Confirmed with Link: [MTL/NYI] Thomas Vanek & cond'l 5th for Sebastian Collberg & cond'l 2nd PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
So basically the trade as it stands

Tomas Vanek for Sebastian Collberg
If we make the playoffs, we send 2nd round 2014 to NYI (#45-60) for NYI 5th round pick (#120-130).

We also have negotiation rights until June 1. If we cannot sign Vanek, we can deal his rights for 5th round pick like we did with The Wiz.

I think we can get a third for his rights.

I have no evidence here, but there are plenty of precedents:

Could have been be a second for his rights, , except for his I want to live in Minnesota where I grew up wife. The family could have an adventure in Montreal for 5 years, living on 7 mill a year, the kids learning french and having a great experience. But likely? No, she couldn't handle it. :shakehead American hockey wives...

Canadian teams need to factor the American groupie hockey wife problem into every negotiation. It's a true pain in the ass.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I have no problem with that. I love players who step up in pressure situations. Gainey should have re-signed Kovy. We wouldn't have 5 years of Gio.

But we would have witnessed his obvious decline. For a forward who is clearly skilled enough to carry himself, his production in Ottawa dropped off, then he went to the KHL, and came back last season only to retire after having only a minimal role in Florida. Brian Gionta is not a guy I like, but he is still playing the game while Kovalev is not.

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
I think we can get a third for his rights.

I have no evidence here, but there are plenty of precedents:

Could have been be a second for his rights, , except for his I want to live in Minnesota where I grew up wife. The family could have an adventure in Montreal for 5 years, living on 7 mill a year, the kids learning french and having a great experience. But likely? No, she couldn't handle it. :shakehead American hockey wives...

Canadian teams need to factor the American groupie hockey wife problem into every negotiation. It's a true pain in the ass.

They also have 3 young children, so perhaps his wife would like to be close to her family so they can be around their children. You know, real life stuff.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If the idea is that we know we're not going to keep him 'cause he really wants to go to Minny and Minny is open at getting him.....why in the world would a team pay a 3rd for his rights if he's going to Minny anyway?

There's only 1 target. If Vanek goes to Minny, let's target Moulson.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
They also have 3 young children, so perhaps his wife would like to be close to her family so they can be around their children. You know, real life stuff.

I think a lot of us forget that. We think "hell if someone paid me millions of dollars, I'd play in Siberia". When the truth is, the majority once they've been playing for a few years, already are set for life. If they haven't been stupid and invested their money properly. So why not play in an area that you and your family are comfortable.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006

Don't forget he has Briere as a teammate now that did that (going somewhere because of his wife) and it didn't turn out too well... we'll see...

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Didn't comment here since the trade, but I've got to say it's very hard to be disappointed at this trade... Was extatic when I first heard it on Sportsnet...

I just wanted to mention how the fact we acquired the 4th best goal-scorer in the NHL since 2005-2006, and that we play him with Plekanec, will not only provide us plenty of exciting subjects to discuss, but also tell us a lot about what Plekanec is really made of... I mean, there's no excuses anymore. You add a guy of this caliber and play Tomas/Thomas together, there's no reason why Plekanec shouldn't produce more, right?

I mean... if he doesn't put up at least decent offensive numbers with Vanek, and fails to make his new winger produce, can't we conclude that, after all, it's kind of useless to be dependant of Plekanec in an OFFENSIVE role, that it's time we get a 2nd centerman who can distribute the puck and find his wingers (Galchenyuk), and that in the end, Plekanec can still be a very good defensive-minded center, but that at this point, it's not fair ANYWAY to give him the best wingers of the team like everyone would like to see Therrien do?

Just asking...

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Didn't comment here since the trade, but I've got to say it's very hard to be disappointed at this trade... Was extatic when I first heard it on Sportsnet...

I just wanted to mention how the fact we acquired the 4th best goal-scorer in the NHL since 2005-2006, and that we play him with Plekanec, will not only provide us plenty of exciting subjects to discuss, but also tell us a lot about what Plekanec is really made of... I mean, there's no excuses anymore. You add a guy of this caliber and play Tomas/Thomas together, there's no reason why Plekanec shouldn't produce more, right?

I mean... if he doesn't put up at least decent offensive numbers with Vanek, and fails to make his new winger produce, can't we conclude that, after all, it's kind of useless to be dependant of Plekanec in an OFFENSIVE role, that it's time we get a 2nd centerman who can distribute the puck and find his wingers (Galchenyuk), and that in the end, Plekanec can still be a very good defensive-minded center, but that at this point, it's not fair ANYWAY to give him the best wingers of the team like everyone would like to see Therrien do?

Just asking...

Agree on Plekanec. No excuse.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If Minnesota wants Vanek why wouldn't they of just traded for him instead of Moulson?

Wasn't much of a difference in what they gave up compared to what we did plus Backstrom out for the year would've probably gave them enough cap space.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
If Minnesota wants Vanek why wouldn't they of just traded for him instead of Moulson?

Wasn't much of a difference in what they gave up compared to what we did plus Backstrom out for the year would've probably gave them enough cap space.

They have no chance of going deep in the playoffs with their goalie situation. They're test driving Moulson to see if he's useful going forward. They already know Vanek is theirs if they want him.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I remember reading that Minnesotta did make an offer for Vanek though. They wanted the Isles to retain salary.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
If the idea is that we know we're not going to keep him 'cause he really wants to go to Minny and Minny is open at getting him.....why in the world would a team pay a 3rd for his rights if he's going to Minny anyway?
There's only 1 target. If Vanek goes to Minny, let's target Moulson.

Bergevin should still offer the rights to Vanek to a team: Minnesota. And if I'm Chuck Fletcher, I do the trade just to ensure that Vanek doesn't talk to any other team. The trade can even be conditional upon Vanek signing with them.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Bergevin should still offer the rights to Vanek to a team: Minnesota. And if I'm Chuck Fletcher, I do the trade just to ensure that Vanek doesn't talk to any other team. The trade can even be conditional upon Vanek signing with them.

Vanek's right for Moulson's.

PricePkPatch*

Didn't Dale Weise garner 3 trade threads? This bum Vanek is still only at 2:shakehead

It's because we didn't traded away DIAZ SUPERSTAR ON WAIVER for Vanek.

'cause, clearly, he was such a great part of our lineup and people wanted to ***** about how critical he was to our process.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Good for you I guess, he was perhaps the most spectacular forward we had since Guy Lafleur. But maybe you don't like watching talented players. Needs more Karackter I suppose.

People say this a lot, and it makes me wonder if Habs fans forget how good Richer was at one point. He was dynamic in the late 80s. Size, speed and accuracy. Maybe it didn't last very long but boy, when he was good? He was good.

habitue*

People say this a lot, and it makes me wonder if Habs fans forget how good Richer was at one point. He was dynamic in the late 80s. Size, speed and accuracy. Maybe it didn't last very long but boy, when he was good? He was good.

He's got all the tools but not the toolbox. Even then, he was able to keep shining with NJ. What if ...?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Snow said he was 22nd on their draft list.

I then believe it should put an end to "But we could have build a stronger package than this or that team". It's not about what WE think is a better package. It's what the opposing team wants. Of course, if Toronto would have offered Reilly, surely the Isles would not remember who Collberg is. Yet, it's irrelevant has everytime we build our own package, we never overpay. We always try as close a comparable than we can. And in that scenario, if it's too close to call, chances are, it's NOT a better package. 'Cause what determine the needed package is what the other team wanted.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Just wanted to link this in explanation of the Vanek for Collberg trade....Just says that Collberg was REALLY targeted by the Isles.

On the 30 thoughts column, mid-column.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...thoughts-canucks-brass-must-resist-panic.html

Unless I missed something, where the Islanders would have taken Collberg in the 1st or 2nd round (according to "a couple of scouts" or Garth Snow, whatever) really doesn't say much about whether they would have gladly accepted any of Beaulieu, Tinordi, De la Rose, Lehkonen, or McCarron instead or not in exchange for Vanek. If someone in the Habs' brass had the knowledge and foresight to make that part of their pitch for Vanek, they deserve a lot of credit for avoiding having to let go of any of the "more promising" guys (so far, of course) in the deal. Sucks to give up a good one - especially a skilled R(/L)Wer with a trigger - but relatively speaking we came out pretty well on this one (again, so far).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->