Confirmed with Link: [MTL/NYI] Thomas Vanek & cond'l 5th for Sebastian Collberg & cond'l 2nd PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Only one thing was better than that GDT: the Rangers GDT.

(Oh and being there, which I was :yo:)

That was back when I worked at the Bell Centre. I took my break in the third period (which was decided with me and my colleagues at the jersey store before the game even started).

Was ****ing awesome!

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Good for you I guess, he was perhaps the most spectacular forward we had since Guy Lafleur. But maybe you don't like watching talented players. Needs more Karackter I suppose.

Not an effective hockey player but unfortunately it was the dark days of team history. When the team gets run into the ground crap like this passes as 'spectacular' I suppose . Another mercenary footnoted in the teams history .

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Not an effective hockey player but unfortunately it was the dark days of team history. When the team gets run into the ground crap like this passes as 'spectacular' I suppose . Another mercenary footnoted in the teams history .

No the true dark ages was this :

Zednik-Perreault-Petrov
Savage-Gilmour-Juneau
Bulis-Ribeiro-Dackell
Odjick-Kilger-Asham

Rivet-Brisebois
Markov-Quintal
Dykhuis-Robidas
Souray

Theodore
Hackett

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

Zednik-Perreault-Petrov
Savage-Gilmour-Juneau
Bulis-Ribeiro-Dackell
Odjick-Kilger-Asham

Rivet-Brisebois
Markov-Quintal
Dykhuis-Robidas
Souray

Theodore
Hackett

Made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Not bad for a dark age.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec

Thats revisionist hockey history.

The Habs were a much better hockey team after acquiring Kovalev, we were a joke in the late 1990s and early 2000s, when Gainey brought Kovalev it meant we actually geared up for the playoffs and played to win for once.

And he was a very effective player that also showed up in the playoffs. Your memories are plagued with that one year were he hit a million posts, couldn't bury it and had to play with Friggin Samsonov to make things worst.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
DelaRose is already better than Collberg. Lehkonen, too. And we have Andrighetto in Hamilton who is as talented if not better than Collberg.

I'd have to agree that the surplus of interesting prospects makes the loss of Collberg perhaps the "easiest to swallow" of them all. It's kind of like us getting Eller because St. Louis had obviously prioritized guys like Berglund and Perron (forget about Oshie/Backes - maybe Steen) higher at the time, so only Eller had a chance of being available unless things got really interesting, I'm sure. Would have been nice to have seen the development of Collberg "here", but if he's #4 priority on that list of names right now, then it is what it is, and best of luck to him. Until the picks are resolved, I'm happy enough with Vanek for a while at the expense of Collberg's future career. Couldn't have hoped to shoehorn them all in eventually anyway, and I'd rather see the odd stab at success with moves like this than idle acceptance of a patient long haul. :)

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Zednik-Perreault-Petrov
Savage-Gilmour-Juneau
Bulis-Ribeiro-Dackell
Odjick-Kilger-Asham

Rivet-Brisebois
Markov-Quintal
Dykhuis-Robidas
Souray

Theodor
Hackett

That wasn't really the lineup, this was the lineup heading into the playoffs pre-Koivu return:

Petrov-Gilmour-Zednik
Revolving door of players (Ribeiro, Hossa, Audette, Asham,Poulin,Lindsey)-Perreault-Berezin/revolving door of players
Bulis-Juneau-Dackell
Odjick/Lindsey-Van Allen-Kilger

Dykhuis-Brisebois (imo the worst first pairing in the league)
Markov-Rivet
Souray (back from injury)/Robidas/Traverse-Quintal

A bad team almost entirely relying on a Hasek like season from Theodore and a win streak to end the season. I remember being sure we'd miss the playoffs when the Rangers got Bure.

That 2007-2008 season Kovalev carried the team to a first place finish. The team had great depth, and were the best passing team in the league back then, but he was a system maker that year, great on both ends of the ice. His point total didn't do justice to how good he was.

We were also far from the dark days of 99-01. In 04, the team was already on the upswing with Claude Julien and had a great defensive squad, the top 6 was playing exceptional and made a then bottom 5 goaltender in Theodore look like he was back playing at a Hasek level, when in reality his deficiencies and lack of work ethic were masked by the teams exceptionnal defensive play. Too bad Gainey was so short sighted in his entire tenure and fired Julien.

Nom de Guerre

You Had ONE JOB
Apr 12, 2013
Hochelaga Archip.
ah yes kovalev...the memories....that one time he elbowed darcy tucker in the head was great...that one time he got "tapped" in the hand and lost the puck and cost us a playoff game well that wasnt great....but the lolz was when gainey asked him to just stay home

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
If like to know when and where Bob said this I find it hard to believe.

hockey central also mentioned that this was part of the reason why the prices were so low. not many team had the cap space to absorb salary and no one wanted to eat salary. in fact, im pretty garth snow specifically said this was a reason why vanek eventually ended up with the habs.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
No love for Kovalev here. He was an okay player that looking back didn't really bring much. A couple playoff series was cool, but now that the dust settled, I really don't care about that era of hockey.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
So basically the trade as it stands

Tomas Vanek for Sebastian Collberg
If we make the playoffs, we send 2nd round 2014 to NYI (#45-60) for NYI 5th round pick (#120-130).

We also have negotiation rights until June 1. If we cannot sign Vanek, we can deal his rights for 5th round pick like we did with The Wiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad