jump into Montreal...perhaps?

Pretty sure Pietrangelo is already on record saying that he want in STL. Wouldn’t Price be enough to entice him, Why would he be more willing to take a offer which will be a long term offer because Allen will be a backup for one season...

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The issue is that if the plan is to ease Romanov into top 4 role right now, you don't want to pay 3.5m for a bottom guy. Also I still feel Mete was better two years ago. Not that I don't like Chiarot but I think his cap could be put to better use. Let us agree to disagree ;)
Chariot is an absolute gem and a steal of a contract.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
They have lots of cap room. If Allen plays 30 games at the level he plays, he will get 20 wins easily, something MTL has not been able to get out their backup for years. Thankfully they have managed their cap space wisely unlike so many teams. Even with this move, Habs have a lot of room left to bring in an impact player. So few teams in the league are in a position to do this.

Expecting him to win games at a better rate than the Bruins did this season is optimistic.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Allen will not win 20 out of 30 games with our team. :laugh: Price is arguably one of the best in the league and is still struggling to remain a bit above .500. If Allen can win a few extra games, we may be a playoff team. But we shouldn’t be aiming to be a bubble team. We should be aiming for a championship. And that’s never going to happen with our roster as it is now.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Pretty sure Pietrangelo is already on record saying that he want in STL. Wouldn’t Price be enough to entice him, Why would he be more willing to take a offer which will be a long term offer because Allen will be a backup for one season...

Well...assuming there is truth to the speculation...Allen is only signed to a one year deal until he's offered a new extention...as part of the overall larger picture.

Again, I'm not saying that's the case...but if it is...maybe this is just the first step in a greater plan.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Well...assuming there is truth to the speculation...Allen is only signed to a one year deal until he's offered a new extention...as part of the overall larger picture.

Again, I'm not saying that's the case...but if it is...maybe this is just the first step in a greater plan.
I’m hoping it is part of a plan and not just a random Moves but
There is just no way that getting Allen get you any closer to signing Pietrangelo... 1st you have just increase STL ability to resign him while restricting your own, 2nd if he want to go to a contender adding a 4M$ backup those help your case...

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Maybe, Montreal sure paid too much for Allen compared to the Staal trade.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I’m hoping it is part of a plan and not just a random Moves but
There is just no way that getting Allen get you any closer to signing Pietrangelo... 1st you have just increase STL ability to resign him while restricting your own, 2nd if he want to go to a contender adding a 4M$ backup those help your case...
His best friend.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Yeah we just resigned Petry. Pietrangelo is a pipe dream unless MB has Weber moving back to the Preds for a top 6 winger or something which again I doubt happens.

Hell I don't even know what the Preds needs are.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
GTFO with AP to Montreal.

We just extended Petry so he can play on the 3rd RD pair?
Sure as hell ain't getting traded when he was just re-upped?!

And Weber ain't going anywhere and this was confirmed by Bergevin and he's a player Bergevin LOVES!

So again... GTFO with your AP to MTL.

If he was a LD then all day every day to Montreal but he ain't so he won't.

Some people I tell ya...

Reactions: Prominence

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
I think we’ll be looking at a similar situation to Tavares signing. He will announce that he won’t be signing with the blues, except when he does sign it will be completely out of left field which team he goes with

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I think we’ll be looking at a similar situation to Tavares signing. He will announce that he won’t be signing with the blues, except when he does sign it will be completely out of left field which team he goes with

I don't remember Tavares picking Toronto as "out of left field" as they were one of the teams actually meeting him in person and presenting their offer along with a couple other teams that have faded from my memory (San Jose was one for sure, Dallas?....., totally forget who else at this point sorry)

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don't remember Tavares picking Toronto as "out of left field" as they were one of the teams actually meeting him in person and presenting their offer along with a couple other teams that have faded from my memory (San Jose was one for sure, Dallas?....., totally forget who else at this point sorry)

It was SJ, DAL, TB, BOS, TOR, and NYI. He met with representatives from each organization in LA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad