Nov 9, 2003
Montreal
:laugh:

Subban.png

Not surprising, PK always has the puck.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
While I don't believe Montreal got "fleeced", I am very pleased overall. Subban's style fits the system much better. In other words, if our #1 D is going to play 25-28 mins, he needs to have wheels and great hands. Weber is a fantastic stay-at-home rock with a rocket launcher. That was perfect for Trotz. Not for Lavi.

I did listen to the presser yesterday. One thing I noticed was that Poile was really adamant about praising Subban's constant effort on the ice. I am now wondering how much Weber's playoff performance factored into the decision. I'd say, of the 14 playoff games played this year, Weber was very average in about 10 of them. Really disappointing considering this was the greatest run in Preds history.

One big factor to consider for Montreal is the money part. In actual cash (including bonus), Montreal will pay Weber $18 mil less than what Subban will get. Subban also carries over a million more cap hit.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
This is a win win, right or wrong Habs are building a team to play a certain style. Therrien trying to push a square peg in Subban into a round hole was not working. Coach was going nowhere and PKs game was suffering. He will do great in Nashville and help grow the sport in the U.S. Weber is not a washed up bum, he will fit better with how Montreal wants to play and he will be a great mentor to the young D we have coming up.

Either way it won't mean anything if MB doesn't add 2 legitimate Top 6 fwds between now and opening night

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I'm still not sold on how to feel about this trade. I have a lot of non-rational feels that don't have a whole lot to do with hockey right now. Instead of dwelling on Subban I'm going to look at the positives that Weber can bring the Habs short term.

Powerplay - Will be better. It's automatically an upgrade right now. Weber's shot is going to score powerplay goals. It's going to score Gallagher powerplay goals, and it's going to score Shaw powerplay goals. It's going to open up space for Pacioretty and Gallagher. Weber's shot is going to have a big impact on this team.

Net Presence - Weber will clear the front of the net like nobodies business. If Carey can see it he'll usually stop it. Weber protecting the front of the net will likely be a very good thing.

Breakouts - Why I'm not as concerned as everybody else; Price loves to start our breakouts. The puck moves from out goaltender to a forward probably more often than any other team.

I'm still sad to see Subban go, but i'll remain cautiously optimistic over the short term.

Are we really relying on on our goalie for breakouts now? Habs's are in a bad spot if it's true. I hope we trade for Cam Fowler or sign Brian Campbell or Sergachev somehow join the league next year and become as good as Gotisbehere, because otherwise... I mean our best puck-mover at the moment is Barberio, a guy which was in the AHL last year. Beaulieu has explosiveness but his decisions with the puck are average, and Markov is slow as molasse

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Bergevin was shopping Subban but scarred off Edmonton, the team most interested in getting him, by asking for (way) too much.

Once Edmonton backed out and he had committed to trading Subban, he took the next best offer.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
As a Preds fan, the shock has just worn off, so I figured I'd chime in here.

I'm ecstatic about this trade, and I say this as one of the biggest Weber fans around. The list of guys I would have traded Weber for was very small, but Subban was on it.

IMHO, having seen just about every game of Weber's career and plenty of Subban - Subban is a better overall D-man than Weber.

Weber does a couple of things that are absolutely top of the NHL level - he's got probably the best shot from the point in the league, he's a physical, intimidating presence, he's great in the locker room with younger guys, he's got great intangibles. At worst, for the next 7+ years, you can plop him at the point on the PP and bombs away for 15+ goals a year.

He is slowing down though. He's not a puck mover, never really had been. And, for the first time in his career last year, he would go through stretches of absolutely sub par play. Is this a career decline or just a bumb in the road?

I don't think Montreal got fleeced, but as a Preds fan, I think we got the better end of the deal.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Weber has gone way under the radar because he is Nashville or a lot of people only follow one or 2 teams. I'd have him on my team over Subban every day and twice on sundays. Yes the contract is something else but there always seems to be a way around that. And 30 is not old guys, esp for a dman. Come on.

Everything Subban does is a distraction to the team. Wether his intentions are good are not, the guy is just an attention monger. From the clothes to his on ice flailing, even the 10$ mil donation was a big attention grab. He could have just as well donated privately and not made a big deal about it but it was just as much about him as the Charity. Who knows what actually goes on in the locker room but I wouldn't be surprised if his presence alone rubbed guys the wrong way. Drama Queen. Might work in Southern US where Bettman wants all the attention he can get for the NHL.

He donated to charity for the attention?

I love that you're spewing that nonsense like you know without a shadow of a doubt.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

I'm ecstatic about this trade, and I say this as one of the biggest Weber fans around. The list of guys I would have traded Weber for was very small, but Subban was on it.

IMHO, having seen just about every game of Weber's career and plenty of Subban - Subban is a better overall D-man than Weber.

Weber does a couple of things that are absolutely top of the NHL level - he's got probably the best shot from the point in the league, he's a physical, intimidating presence, he's great in the locker room with younger guys, he's got great intangibles. At worst, for the next 7+ years, you can plop him at the point on the PP and bombs away for 15+ goals a year.

He is slowing down though. He's not a puck mover, never really had been. And, for the first time in his career last year, he would go through stretches of absolutely sub par play. Is this a career decline or just a bumb in the road?

I don't think Montreal got fleeced, but as a Preds fan, I think we got the better end of the deal.

This sums it up perfectly. Weber does things that are elite, but I feel like relies on his partner (whether it be Suter or Josi) to do the carrying out/breaking out. Even though I'm not a Habs fan, that's what worries me the most about Weber.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Sometimes you just need to work it out with your distraction. I sure wish the Bruins had with Seguin.

Tacos

Wheeeee
Feb 26, 2012
Are we really relying on on our goalie for breakouts now? Habs's are in a bad spot if it's true. I hope we trade for Cam Fowler or sign Brian Campbell or Sergachev somehow join the league next year and become as good as Gotisbehere, because otherwise... I mean our best puck-mover at the moment is Barberio, a guy which was in the AHL last year. Beaulieu has explosiveness but his decisions with the puck are average, and Markov is slow as molasse

No one said anything about relying on Price for it except for your insinuation.

Price's puck handling is a bonus.
It's almost as if Petry and Markov aren't on the team based on who you say is the best puck moving D

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
The trade has nothign to do with Weber and his value. Habvs are gettign a top D man and Elite d men like him can play great hockey well into their thirties.

what bothers habs fansis that there is no reason to move. the sap hit isnt that different. and should weber retired at 36 or 37... Nashville gets the recapture penalty. so it comes down to politics. and it looks like its a case where management and ownership chose the coach over a player. a star player to boot. and the last time this decision was made.. we lost roy over tremblay who was fired a year later.

I cant stand our coach but he better last more then two years or it was all for nothing.

for the first few years its a lateral move. Weber gonna prob put up mega points and destroy some eastern conference forwards. and next year when markov is gone we need to replace that kind of quality with someone.

pretty lateral move which doesnt really hurt or improve the team short term.

in five years well revisit for sure and see the difference.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
That's funny because the narrative on the other side changed, too. People saying Pernell would never be traded since he was the face of the franchise and best D in the league are now spinning this as a positive.:dunno:

oh the horror

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009

We are not relying on it. But it's what happens. It happened all the time with Subban and it'll happen all the time with Weber. Price moves the puck. It's how he plays. It'll mitigate the need for Weber to be the puck moving defencemen. I'm not saying it's a positive that Weber isn't a break out defencemen. But because of Carey's playing style, it's not as big of a deal here.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013

Funny how Now THAT Weber is a Hab HF claims that Subban is now better .
But before the trade it was just the opposite.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2057109

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad