Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NSH] PK Subban for Shea Weber - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Am i the only one thinking that hall+4th and maybe a little more for Subban would have been a much better deal for both Montreal and Edm than what they both did?

Hall+4th+ 2nd rounder+Ference(cap dump) for Subban
Drai+Yak for Larsson+2nd rounder?

Lucic-Mcdavid-Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-?

Klefbom-Subban
Sekera-Larsson

Most oiler fans were prepared to give up Hall, the 4th and something else (some said Nurse) to get Subban. These two teams should have cut the Devils, preds middle men out and made a deal.

A fail by both of their GMs' imo.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Good post. Tough to disagree with any of it, except for the cap recapture stuff. I honestly don't see that being as big a deal as things will change.

Looking forward for Habs to trade Weber back to Nashville for a king's ransom when he decides to retire at the age of 39

This might end up the worst trade in MTL Canadiens history

that won't beat the Roy trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
What was shown in the graph is a real good indication, not the full picture... Just a little exemple:

Giveaway per 60 Min in 15-16:
Subban = 3.55
Weber = 1.18

High giveaways shows similar information to what the graphs showed....Subban has the puck on his stick a lot more than Weber.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I don't get it, why? Do the Habs despise Subban THIS much?!? Mind, I love Weber, but he's older and the contract isn't too friendly either...

Maxtorres

Feb 7, 2016
Blois
Great trade for Hubs
+
"Saku Koivu style" Captain
world hardest shot Dmen
great checker
excellent example and mentor for youth department
15-20g per season Dmen
Good special teams abilities
will save key qualities (shot, positioning, leadership) in 35+ y/o
available to trade and movement (no NTC/NMC)

-
no advertising face
no Pookey own goal protection
no need to resign in 2022

Bonus
from 2023 Nashville will hunting Shea's contract as a "Antiretiring programme for Saving from 8m to 24m capspace". Hubs GM theoretically can asking a 1st round pick from Nashville in exchange of 3 last years of Shea's contract

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Personality conflict

I'm a jets fan but I do cheer for the habs in large part because of PKS. I like his personality and I didn't like it when the Habs management said no more slapping hands with Price at he end of a game win as its show boating.

We see this in every other sport and the GM is thinking that this doesn't fit with the culture of the habs. BS.

Weber probably is a better fit as far as personality than subban with habs management but is it the right culture they are trying to set?

Fire the whole management team. I don't think they represent the culture of the habs/the city and the province.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
As a Oiler's............???

Am i the only one thinking that hall+4th and maybe a little more for Subban would have been a much better deal for both Montreal and Edm than what they both did?

As a Oilers' fan I agree 100%...........why trade a younger defencemen for a older defencemen?

Does it improve the Canadians by that much?

A Subban for Hull + trade would be much better for both clubs.

This makes MB look like a fool ...............that does not know what he is doing.........especially after denying that PK was not on the trading block.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa

As a Oilers' fan I agree 100%...........why trade a younger defencemen for a older defencemen?

This makes MB look like a fool ...............that does not know what he is doing.........especially after denying that PK was not on the trading block.

While Hall would be a huge upgrade to the habs' forward group- who would fill the void left by Pernell? Weber as least does that now, and in the near future.

Certainly would have been better for the Oilers- although I think Larsson will impress, and improve.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
You really think this team makes the playoffs? They just traded the goalie's best friend...lol

For a d-man who's game has gone downhill the last 4 years. I can't stop laughing about this, brutal

Downhill is like best D man in league to top 10.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015

Hall+ Klefbom instead of the 4th overall

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Weber has gone "downhill for the past 4 years" if all you do is stat-watch. Otherwise, he has been fine.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015
What i don't understand is what it was not Draisaitl or RNH instead of Hall? They are not enough to get Larsson or Chiarelli value them more than Hall?

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
I don't care if this trade is a win, lose or draw for MTL/NSH. This is a win for all other fans. This is old school trade! :yo: It might take 5-10 years to see another one like this.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Y1PN5kP.jpg

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Weber has gone "downhill for the past 4 years" if all you do is stat-watch. Otherwise, he has been fine.

I disagree. Watching ~20 Preds game this year he just isn't as dominant as he used to be. I used to consider him the best in the league and now he belongs in the latter half of the top-10 in my opinion.

During the Sharks vs Predators series, Nashville fans were fully admitting and supporting the belief that Weber had been going downhill, I remember that vividly.

Now with that being said, let's not get it twisted. Weber is still a very good player, he's elite and there's no denying that. But he is slowing down, he's been showing it over the past couple of years.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
I disagree. Watching ~20 Preds game this year he just isn't as dominant as he used to be. I used to consider him the best in the league and now he belongs in the latter half of the top-10 in my opinion.

During the Sharks vs Predators series, Nashville fans were fully admitting and supporting the belief that Weber had been going downhill, I remember that vividly.

Now with that being said, let's not get it twisted. Weber is still a very good player, he's elite and there's no denying that. But he is slowing down, he's been showing it over the past couple of years.

I did not watch Weber before but I did watch a lot Preds game last year. I came away impressed with Josi. Not so much with Weber. Don't get me wrong, he is still a very very good defenseman, but I think he started to decline now and that's why I am so upset with the trade.:shakehead

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
My 2 cents as a Habs fan :

Subban is younger, more dynamic, an advanced stats beast and a marketing goldmine. He shows up every goddamn game and can play 30 minutes of relentless hockey. His problem is clearly his attitude and the multiple interviews with NSH and MTL players since yesterday show more than ever how little respect he gets in the league. None of his teammates showed up for his big announcement last year, Therrien did not make a case for him to be on Team Canada's roster and at the lowest point of our season last year he implied he was doing his job because his stats were good... I guess he sounds kinda ******* at times and he certainly did not show leadership to help the team go through last year's No-Carey-Price crisis. On the other hand, isn't it Michel Therrien's job to manage players's temper?? PK Subban was by far our best player last year yet the coach just could not deal with his extrovert attitude... then again we've seen that before with Therrien. I feel sad things end like this with a guy who clearly wanted to be here but was not showing it the right way.

Now we get Weber, an 8 time Norris top 5, leadership god, Team Canada first pairer, better goal scorer and much more reliable defensively. Yes he is 3 years older and I believe he has a minimum of 2-3 years of prime years left but he will bring a lot to a young defensive corps and will certainly help forge Paccioretty's captain character. His contract is not so bad either : because of the huge AAV vs Cap Hit gap, the Preds will get all of the cap recapture if he retires 5 years from now. I believe we are a better team until then.

Bergevin is betting that we will win a Cup soon, if we don't we will regret this for a long time.

The Habs are going nowhere with the current lineup. They will still have a hard time to win the Cup even with some upgrade on top 6 forward tommorow.

Opeth

Jun 27, 2007
This was not a 'Hockey Deal,' this was a 'we need a change in leadership' move. There are so many factors involved in this trade with hockey being a very distant reason on the list. Does it suck, yes, should it have gone this way, no, but it is what it is. A lot of crap is coming to the surface as we speak. Nashville is getting a great player, but you're not just getting a hockey player, you are getting a brand that is larger than life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad