Confirmed with Link: [MTL/NYI] Thomas Vanek & cond'l 5th for Sebastian Collberg & cond'l 2nd PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
as pointed out by some smart guy (other than me) on twitter - habs had 3 quality 2nd rounders last year, they could afford to deal this one

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Where does this come from exactly ? :laugh:

Because at first glance it look like something straight out of a Raelian or scientologist cult or something

Tim and Eric, Awesome Show Great Job. Kind of a dead pan humour stoner variety show that regularly features guys like John C. Reilly, Will Ferrell, Zach Galifianakis, and even Weird Al and Levar Burton etc in weird roles (everyone loves Dr. Steve Brule!). But seriously, look it up, get stoned, and sit down to a season or so before forming an opinion because it's a bit of an acquired taste. :)

bennitez7

Oct 24, 2011
Vienna
It's a bit off topic but can someone tell me why Vanek was drafted in 2003 and not in 2002? He is almost 1 year older than all the other guys (Fleury, Staal, Horton, Zherdev,...).

Thanks for your answers.

By the way nice trade for Montreal.

LLoyd Christmas I

Jul 11, 2013

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
It's a bit off topic but can someone tell me why Vanek was drafted in 2003 and not in 2002? He is almost 1 year older than all the other guys (Fleury, Staal, Horton, Zherdev,...).

Thanks for your answers.

By the way nice trade for Montreal.

"Thanks to one of his father's former Czech teammates, Vanek hooked up with a bantam team in Red Deer, Alberta, at age 14. Two years later, he moved to Sioux Falls to play Junior A. By 2002 Vanek wanted to experience college life, so he decided not to opt into the NHL draft that year. Recruited by Motzko, Vanek warmed to Minnesota after seeing its passion for hockey on his first visit to the Minneapolis campus. Vanek also read up on the Golden Gophers' history, which included 18 trips to the Frozen Four and four NCAA titles. "People breathe hockey in Minnesota," says Vanek. "They are so into it."

(source)

So it was as simple as that, though there's no doubting that his draft stock took a major rise by winning MVP honours and scoring the game-winning goals in the semi and finals of the Frozen Four with the Gophers. Compare with David Backes, who was right behind Vanek in USHL scoring in '02, but drafted in the 2nd round out of the USHL in '03 while Vanek went top 5.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
"Thanks to one of his father's former Czech teammates, Vanek hooked up with a bantam team in Red Deer, Alberta, at age 14. Two years later, he moved to Sioux Falls to play Junior A. By 2002 Vanek wanted to experience college life, so he decided not to opt into the NHL draft that year. Recruited by Motzko, Vanek warmed to Minnesota after seeing its passion for hockey on his first visit to the Minneapolis campus. Vanek also read up on the Golden Gophers' history, which included 18 trips to the Frozen Four and four NCAA titles. "People breathe hockey in Minnesota," says Vanek. "They are so into it."

(source)

So it was as simple as that, though there's no doubting that his draft stock took a major rise by winning MVP honours and scoring the game-winning goals in the semi and finals of the Frozen Four with the Gophers. Compare with David Backes, who was right behind Vanek in USHL scoring in '02, but drafted in the 2nd round out of the USHL in '03 while Vanek went top 5.

If he's impressed by how much minnesota lives and breathes hockey....

PricePkPatch*

If he's impressed by how much minnesota lives and breathes hockey....

:laugh:

Oh man. I am sad we removed the statues from the Place du Canadien. We could have told him he'd get one if he makes his mark here :naughty:

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I'm fully expecting Vanek to get a pretty big ovation in the first game back at the Bell Center. If so, he may fall in love at first sight.

habitue*

as pointed out by some smart guy (other than me) on twitter - habs had 3 quality 2nd rounders last year, they could afford to deal this one

DelaRose is already better than Collberg. Lehkonen, too. And we have Andrighetto in Hamilton who is as talented if not better than Collberg.

lovemynephews

Jun 10, 2011
Tampa Florida
Vanek

Its a nice gamble. Out of our higher end prospects, collberg is the one I have the most questions about.

That being said, I hope vanek actually plays with this club, rather than coasting through to ensure he stays healthy for july 1.

There are some question marks about his character (especially with the stories that came out during the Olympics), can't deny the talent though.

I'm pretty sure he will not sign with the Habs, I think he wants to go to Minnesota or possibly Dallas. hope you didn't give up a good player for him. I smell a rental here. A lot of pressure playing for the Habs, a lot of former player say so.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I'm pretty sure he will not sign with the Habs, I think he wants to go to Minnesota or possibly Dallas. hope you didn't give up a good player for him. I smell a rental here. A lot of pressure playing for the Habs, a lot of former player say so.

In general, this is the best place to play when you are winning.
The worst place to play when you are losing.

habitue*

Man, I love Bergevin.

REALLY. He sticks to his guns, he's not willing to endanger our future for a bloody rental.

He is a rental, indeed. Hopefully, he's gonna help this team win at least one round of Playoffs hockey, maybe more.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
I think in Bergy mind he has 30-50 % chances of signing Vanek at the end of the season or something like that. He will probably try to show Vanek the class of the organization and all the advantage you can have playing here (Maybe even talk to some businessmens for future advertisement contracts). He got the time to pull the seduction show. Atleast that's what I would try !

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
I think in Bergy mind he has 30-50 % chances of signing Vanek at the end of the season or something like that. He will probably try to show Vanek the class of the organization and all the advantage you can have playing here (Maybe even talk to some businessmens for future advertisement contracts). He got the time to pull the seduction show. Atleast that's what I would try !

Well Bergy also has to watch Vanek closely and decide for himself if he wants to extend Vanek.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc

The best seduction show would be a long playoff run. Vanek will want to sign in MTL after the ovation he will get after scoring the GWG in overtime in game 7 to eliminate Boston...

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Michael Augello ‏@MikeInBuffalo 58 min

@TSNBobMcKenzie says that the #leafs & #wild had offers for Vanek significantly better than the MTL's, but NYI would not retain any salary.

If like to know when and where Bob said this I find it hard to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad