Confirmed Trade: [MTL/NSH] PK Subban for Shea Weber - Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Actually, thinking about, this seems like a win/win for the foreseeable future (say 5 years). Who knows what even exists then, does the NHL? Bread and Circuses and all that, maybe professional team sports is replaced with The Running Man or something? ;) Go chase that Cup while you still can!

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
That hasn't happened yet and he's fundraising the money. Not as generous a move as was stated

Until any of us make a pledge to raise $10 million over 7 years, there's absolutely zero reason to downplay his contributions off the ice. Calling him a cancer to the team (not you, others) is just flat out silly.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
That hasn't happened yet and he's fundraising the money. Not as generous a move as was stated

Really? The donation came from his charity, and he would have made up the difference I'm sure, but to say he's "not as generous a move as was stated" is the most tone deaf rediculous thing I've ever seen. If he gave $5k you take it and say thank you, him putting his name on a deal for as much as he did and getting **** for it though.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto

CH42bFf.gif

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Does anyone here think that the Hall for Larsson trade put the nail in the coffin for the Subban trade?

The Subban trade was almost immediately announced when the Hall trade was confirmed. And we all know Edmonton and Montreal were working on something. Prevailing rumour is Montreal wanted a HUGE return and were probably playing hardball with Edmonton. When Hall for Larsson was confirmed it probably confirmed to Montreal that Edmonton wasn't going to bite so they pulled the trigger on the Subban trade.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
Habs fans are overreacting imo, although I probably would if the face of my franchise got traded.

Weber currently is a better overall defenseman than Subban no question. Is he on the decline? Maybe, but he's got at least 3 or 4 more years in him at least. Habs feel like with Price in his prime they need to win now.

In terms of the cap it's not bad for them either. They save some money on Weber's cap hit. Also the scenario of Weber playing until he's 40 and being useless is very unlikely. Two much more likely scenarios are a) he retires in which case Preds eat almost the whole penalty or b) he goes on LTIR (a la Pronger) and his cap hit is off the books.

You can complain all you want that PK is younger and will be still good 5 or 6 years from now. But it's equally likely that in 5+ years Price is out of his prime and the Habs are a bottom dweller in full rebuild in which case it won't matter.

In terms of the next season or two I think this trade makes Montreal a better overall team. The only thing you might say about it is that it is arguably a poor business decision by the team to trade their beloved star player.

25th

Jul 11, 2009
Aylmer beach, Qc
As a Habs fan, I loved everything PK Subban. I'll miss him for sure but I don't understand how this is such a bad trade for MTL.

yes there is the contracts and the age difference but besides that, how can Subban be so much better than Weber right now. 4 years from now maybe but right now?

Explain to me why Weber is on the top 4 of team Canada and Subban isn't on the team. Team Canada is run by a bunch of idiots?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As a Habs fan, I loved everything PK Subban. I'll miss him for sure but I don't understand how this is such a bad trade for MTL.

yes there is the contracts and the age difference but besides that, how can Subban be so much better than Weber right now. 4 years from now maybe but right now?

Explain to me why Weber is on the top 4 of team Canada and Subban isn't on the team. Team Canada is run by a bunch of idiots?

Re bolded: Babcock

As to the rest, I think the issue is that the two players are, at best, equal right now. But PK has a lot of good years ahead of him.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Stunned they chose Therrien over Subban.

Great trade for both sides though; Preds changed the style of the team by adding a rock star as their window opens. Habs get a new captain in Weber, maybe better suited to the Habs current needs (developing the retool kids).

Huge risk for Nashville with that recapture penalty.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Both will be motivated.

Weber obviously knows how popular Subban was.

Subban uppset about how everything unfolded.

Can't wait for the season to start.

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
The Finnish tabloid Iltalehti wrote an article about the trade and actually used comments from HFBoards to show how disliked the trade was (my translation back to English):
  • The Canadiens management wanted to send a message to Subban that they hate him as a person
  • I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe. Montreal is a joke of an organization
  • I can't call myself a Montreal fan anymore

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
A few things to note that people might know. Weber contract was very front loaded.

Weber makes 1M per year for the last 3 years of the deal. He is unlikely to play that and only 3M in year 7.

So that 10 year deal is really a 7 year deal.

Mtl gets no cap penatly if he retires early (Nashville is screwed big time if he does).

Also Weber is 6'4 230 that is going to a easier eastern conference and he doesn't just rely on his strength to play, guy has a high hockey IQ to think the game. The contract is a none issue from a Mtl point of view.

Wow that actually changes my opinion a lot. What type of penalty is Nashville looking at if he retires early? You know he wont play for 1 mill so they better hope they restructure a deal some how around then.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Wow that actually changes my opinion a lot. What type of penalty is Nashville looking at if he retires early? You know he wont play for 1 mill so they better hope they restructure a deal some how around then.

Its BADD

Someone posted a chart earlier. But it's over 24M speard over the years left on his contract when he retires, so if he retires with 1 year, they get hit with a 24M cap hit that following year. If he retires with 2 years left on the deal its 12M for the following to years..

As long as he plays 3 more years, Mtl isn't effectived by this and even then it's like a 500k cap hit.

Preds can't do anything about it. NHL put this in the CBA knowing this would happen to these teams that signed those types of deals.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
Its BADD

Someone posted a chart earlier. But it's over 24M speard over the years left on his contract when he retires, so if he retires with 1 year, they get hit with a 24M cap hit that following year. If he retires with 2 years left on the deal its 12M for the following to years..

As long as he plays 3 more years, Mtl isn't effectived by this and even then it's like a 500k cap hit.

Preds can't do anything about it. NHL put this in the CBA knowing this would happen to these teams that signed those types of deals.

With the last 3 years of the contract being valued at $1M per year in terms of salary, the Preds are very likely looking at being penalized $8M per year for the last 3 years for Shea's contract.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Everything Subban does is a distraction to the team. Wether his intentions are good are not, the guy is just an attention monger. From the clothes to his on ice flailing, even the 10$ mil donation was a big attention grab. He could have just as well donated privately and not made a big deal about it but it was just as much about him as the Charity. Who knows what actually goes on in the locker room but I wouldn't be surprised if his presence alone rubbed guys the wrong way. Drama Queen. Might work in Southern US where Bettman wants all the attention he can get for the NHL.

This is sad. Really, I'm very sad for Montreal. It's my second favorite city in the world. But it has deep contradictions.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Stunned they chose Therrien over Subban.

Great trade for both sides though; Preds changed the style of the team by adding a rock star as their window opens. Habs get a new captain in Weber, maybe better suited to the Habs current needs (developing the retool kids).

Huge risk for Nashville with that recapture penalty.

If you mean "style" as in the way that the Preds play, Subban won't change that because Laviolette's system fits him perfectly. Weber, on the other hand, fit the Preds' old style of play, under Trotz, perfectly, and it's probably not a complete coincidence that his dominating play started to wane once Laviolette replaced Trotz. Trading Weber for Subban was about replacing one of the old guard with someone who better fits the new, up-tempo, don't-be-afraid-to-take-risks style of play that is the present and the future for the Preds. Conversely, Therrien gets a safer defenseman who probably fits his system better than Subban did. In that way, you could say that neither team is really changing their style of play. They just traded for players who better fit the style that they're coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad