Eklund Rumor: [MTL-PHI] Pacioretty for Sanheim + 3rd

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
They mentioned a third team... Colorado. Could mtl want Barrie but they would definitely give up Drouin and thats unlikely and my fantasy. So if they give up Pac, then it would probably even be Landeskog they're after, but the most obvious one here is Matt Duchene. Only defensemen that I would look into are Alex Galchenyuk and Artturi Lehkonen AND neither one is a defenseman!

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
MTL and PHI are not good trade partners. ''Decent value'' for both side but doesn't fill a need for both teams.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
MTL and PHI are not good trade partners. ''Decent value'' for both side but doesn't fill a need for both teams.

It doesn't make sense from Montreal's point of view, but the Flyers have a bunch of young highly skilled defencemen and no goal scorers on the wings other than Simmonds. To me it makes perfect sense for them.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
They mentioned a third team... Colorado. Could mtl want Barrie but they would definitely give up Drouin and thats unlikely and my fantasy. So if they give up Pac, then it would probably even be Landeskog they're after, but the most obvious one here is Matt Duchene. Only defensemen that I would look into are Alex Galchenyuk and Artturi Lehkonen AND neither one is a defenseman!

:huh:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It doesn't make sense from Montreal's point of view, but the Flyers have a bunch of young highly skilled defencemen and no goal scorers on the wings other than Simmonds. To me it makes perfect sense for them.

Philly doesnt have highly skilled defencemen, we have highly skilled prospects. Until those prospects become the highly skilled defensemen we hope they are, we can't afford to move them.

Would a player like Pacioretty help? Sure. But not at the expense of our blueline, which needs to be addressed first.

We also have Lindblom coming over this year, who'll likely slot on the top line with G and Voracek.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
makes sense for the habs if sanheim brings back duchene

for philly this would be just plain stupid though so this has to be just eklund being eklund all over again

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Why is everyone ignoring the 3rd team part of that rumor? It does make sense if you put Colorado in there. Montreal is after a center, Colorado wants a blue chip LHD.

5fueuAc.png

Colorado fans want a blue chip LHD. Sakic apparently wants someone more proven though, even if they are simply just a middle pair defender.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I don't see why Flyer fans would trade what they considered their top prospect before this year in Sanheim- when they need D help desperately at the NHL level.... for a goal scoring winger with 2 years left on his deal.

Not only does Pac not command that value but even if the Flyers were to do this, I'm sure they'd prefer a cheaper alternative of a winger like Neal, Eberle- or even signing a UFA winger like Rads as a empty wallet. Far preferable than moving Sanheim

Also, Lindbolm can play on their team as early as next year.

On the other hand, this makes a lot of sense for the Habs. They trade a underpeforming wing (playoffs) when they are in win-now mode who only has 2 years left on his deal and solve a hole at LHD- as Sanheim can be ready as early as next year...+shed some cap after those big deals they gave out this year (Alzner, Price, Weber).

The only way this deal might make sense is if the Habs reworked a framework with Chuck and the Flyers add to Sanheim.

My thoughts.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Dumb contract?

Gally holds more value than Sanheim.

Yes....dumb contract....but hear me out.

Montreal is trying to win a cup in the next few years with Price, Weber, MaxP, Chucky, Gally as the core. Signing Chucky to a cheaper 3 year deal like they did makes a bit of sense for them. They want the lower cap hit to go for the cup.

However to a team like the Flyers, that Chucky contract is dumb and worsened his value as opposed to him being a RFA and signing a longer contract that fits the Flyers rebuild...say 5-6 years...even if the cap is a big higher.

It's also why this EK rumour is BS. The Flyers are not looking for a short term, win now move. That was shown when they just traded Schenn for picks. And on the flip side, Montreal IS trying to win now, so trading a proven goal scorer for futures makes no sense either. As I said before, the opposite deal is what would make sense...Simmonds to Mtl for futures....as that fits both teams timelines to try and contend.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
isn't Max Patioready a regular-season only type player?

He is. He was particularly bad this year. But at his defense he never played with a legit top 6 center. His centers so far in the NHL have been David Desharnais, Phillip Danault, a past 30 years old Plekanec and an end of career Scott Gomez. He is a finisher. If his center fail he'll fail too.

In the regular season it works. You face many bad teams and the defensive system are not really tailor made top stop you. But in the playoffs when you face the same team 7 games in a row the coach can adjust and tailor made his defensive plan to counter the other team's best players. It's easy to send your best center against patch and leave the bottom 6 center playing with him alone. It's not like Desharnais and Danault will score goals if you leave them alone anyway.

One year in playoffs Patch was playing with Desharnais and Weise. I mean at one point you can't ask for miracle Jesus himself would probably not be able to achieve. How many wingers in this league would have success in playoffs playing with Desharnais and Weise?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

Montreal is trying to win a cup in the next few years with Price, Weber, MaxP, Chucky, Gally as the core. Signing Chucky to a cheaper 3 year deal like they did makes a bit of sense for them. They want the lower cap hit to go for the cup.

However to a team like the Flyers, that Chucky contract is dumb and worsened his value as opposed to him being a RFA and signing a longer contract that fits the Flyers rebuild...say 5-6 years...even if the cap is a big higher.

It's also why this EK rumour is BS. The Flyers are not looking for a short term, win now move. That was shown when they just traded Schenn for picks. And on the flip side, Montreal IS trying to win now, so trading a proven goal scorer for futures makes no sense either. As I said before, the opposite deal is what would make sense...Simmonds to Mtl for futures....as that fits both teams timelines to try and contend.

Even Simmonds to Montreal doesn't really work.

Assuming Montreal plays Galchenyuk at Centre, and not wing (which is far from a guarantee)... you still have (in no particular order):

Pacioretty, Drouin, Gallagher, Shaw, Byron, Lehkonen, Hemsky.... 7 wingers for 6 spots in the top 9.

Then you have Hudon who should make the team.

Now while Simmonds would be the third best winger on that list, its just not a need right now. Help up the middle is really what the Habs need.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
It's Eklund so I take this with a huge grain of salt. That said Philly needs to get an offensive guy and getting rid of 1 of their defensive prospects would make sense. Montreal needs a defensive prospect to replace Sergachev so who knows?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Drouin + Sanheim instead of Paccioretty and Sergachev?

I guess it depends on one's view of Sanheim.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's Eklund so I take this with a huge grain of salt. That said Philly needs to get an offensive guy and getting rid of 1 of their defensive prospects would make sense. Montreal needs a defensive prospect to replace Sergachev so who knows?

They are adding the #2 pick in the draft and a top 5 SHL scorer.

If Hextall was REALLY worried, he would not have traded Schenn for picks. Common sense guys.

Drydenwasthebest

Jun 16, 2009
What you described is basically Drouin for Sergachev.

Sigh...yes, Drouin who has never scored 60 + points or 30+ goals is exactly like Pacioretty. :help:

Sanheim would need a serious "+" to get a guy who has scored 30+ goals in 5 of the last 6 seasons. Come on, I know people hate the Habs and their fans, but be real. Even if you do not "need" a 30+ goal scoring forward who is defensively reliable, you give up a prospect like Sanheim and a 3rd for him while laughing at the idiot GM you just screwed.

Drydenwasthebest

Jun 16, 2009

Just tell which futures you eant for Simmonds and I will kidnap Bergevin and make the deal. Who do you want??

Drydenwasthebest

Jun 16, 2009
Even Simmonds to Montreal doesn't really work.

Assuming Montreal plays Galchenyuk at Centre, and not wing (which is far from a guarantee)... you still have (in no particular order):

Pacioretty, Drouin, Gallagher, Shaw, Byron, Lehkonen, Hemsky.... 7 wingers for 6 spots in the top 9.

Then you have Hudon who should make the team.

Now while Simmonds would be the third best winger on that list, its just not a need right now. Help up the middle is really what the Habs need.

I would give futures and prospects for Simmonds and then use Pacioretty in a package to go after a center.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
To Montreal : Wayne Simmonds + Sean Couturier + Travis Sanheim.
To Philadelphia : Max Pacioretty + Andrew Shaw + Noah Juulsen + 1st pick 2018.

Drouin - Galchenyuk - Simmonds.
Lehkonen - Couturier - Gallagher.
Hudon - Danault - Byron.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad