Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NSH] PK Subban for Shea Weber - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoss

May 25, 2011
If he didn't want the attention it would have been an anonymous donation.
Not necessarily. Case in point, when the Sedins went to donate their couple million or whatever it was to the Vancouver children's charity they initially wished to do it anonymously but people from the charity itself asked if they would do it publicly to help generate additional interest/attention for the charity, and so the twins acquiesced and made their donation publicly.

How much do people think this will effect the likelihood of Price resigning in 2 years? If at all..

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Not necessarily. Case in point, when the Sedins went to donate their couple million or whatever it was to the Vancouver children's charity they initially wished to do it anonymously but people from the charity itself asked if they would do it publicly to help generate additional interest/attention for the charity, and so the twins acquiesced and made their donation publicly.

How much do people think this will effect the likelihood of Price resigning in 2 years? If at all..

Thats the tricky thing with CSR and it always has been - do people and organisations do it for the cause or because of the good PR? I say; who cares? As long as they do it

yoss

May 25, 2011
Thats the tricky thing with CSR and it always has been - do people and organisations do it for the cause or because of the good PR? I say; who cares? As long as they do it

Yeah exactly how i see it. You want star athlete role models like that for the kids in your community whether they're in a hospital or not. 10 million Ferraro or someone earlier on the radio was saying is the largest donation to a charity by a Canadian athlete in our country's history.

I'm a much bigger Preds fan now myself, no slight to Weber of course who's also a great player. Could see Subban fitting in very well with the team's style offensively.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Are you asking because Subban was great on the ice? Weber isn't a nobody. He's an elite defenseman in the league.

Are you asking because Price and Subban are close friends? Price and Weber are closer, really. They're both from BC and train together in the offseason. In fact, Carey and Shea were gonna meet up the morning after the trade.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Calm down everyone. Weber is a better defenseman right now, allows Montreal to have more cap space and coincidentally, Montreal's window is in the next 3 years. This is a good move for Montreal. Maybe value is a bit off but come on this is two superstars. This is nothing close to a ''fleece''

I agree.

Weber will bring so much more to the Habs in the near future.

PK was my favorite Habs player since Roy. A real money player. But for a reason i ignore, he was a cancer in the room. As a fan, i'm cyring right now. But from a team POV, Habs got better with this trade.

Let's see what happens in the immediate. Maybe , just maybe, we can be contender and make some noise in the east.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Are you asking because Subban was great on the ice? Weber isn't a nobody. He's an elite defenseman in the league.

Are you asking because Price and Subban are close friends? Price and Weber are closer, really. They're both from BC and train together in the offseason. In fact, Carey and Shea were gonna meet up the morning after the trade.

yeah like i said in my next post, no slight to Shea who's obviously a baller dman himself, different style of #1 obvs., yet still 3-4 years older.

And question about Price was just curiosity, didn't know.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Don't like this deal much for Montreal. Weber is signed to for like another decade and literally into his 40's. PK is signed until he's like 2 years older than what Weber is now.

If Weber wasn't signed for another thousand years, I think this would make perfect sense. But the term on his deal is too long. He's still amazing, although he seems like he'll decline faster and at a younger age than PK will.

Why do Bergevin and Therrien hate PK so much?

They're two incompetent hockey personnel with a lot of power and a TON of bias. They actually hate any display of talent. Everyone with talent (that shows it), gets shown the door or the bench. They honestly have no clue what they're doing, and I've said this since ≈ Christmas. I honestly didn't think Bergevin could **** it up this badly, but there he goes. He gave me so much hope as a Habs fan after 2012. Now, I can't wait to see him fired so I can once again cheer for the Habs.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
"Well it happened fast... I was drunk out of my mind. Heard Shea Weber and offered up Subban + Price. Poile was nice enough not to take advantage and just fleeced us for Subban instead."

Sounds about right.

Doesn't Bergevin look like a deer in the headlights in that video? I think he is just starting to realize the magnitude of the move he just made.

His butt is on the line now, no more excuses. He has molded the team the way he wanted to, now lets see the results

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Habs fans are overreacting imo, although I probably would if the face of my franchise got traded.

Weber currently is a better overall defenseman than Subban no question.
Is he on the decline? Maybe, but he's got at least 3 or 4 more years in him at least. Habs feel like with Price in his prime they need to win now.

In terms of the cap it's not bad for them either. They save some money on Weber's cap hit. Also the scenario of Weber playing until he's 40 and being useless is very unlikely. Two much more likely scenarios are a) he retires in which case Preds eat almost the whole penalty or b) he goes on LTIR (a la Pronger) and his cap hit is off the books.

You can complain all you want that PK is younger and will be still good 5 or 6 years from now. But it's equally likely that in 5+ years Price is out of his prime and the Habs are a bottom dweller in full rebuild in which case it won't matter.

In terms of the next season or two I think this trade makes Montreal a better overall team. The only thing you might say about it is that it is arguably a poor business decision by the team to trade their beloved star player.

Subban is irrefutably better than Weber. He's better now, and will be better for the rest of their careers.

Doesn't Bergevin look like a deer in the headlights in that video? I think he is just starting to realize the magnitude of the move he just made.

His butt is on the line now, no more excuses. He has molded the team the way he wanted to, now lets see the results

He doesn't know what he wants. He doesn't know what he's doing. I honestly feel bad for Habs fans, hell, I was one up until "this final straw." He's preached so many things for years now, and none of it comes to fruition.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Shea Weber is the better defenseman. Montreal needs some stability and they just added the best actual defenseman of the league.

Subban is a glorified forward playing defense. The guy is a risk.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Shea Weber is the better defenseman. Montreal needs some stability and they just added the best actual defenseman of the league.

Subban is a glorified forward playing defense. The guy is a risk.

No, not at all. Weber was the better D-Man maybe 2 years ago. Not any more. And certainly not for the next 10 years, at what he's paid.

Terrible trade for Montreal.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I still like it. As an opposing fan way more scared of the Habs in play offs now.

KreiderHouseRules*

NYR are willing to trade well-known "diamond in the rough" Ryan McDonagh for Erik Karlsson. They'd settle for Tyson Barrie though.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I still like it. As an opposing fan way more scared of the Habs in play offs now.

I assume you didn't watch Weber in the playoffs then ? He was not good and to make matters worse took plenty of unneccsary penalties. In general this is a problem with Weber. He takes stupid penalties can even get goaded into taking them .

Madevilz

Nov 9, 2003
Montreal
I don't like this trade at all for MTL, but wow has the speech about Subban changed over the past 12 hours... He went from unreliable overrated dman to perhaps one of the best dman in the league since the trade.

No doubt NSH wins this long term. But short term, Habs improved... but just by a bit, they do however get the desperately needed leadership. Weber is the better all-round dman I have no doubt, and I loved PK :(

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
The reason he was traded was because they didn't feel he was a team player and more of a distraction in and out of the locker room. They didn't feel like he was a "fit" on the team going forward & didn't bring the kind of leadership a 9 million dollar star player should bring. They feel Weber can be more of a fit in that sense. Plus he scores more goals on the PP than Subban and is sounder defensively.

I think its a pretty fair trade. a lot of people are downgrading Weber and in my opinion way overvaluing PK. I think PK's charisma and off ice PR team hide a lot of his on ice warts.

the problem I have with this comment is that "they" are same ones who signed him to a 9M dollar year contract. Did they wrongly evaluate him or is Bergevin simply a bad GM.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I'm still not sold on how to feel about this trade. I have a lot of non-rational feels that don't have a whole lot to do with hockey right now. Instead of dwelling on Subban I'm going to look at the positives that Weber can bring the Habs short term.

Powerplay - Will be better. It's automatically an upgrade right now. Weber's shot is going to score powerplay goals. It's going to score Gallagher powerplay goals, and it's going to score Shaw powerplay goals. It's going to open up space for Pacioretty and Gallagher. Weber's shot is going to have a big impact on this team.

Net Presence - Weber will clear the front of the net like nobodies business. If Carey can see it he'll usually stop it. Weber protecting the front of the net will likely be a very good thing.

Breakouts - Why I'm not as concerned as everybody else; Price loves to start our breakouts. The puck moves from out goaltender to a forward probably more often than any other team.

I'm still sad to see Subban go, but i'll remain cautiously optimistic over the short term.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC

Price is not going to be playing on a bottom feeder, he is toast within the next 6-12months

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I don't like this trade at all for MTL, but wow has the speech about Subban changed over the past 12 hours... He went from unreliable overrated dman to perhaps one of the best dman in the league since the trade.

No doubt NSH wins this long term. But short term, Habs improved... but just by a bit, they do however get the desperately needed leadership. Weber is the better all-round dman I have no doubt, and I loved PK :(

That's funny because the narrative on the other side changed, too. People saying Pernell would never be traded since he was the face of the franchise and best D in the league are now spinning this as a positive.:dunno:

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
You really think this team makes the playoffs? They just traded the goalie's best friend...lol

For a d-man who's game has gone downhill the last 4 years. I can't stop laughing about this, brutal

The goalie' best friend? What is this? Pee wee

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
:laugh:

Subban.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad