Proposal: MTL-EDM

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Just cause the Habs have too many picks doesn't mean they should be irresponsible with them. They can do better than Puljujarvi with two second rounders. Draft picks are huge currency in the flat cap era, you don't use them on a highly speculative asset like that.
Its a top 5 OA , with size whos doing good right now. Habs cant draft for shit anyways

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Its a top 5 OA , with size whos doing good right now. Habs cant draft for shit anyways

Top 5OA isn’t always a guarantee of success. It’s just the way it goes. Look at Yakupov. And Galchenyuk to a large extent. I wouldn’t use that as a gauge.

Reactions: viceroy

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Would still take a guess or a 2nd+3rd.

try anything

Sure, but 2 seconds in a deep draft year is steep IMHO, for a player who chose to challenge the team that drafted him and then fell on his face. Reminds me a bit of Drouin, although Drouin managed a good season the year he got traded so he fooled everyone. Buyer beware.

Reactions: viceroy

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
2 2nds for AHL help? No thanks. I'd bet money on Poolparty never playing an NHL game again, that includes Seattle.

Zero interest.
That's a really really bad bet, someone will take a chance on him he's demonstrated enough skill to get a second chance somewhere and I say this as one of the more critical Oiler fans with respect to Pulju. When you have the trifecta of big, skilled, and fast (for your size) you get more than one swing at an NHL career and unlike most young players that struggle he isn't defensively suspect. His struggles really boil down to confidence, consistency, and hockey IQ; 2 of those 3 certainly aren't fatal flaws and coaches are quite used to helping young players overcome those issues, the last issue can be fatal, but if you simplify the game for said player you can generally find a nucleus of a productive player and then build their game out from there.

Trade wise I've been looking for a 2nd and a 4th with conditions that allow it to scale up based on Pulju's performance, I'd jump on a 2* 2nd's offer; though I have to admit watching lots of his clips recently I feel like I might need to take a few full games in to re-evaluate where he's at, seems like some progress was made just not sure how much.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Top 5OA isn’t always a guarantee of success. It’s just the way it goes. Look at Yakupov. And Galchenyuk to a large extent. I wouldn’t use that as a gauge.
There are some similarities between Yak and Pulju they both had offensive awareness issues, language barrier issues, strong, but inconsistent shots, and were at times too head strong to listen to the coach. Pulju does have clear advantages in being bigger, stronger, a better touch around the net, substantially better defensively, and a better playmaker. Yaks only advantages over Pulju are his best shot had a bit more oomph (but like Pulju wasn't an accurate shooter at full power) and Yak was a bit more energetic, but because of hockey IQ issues Yak didn't know how to funnel or channel that extra energy so he was mostly just erratic.

Reactions: Runner77

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
This trade really depends upon whether JP is set on leaving the Oilers. Value would obviously change if his agent makes it clear he wants out.

JP is a low floor high ceiling player and if he is willing to stay with the Oilers I would rather keep him around than watch him flourish for the Habs.

He will likely never live up to his draft selection but I still think he will be a servicable NHL player. Not a guaruntee of any of the draft picks we may be able to get for him. We managed a 3rd for Yakupov when he was much farther gone. Don't see why we don't try the same with JP.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
i would think the oilers would insta accept. poolparty will never play for them and a pair of 2nds in a strong draft is a solid return. They waited too long to move yak and would be dumb to make the same mistake here

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
:habs
Puljujarvi

:edmonton
2 x 2nds

Way too much for a soon to be bona-fide bust.

Armia and JP add some good size and net front presence for your middle 6.

No way no how does Puljujarvi suddenly turn into that. Armia is worth more because he actually can accomplish something on the ice.

Doing good? In some second rate league with no pressure or physicality? Norlinder is looking pretty good and he's just one 2nd rounder.

Would still take a guess or a 2nd+3rd.

try anything

Yeah let's just fling poop at the wall and hope for the best. Wanna send 2 3rd rounders out for the rights to Joshua Ho-Sang while we're at it?

Reactions: Runner77

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
There’s a spot on RW open, potentially on Kotkaniemi’s wing. Could be interesting but I don’t see MB trading 2 2nds unless he’s getting a for sure player.

Maybe 2nd and depth D for JP and Russell?

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I think Puljujarvi is a good target for Habs but 2 x 2nd is Too much. Wouldn’t go higher than Mtl 2nd + Ana 4th.

2 x 2nd would be a package of picks for a more sure commodity like Anderson.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Yikes. Im not a fan of draft picks over a good hockey trade but wow is this ever underwhelming, see hot trash.

We can do MUCH better than Pool with that. That's other than the fact that he is not what we need at all. We need big, skilled wingers that can produce at an elite level. Not another Armia with no defensive prowness.

I'd give up a 3rd just to flip a coin on him but not holding my breathe.

As is, huge pass from this habs fan.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
JP just doesn't have hockey sense. Julien would destroy him. There’s no point in gambling on JP unless it comes really cheap. 2x2nds is way too much.

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I think Puljujarvi is a good target for Habs but 2 x 2nd is Too much. Wouldn’t go higher than Mtl 2nd + Ana 4th.

2 x 2nd would be a package of picks for a more sure commodity like Anderson.
This i agree with.
Mtl 2nd + Ana 4th. i would do
Both teams are gambling here.
If and that a big if Puljujarvi becomes half decent it helps the Habs.
If he doesn't the Oilers get back 2 picks and a 2nd in a deep draft is never a bad thing to have.

Reactions: Benstheman

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think this would be a good deal for both sides. I still kind of want to give Pulju a chance to come back and see if he can carve out a 3RW role (sign Haula and run with a 3rd line of Neal-Haula-Pulju), but if two 2nds were on the table I think we’d have to take it. I think draft capital will be huge this off-season if teams want to move out contracts.

Would also accept a variation to the deal for the Habs to take Chiasson:

To MTL: Puljujarvi, Chiasson

To EDM: STL 2nd (56th OA), MTL 3rd (77th OA)

Chiasson only has 1 year left at 2.15, he’s not a bad player, but is overpaid and we need to stretch every dollar if we’re gonna shake up the roster this off-season. If we replace him internally with a winger like Benson, that’s an extra 1.3 mil to go shopping.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Prediction: Whether the oilers keep him or he goes elsewhere this guy is going to end up being a decent player at the least.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think this would be a good deal for both sides. I still kind of want to give Pulju a chance to come back and see if he can carve out a 3RW role (sign Haula and run with a 3rd line of Neal-Haula-Pulju), but if two 2nds were on the table I think we’d have to take it. I think draft capital will be huge this off-season if teams want to move out contracts.

Would also accept a variation to the deal for the Habs to take Chiasson:

To MTL: Puljujarvi, Chiasson

To EDM: STL 2nd (56th OA), MTL 3rd (77th OA)

Chiasson only has 1 year left at 2.15, he’s not a bad player, but is overpaid and we need to stretch every dollar if we’re gonna shake up the roster this off-season. If we replace him internally with a winger like Benson, that’s an extra 1.3 mil to go shopping.

That's actually not too bad. Habs could put Chiasson on the 4th line. I just don't see JP as a fit on the Habs though.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
i'd realy want Montreal to swing at Puljujarvi, he's a good reclamation project but this years draft has alot of interesting players till 50 and i feel like 2x 2nd is a bit steep for a guy with question marks, don't get me wrong, it could end up being a still, so is the 2x mid 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad