Confirmed Trade: [MTL/STL] Montreal acquires Jake Allen, a 2022 7th from St. Louis for 2020 3rd, 7th

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Here. Fixed it for you:

The Habs desperately need better defense.

The Trident was pretty effective in the playoffs. And we got Romanov coming next year who was blocked from playing this playoffs. Habs back end is not the problem but we can use a PP QB type. Scoring on wing is an issue we will focus on. This is why we have Domi and possibly our 16th pick on the trade table

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I've compiled draft results for a study a few years back and it's higher than that... but no the numbers are not great so I wonder why people care soo much about a 3rd round pick...

I cannot locate my spreadsheet but see below, the main page of my study

imgpsh_fullsize_anim

It's Bergevin... Fans hate him so much, he can trade a 7th round pick and they still make fun of him.

Reactions: Saucechucker99

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Glass houses.

I’ve already illustrated my point several times and even quoted someone else who said the same exact thing, but let’s see that context that you claim to have.

Your posts are nothing but snark and diversions away from the fact that you don’t have anything worthwhile to argue with.

Come back when you have a clue.
Yes like rangers management

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
The Trident was pretty effective in the playoffs. And we got Romanov coming next year who was blocked from playing this playoffs. Habs back end is not the problem but we can use a PP QB type. Scoring on wing is an issue we will focus on. This is why we have Domi and possibly our 16th pick on the trade table
I really really don'T trust Chiarot to run the #1 line to be frank, and Romanov we have yet to see him play and adapt.

I think we still need a true #1 LD like Ekholm or something. I don't trust Chiarot just because of 10 games.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I really really don'T trust Chiarot to run the #1 line to be frank, and Romanov we have yet to see him play and adapt.

I think we still need a true #1 LD like Ekholm or something. I don't trust Chiarot just because of 10 games.

Chiarot played like that all season long man. His 10 playoff games was similar to his regular season. He's a great fit for us for 2 more years while Romanov is sheltered and groomed into a top 4D role. Might happen sooner than later or not. Sergachev is playing 3rd pairing with PP time.

But yes, I would like to add another D to play with Petry. Kulak is decent when he is at his best but can he remain consistent? Not sure and even if he does, might not be enough cause that spot with Petry should be a PP QB!

Also, this is how I see things if we can find a LD for Petry...

??? / Petry
Chiarot / Weber
Romanov / Whoever wins the job (Kulak, Juulsen, Fleury, Mete).

In two years, Romanov takes Chiarot's spot and one of the young LD's comes in (Norlinder, Harris, Struble)

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I guess my confusion isn’t why Montreal added a goalie. Im confused by, why Jake Allen. Like, there are a lot of quality backup goalies in free agency for free, and likely for cheaper than 4.3M or whatever, and doesn’t cost you a top 93 pick.

Seems like a move Montreal could’ve waited on

Since 2014-15 among goalies with 20 playoff starts only one as a better playoff GAA than Allen's 2.06. So why not go after the guy who was better at 1.99 GAA- he wasn't available- his name is Carey Price. This team is not good enough to win with an average backup, Allen is probably the best guy available, Cap space is not an issue for 2020-21. 2020-21 is likely to have a compressed schedule making the back up more important. Seems like a no brainer to acquire him for a late 3rd round pick.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I really don't get a lot of the criticism directed towards Montreal. They've got cap space -- it's not like they're saddled with Allen for 3+ years. And despite his inconsistencies, Allen has shown he can be part of a strong goalie tandem. It wouldn't surprise me if he has nice year backing up Price where he knows he won't have to be "the guy". People had this idea it was going to cost the Blues a first to unload Allen and it was never going to be the case. Personally I thought they'd get a 4th or 5th for him but Montreal has picks coming out of their ears and a third round pick isn't much in the grand scheme of things. This is the definition of a win-win trade, IMO.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Since 2014-15 among goalies with 20 playoff starts only one as a better playoff GAA than Allen's 2.06. So why not go after the guy who was better at 1.99 GAA- he wasn't available- his name is Carey Price. This team is not good enough to win with an average backup, Allen is probably the best guy available, Cap space is not an issue for 2020-21. 2020-21 is likely to have a compressed schedule making the back up more important. Seems like a no brainer to acquire him for a late 3rd round pick.
It is a no brainer . It’s a one year deal . All the better UFA goalies are not taking a one year deal to backup price . It really seems that a team using its available cap space drives fans from other teams berserk . There’s a rangers fan who has posted about it all day . I can understand their displeasure though . I mean if you were gonna pay Kevin Shattenkirk over 6 million this coming season to play hockey on another team I’d be upset to . Habs fans do not have to explain this deal to anyone . Maybe Bergevin could offer online lessons to other gms about salary cap management

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I really don't get a lot of the criticism directed towards Montreal. They've got cap space -- it's not like they're saddled with Allen for 3+ years. And despite his inconsistencies, Allen has shown he can be part of a strong goalie tandem. It wouldn't surprise me if he has nice year backing up Price where he knows he won't have to be "the guy". People had this idea it was going to cost the Blues a first to unload Allen and it was never going to be the case. Personally I thought they'd get a 4th or 5th for him but Montreal has picks coming out of their ears and a third round pick isn't much in the grand scheme of things. This is the definition of a win-win trade, IMO.

It's a lot easier putting up good numbers on the defending champs than Montreal. Barring the times where goalie was on hot streak, backup numbers are terrible in Montreal because the team can't handle having average goalies.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
It is a no brainer . It’s a one year deal . All the better UFA goalies are not taking a one year deal to backup price . It really seems that a team using its available cap space drives fans from other teams berserk . There’s a rangers fan who has posted about it all day . I can understand their displeasure though . I mean if you were gonna pay Kevin Shattenkirk over 6 million this coming season to play hockey on another team I’d be upset to . Habs fans do not have to explain this deal to anyone . Maybe Bergevin could offer online lessons to other gms about salary cap management
Other fans are mad because it's Montreal making a trade to fill a need while there teams are sitting on there hands doing nothing or still playing for a cup. A lot of leaf fans were dreaming of Petro going to the leafs but with this trade it basically destroyed most of any chance of him going to the leafs. People rag on the Habs for the smallest stupidest shit it's mind boggling.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Uh, I already said years ago STL should trade for Price, while MTL should get young assets + Allen until Primeau is ready. Then Binnington emerged. But Allen to MTL, I should've bet money on it...

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
It’s a good trade for us. Wouldn’t even be surprised to see him sign a 1-2 year extension at 3M to really groom Primeau at 22-23 years. Primeau is still so young.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
He hasn’t even played in AHL yet. No way Blues have him on big club.
I'm not trying to compare but carey price only played 12 ahl games. If hofer out plays husso then you play better goalie. But we will see some one brought in to compete with husso

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Chiarot played like that all season long man. His 10 playoff games was similar to his regular season. He's a great fit for us for 2 more years while Romanov is sheltered and groomed into a top 4D role. Might happen sooner than later or not. Sergachev is playing 3rd pairing with PP time.

But yes, I would like to add another D to play with Petry. Kulak is decent when he is at his best but can he remain consistent? Not sure and even if he does, might not be enough cause that spot with Petry should be a PP QB!

Also, this is how I see things if we can find a LD for Petry...

??? / Petry
Chiarot / Weber
Romanov / Whoever wins the job (Kulak, Juulsen, Fleury, Mete).

In two years, Romanov takes Chiarot's spot and one of the young LD's comes in (Norlinder, Harris, Struble)

I don't like the Chiarot Weber pair, it is too slow. And Weber performed better with Mete in 2018/2019 with than with Chiarot, and Mete performed well with Weber. I would like a top LD with Petry, Mete with Weber, 2 of Fleury / Kulak / Juulsen on the bottom pair.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
I don't get all the people in here dogging Montreal for this trade. Jake Allen leaves the Blues SECOND on the all time wins list with 148, just three wins shy of tying Mike Liut. He finishes SECOND all time on the Blues list in shutouts with 21. His career save percentage is a .913 and a 2.50 GAA in his career makes him more than serviceable. He has one year left, and he is, by all reports, a outstanding teammate. Has lost the starting job multiple times, never complained, just did what he had to do to help his team win.

If Husso doesn't work out this year, I wouldn't argue the Blues bringing him back on a new (cheaper) deal in free agency.

Reactions: le_sean

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't like the Chiarot Weber pair, it is too slow. And Weber performed better with Mete in 2018/2019 with than with Chiarot, and Mete performed well with Weber. I would like a top LD with Petry, Mete with Weber, 2 of Fleury / Kulak / Juulsen on the bottom pair.

Not worried about Chiarot/Weber. Not one bit myself

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'm not trying to compare but carey price only played 12 ahl games. If hofer out plays husso then you play better goalie. But we will see some one brought in to compete with husso
I am super excited for Hofer's potential but he isn't Carey Price. Price was 5th pick in draft and had led Hamilton to AHL title before winning Habs job at 20.

And has Army ever given you reason to believe he is going to rely on 20 year old goalie who has played 1 pro game?

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Good trade for both teams. Blues dump a lot of cap, get a 3rd and continue on with negotiating with Piets.

Habs solidify goaltending behind Price who is no guarantee for a full season. Not sure why Bergevin and Habs getting all the hate and I don’t cheer for Habs but can look at this objectively.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I am super excited for Hofer's potential but he isn't Carey Price. Price was 5th pick in draft and had led Hamilton to AHL title before winning Habs job at 20.

And has Army ever given you reason to believe he is going to rely on 20 year old goalie who has played 1 pro game?
No, thats why I didn't compare i just said its a possibility. Very small chance but possible

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Kulak is decent when he is at his best but can he remain consistent?

I think you’re right here and in my mind this is a major issue. Many fans have already penciled Kulak in next year due to his recent play off performance.

Kulak to me is unreliable, he can be good for 10-15 game stretches and then poor for a stretch, unfortunately in Montreal their LHD is poor and need him to be at his best to be competitive. IMO they need to push Kulak down into fighting for the 3rd LHD spot with Mete and desperately need a 1/2 puck moving LHD out of this off-season. The don’t have the luxury of waiting 2/3 years for guys like Norlinder, Harris to mature enough to play that major role.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think you’re right here and in my mind this is a major issue. Many fans have already penciled Kulak in next year due to his recent play off performance.

Kulak to me is unreliable, he can be good for 10-15 game stretches and then poor for a stretch, unfortunately in Montreal their LHD is poor and need him to be at his best to be competitive. IMO they need to push Kulak down into fighting for the 3rd LHD spot with Mete and desperately need a 1/2 puck moving LHD out of this off-season. The don’t have the luxury of waiting 2/3 years for guys like Norlinder, Harris to mature enough to play that major role.

Bergevin touched on this in the end of season press conference and I've said it too way back. I feel his playoff games this year were similar to his stats down the stretch for the 18/19 season. We will look for a LD solution but having Kulak as a back-up is a good situation. Bergevin is not wrong when he says depth is important.

Very curious to see if we can make other moves and it sounds like Domi will be one for sure. Check out this blockbuster trade idea below...

Proposal: - Coyotes - Habs - Blackhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad